gpsVP

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Lucky13MN, Feb 15, 2008.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

lol...that makes total sense when you put it that way! =) although it could save some first timers (like me once) some time if maybe it was set for at least a 100mile zoom!!
  2. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

OK, I do have a question about the cache lower levels option. Sometimes when I pan around the map at the 100' level, then go to save (this is all on my pc so far), it tells me there are 0 new segments, etc., but if I zoom out one step then I get some new segments.

So, I guess I am confused a bit about how the lower levels option works.

Thanks for suffering a n00b.
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

remember lower levels means towards the sky...backwards. the easiest way to see what is getting saved as cache on the pc when you mess with those options is to delete all saved folders you have so far on the pc. start up again and experiment with options. open the folders and click on the maps and see what got saved. each folder like level=10, level=13 etc is a zoom level. also when your just panning around and pulling maps on the pc/phone it is saving them. on a pc you'll see something like 20 or so "tiles" pop up per view...all those are being saved/cached.

hope that helps...dont hesitate to ask more!
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

It's starting to make sense, I've already copied all the saved tiles to my tf card, as I plan to try find my way to a 'hidden' lake that's loaded with fish Monday night for my weekend (Tue-Wed). If nothing else, I've got a regular topo map and TGPS and a damn good sense of directions.

I'll keep playing with everything and see what happens. Hopefully soon, I will have answers instead of questions, lol.
  5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

and you keep calling your card a "tf" card...all i can think is its a treefrog card...but thats crazy talk. what the heck is a tf card? =)
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Why, yes, that's exactly what it is. Aren't all my map tiles on your phone now? lol.

Transflash (i.e. storage) card. hehe.
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

OK, here's one from left field . . .

Now that I've got most of this figured out for my Ozone, does anyone have any ideas to be able to cache and use saved map tiles to the storage card on my Napoleon in a similar fashion? Since I can't seem to get Navizon to find the proper port for input from it's stand alone GPS driver to output to a port for gpsVP?

I have found that there are many things I like about my Napoleon over my Ozone, except for this.

TIA.
  8. rlridgeway

rlridgeway New Member

How do I know download is complete

This is a great forum.

I have a Samsung Jake running WM 6.1 standard.

Trying out gpsVP. It looks great but still learning.

Trying to download Google topo maps from the Jack. Is there a progress bar or othe indicator to let me know when download is complete and the size of the maps downloaded?

Thanks in advance for any advice
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

whatever you see on your screen, either the phone or pc version, is saved. as long as you set up a raster folder location!
  10. rlridgeway

rlridgeway New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I was under the impression the more detailed layers would be included.
    But in any case, how do I know when the download is complete and the size of the file?
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

what you see is what you get (saved). unless you do the "download all lower levels" stuff...which actually saves all the images going upward in altitude. are you seeing map tiles being saved in your raster folder(s)?
  12. rlridgeway

rlridgeway New Member

Thanks again for the reply but I need a little clarification: All that is downloaded is the view on the screen? So it doesn't download complete tiles unless a complete tile is on the screen?

I am seeing tiles saved on my raster folder but don't know if they are complete.
    And I am unsure how long to keep connected to allow for download.

I want to download an area of 20 X 20 mile that includes the most detailed level, but would also like the lower level (higher altitude) tiles for reference. What is the best procedure to do this?
  13. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

If you have a data cable to connect your phone to your computer, I would use the pc version to d/l the area you want to your pc with the options properly set and then xfer them to the proper location on your phone.

good luck
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yes, as wild earp said using the pc is much faster!

and as you can probably see by now...pre-saving map tiles can be tedious. for sure a 20sq mile can be real tedious pending on how much detail your after! if your zoomed to 100', and want all the tiles for 100', you'd need to move left/right/up/down in that 20sq...well...that will take forever doing raster.

might be better off finding a static topo for the area you need. did you check the database link at the gpsVP site? it is a bit barren but topo's are easier to find than others. it just needs to be a .img file. and their site has other map making stuff....

if you want...where's the 20sq? i'll do some searching if you want!
  15. rlridgeway

rlridgeway New Member

Wow! Thanks for the offer to help.

The area is in east-central West Virginia. The center point is approximately at this location on the Cranberry River: 38degrees 15'27.88"N 80degrees 22' 46.71W. I know there are different raster formats of the USGS 7.5minute topo quads out there and some are free. If free versions of these 24K maps would work, and we can find them, that would be great.
    I like the Google topos but I not up to spending hours fiddling on the computer downloading them.

I am now using the PC version of gpsVP.

Perhaps my question should be what do others who want detailed maps for off-road use of large areas do?

Here's a little background of my GPS/mapping needs needs
    I am a forester who has a need for GPS mapping capabilities. I also do quite of bit of hiking and geocaching. I used to use a GPS/mapping program called Backcountry Navigator which ran on a Dell Axim PDA with WM 5. The Axim recently broke. I replaced the Axim with a Samsung Jack running WM6.1. Backcountry Navigator will not run on WM6.1 standard devices.
    I have been looking for a replacement and I believe gpsVP fits the bill but may take awhile to learn.

Thanks again for the interest and help.
  16. rlridgeway

rlridgeway New Member

Oh yes, one other thing. I did find a 24K equivalent maps in the Garmin format that would work. I do however, prefer a raster syle maps of the USGS 7.5 minute Quads.
    At least, now I am at the point of being a little picky.
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

18. rlridgeway

rlridgeway New Member

Oh man, I live in the state of West Virginia, not that other place to our east. A mistake like that around here could get you tarred and feathered...lol

gpsfiledepot is where I found I found the 24K equivalent Garmin maps for West Virginia.

Really, thanks for the effort. It means a lot.
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

haha...yeah! just re-read and now i see the fine print! =)

also on that note! did you take a peek at that 469MB part 3 of 3 file? =)
  20. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Yes sir, if ah do recall, the western part of the great state of Virginia broke their ties to the rest of the state during the war of the Northern Aggression, or the Southern Rebellion, depends on who's side one was on way back then as to what the war should be called. In our classrooms, it was just the Civil War.

hehe. . . .:dft012:wink