Having problems with Notepad

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by Karie, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Karie

Karie New Member

Having problems with Notepad

I'm trying to make custom themes for my Q. using Notepad. The first problem is that it saves it as a .txt file and then when I transfer the file and picture to the Q. via Activesynch. I try to upload to Applications/Data, the same for themes posted in the forums. The files appear on my PC (ActiveSynch) but not on the Q. What am I doing wrong??
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Saving Notepad Files

In Notepad, I use Save As and enter the .xml extension myself. I think that usually saves the file without the .txt extension. If yours doesn't, just rename the file after saving it.

You can also Google for XML freeware syntax editors.

Regarding the file transfer, are the Hidden or System file attributes on? That might cause them to "vanish" in File Manager on the Q even though they're really there.

Steve
  3. Karie

Karie New Member

aaarggg

Done everything and it still doesn't show up on the Q under Homescreens. What am I doing wrong?
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Diagnosing Problems

Unless you tell us the exact steps you're taking (and what you see and expected to see), how can we know what you're doing wrong? :wink:

If you've ensured the file attributes aren't a problem (or that you're ignoring them in File Manager), then I've exhausted my general advice.

Steve
  5. Karie

Karie New Member

Deets

Okay,

Used a theme I liked as a template. Changed some of the coding to customize it, (i.e. background pic, plugins) copied it in notepad and saved as "blahblah.xml" no problems.

Copied the file with the appropriate jpg through Activesynch. Problem number one, No Application/Data on the Activesynch screen. Only listed in the Registry on the Q.

Second problem, when I move the files to the application/data/home folder I can see them in Activesynch and on the Q. But as soon as I check the homescreens it's not listed there. And I've also tried the above with a soft reset.

Hope that helps shed a little light.
  6. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

ActiveSync & XML

If you mean that using Explore in ActiveSync didn't show the \Application Data folder, that's probably because Explore opens a view on the \My Documents folders. You have to expand the device icon to see all of the folders. However, if you actually moved the files over, it sounds like you already figured that out, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

The comment about the registry has me stumped. You shoudn't need to do anything in the registry.

That probably means there's a coding error in your XML. Only valid Home screens are listed; if yours isn't, something is wrong with it. (I'm assuming that you really meant \Application Data\Home, not \Application\Data\Home. If you got that extra level of folders in there, that might explain why your screen isn't showing up.)

Steve