Hard to read

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by AcesOver, Jul 1, 2006.

1. AcesOver

AcesOver New Member

Hard to read

I just picked up my Q today and I have searched everywhere for a way to enlarge the text. Is this possible and if so what applications (if any) do I need?
  2. pauljcote

pauljcote New Member

under view in the menu you can increase the font size but to a limited extent on most things. It differs on what you are looking at. I use reading glasses.
  3. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

What you need to do is this...
    The size of the text, on Home Screen at least, is determined by the layout you have applied to the screen. This is selected in Start=>Settings=>Home Screen. So you really have 2 options. You can go Start=>Settings=>Home Screen and pick a layout with bigger fonts, or you can edit the layout file to increase the font size.

Editing the layout:
    1. Connect with ActiveSync.
    2. Hit "Explore"
    3. Navigate to "\Windows Mobile Device\Application Data\Home".
    4. Copy the layout file you want to use to your desktop by dragging it over. Layout have file names in the format *.home.xml. So if you want to modify say, the default Verizon layout file, copy vzw.full.home.xml to your desktop.
    5. Open the file in NOTEPAD (very important. do NOT use Word or any other word processor to edit the file.
    6. First of all, rename the theme. At the very top of the file you will see:
    <author>Bilbo Baggins</author>
    <contacturl>http://www.thehobbitwhocould.com</contacturl>
    <title lang="0x0409">Giant Text Layout</title>
    <version>1.00.0001</version>
    Change the line that starts with <title lang="0x0409> My New Layout </title>
    7. Scroll down just a bit further and you will see where the font size gets setup. Just make the font size number bigger until your eyes get releif.
    8. Save the file to MyNewLayout.home.xml.
    9. Copy it back into the same directory on the Q where you got it.
    10. Go into settings and select it. You should now have gigantic fonts in your face.

Hope all this helps a bit.

Grego