H.264 Video on Samsung Focus--Does it work ????

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by Videoman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Videoman

Videoman New Member

The Samsung focus phone specs say it can Play H.264 Video. After talking with Microsoft for more than 2 hours today I was very disappointed to learn that ZUNE does not support H.264 and nobody at Microsoft can tell me how to transfer a H.264 video to the phone without having to convert it to MP4 or WMV. Has anyone had any success at finding an app other than ZUNE that can transfer a H.264 video to the phone ????
  2. Focus Owner

Focus Owner New Member

The Zune PC client has supported H.264 since at least version 2.0 (released back in 2007). I've regularly added H.264 videos to my Zune HD and now my Samsung Focus. The videos were encoded mostly via programs like Handbrake or Fairuse Wizard. Once the files are created, just pop them into whatever media folder your Zune software monitors and transferring should be easy.
    By the way, H.264 and what most think of as MP4 (MPEG 4 Part 10) are essentially the same thing. All my Zune videos use the .MP4 file extension, but they are indeed H.264-encoded files.
    Here's a guide for setting Handbrake for the Zune HD:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/handbrake
    I've tried these files on both my Zune HD and the Focus. Even with videos encoded on the Zune HD's lower resolution, the videos look and play well.
    Hope that helps!
    Philip
    chris likes this.