Hack back button

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by q1abba, Dec 11, 2007.

1. q1abba

q1abba New Member

Hack back button

Any one know a hack to change the fuction of the back button on the side of the q below the scroll wheel? I never use it and would love to turn it into a lock key. Any help much appreciated!!
  2. tecmotimes

tecmotimes New Member

I never use this button either, and if there's a method to map it to something different (possibly a regsitry hack?) then I'd be very interested. A lock/unlock button would be perfect.
  3. ArXane

ArXane New Member

Id also love to find a way to hack the button. Perhaps move this to the hacks section?
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

---moved---
  5. This would be the most logical choice for a voice dialing button instead of having it in the corner of the keyboard.
  6. steindog99

steindog99 New Member

This is a start...

I got this from qusers.com. It is on their sticky hacks page...hope this helps...

[Remap device keys]
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Motorola/Keypad

Keys of interest:
    0x14 Default is SPKPHN (Speakerphone/Voicecommand)
    0x15 Default is EMAIL (Messaging/Backlight)
    0x24 Default is JOGSELECT (Trackwheel click ? Unconfirmed)
    0x32 Default is CAMERA (Camera button)
    0x34 Default is SIDEBACK (Back button below trackwheel)
    0x36 Default is SOFT2 (Right soft key ? Unconfirmed)
    0x44 Default is SOFT1 (Left soft key ? Unconfirmed)
    0x65 Default is TALK (Green Talk key ? Unconfirmed)
    0x67 Default is HOME (Home key)

You can interchange the values, although I would recomend against remapping some of them, such as softkeys. But you may want to make other keys (like the side button) perform the same function as another. I have my side key now set to do SPKPHN, which is pretty handy.
  7. BillThomas

BillThomas New Member

Okay, maybe I'm just an idiot, but I tried to change the speakerphone setting ( 0x14 if I'm not mistaken) to home, just because I keep accidentally hitting it, and I tried two different programs, PHM and Total Commander, but neither one worked. Can somebody help?
  8. rceubanks

rceubanks New Member

dunno if anyone has gotten back to you since you posted this issue. it seems that you have to reset your q after you make the change. mine didn't work until after the reset
  9. To udpate an old thread...do you have to set it to spkrphone to get the voice dialing to work as well?
  10. warrenis1234

warrenis1234 New Member

to also udpate an old thread, has anyone figured out how to make a button do different things?
  11. steindog99

steindog99 New Member

if you look up on this thread a little bit you will find some default settings. all yo need to do is change the STRING value for the particular key you are changing. make sure you do a soft reset afterwords. just so you know, lets say you remap your sideback button to open your email, your email button will no longer open it.
  12. steindog99

steindog99 New Member

ok so I need some help with this one. I have been trying to figure out how to remap the SIDEBACK (0X34) to open the calendar on the Q9c. I have tried just the program name (calendar) and I have tried various paths in the STRING value to navigate the button to the .exe file for calendar.

None of this has worked. I am wondering if you can put in a path to a file in a STRING value and have it open the program, or am I just wasting my time with this strategy? Anybody else still even working on this?
  13. warrenis1234

warrenis1234 New Member

thats what i meant also.. anyone figure out how to make it open programs other that the ones already on the list in the earlier post?
  14. claycat

claycat New Member

Try this...

I think I might have accomplished what you are trying to do, however it requires using AEButton Plus to remap keys as well.

AEButton Plus will only remap certain keys, the side back key is not one of them! What I did was use AEButton to map my camera button to launch right menu with a single click and lock the device with a double click. Once I made sure that worked I went into the registry settings mentioned above and changed the 0x34 to "CAMERA". I did a soft reset and low and behold the side button now behaves just like the camera button, both launch the right menu and lock with a double click. Since AEButton allows you to assign any app you should be able to map the side button to the calendar using this method. The only down side is it seems like you have to 'sacrifice' a button (in this case the Camera button) that will perform the same function.
  15. steindog99

steindog99 New Member

...some of us are trying to figure out how to do it without using an application like AE, or Resco, or any of the other numerous button mapping programs out there...
  16. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

thanx clay cat...