gpsVP

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Lucky13MN, Feb 15, 2008.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

go to geocaching.com!

but yea...millions are hidden. you go find em...some you just sign a log book..some you trade goodies..some are just photoshoot points..some are multi-stage harder finds. can filter what you want! and you can register and hide some as well for others to find.
  2. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

Sorry what i was trying to find out was if you were manually entering coordinates or downloading packs for your area
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yes..downloading packs from geocaching.com! =)
  4. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Hey great thanks, looks like something that could be fun!
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Digging up bones, I'm diggin up bones . . . .

Well, I started to ask for info in the Ozone forum, but found this thread instead.

I've got both a Nap and an Ozone, both of which have stand-alone GPS chips. Right now, I want to use gpsVP on my Ozone with cached maps, since alot of places I like to go have no cell service. Within gpsVP's GPS settings, there is no setting for using the Windows Intermediate driver which both of the above mentioned phones use for their stand-alone chips. I have also read the using Navizon, I can export it's findings to a port for import with gpsVP. I haven't installed Navizon yet, just gpsVP. I'm not wanting to geocache (yet), just use the tracking features that 'seem' to be available within gpsVP using maps saved to my 8gig TF card.

Long story, short, I guess if any one is willing to point the way, I am ready for the steep 'learning curve'.

TIA.
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

not sure i can answer the internal chip question...you are right though as to no option. i think i did hear that app or another can port it to a com. i do know on my saga gpsvp can access the internal chip on com port 9...i still use external bluetooth though for speed and accuracy! =) if you get it to see the chip i should be able to answer any question from there!
  7. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

i never bothered to look on the ozone but see if the multiplexer is under start settings system.

did you find the n america map for gpsvp?
  8. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

@ larsdennert, on my Ozone when I go to start settings, there is no 'system' option, but thanks.

For the reader, yes Navizon will get a fix and export it to a com port. For me the input port that works on the Ozone was com4. COM4 shows "(Active Device)" and COM7 shows "(SERIAL_BTUR)", but I used COM4. Then in the same settings screen where you set the input port, you can pick an output port (as 'virtual port'), then chose that port within the settings for gpsvp and it works!

@TreeFrog, so I've got it working, now what? But first, let me tell you what I want out of this. I basically want to be able to use this as if I had google maps running even in locations that I have no cell signal. I don't care about directions, just want to be able to cache maps on my TF card or elsewhere, and then be able to set waypoints, etc., with some sort of map to guide me to and fro. Make sense?

Please let me know if it can be done, and if so, how (I've got the 'raster maps' set to Google in gpsvp, but still stuck on the 'world' map), or if this won't do what I want, just reply with, "no way, dude". On a side note, because of this setting in gpsvp, when I fire up Google maps, it shows me in the middle of some lake in Russia until it grabs sats and I 'go to my location'.

TIA
  9. larsdennert

sounds like com4 is the gps. can you set gpsvp to com4? if not, google gpscom on xda-developers.

Sounds like you also need the garmin north america map. It's 12mb and has all major streets. it is a bit of a pain to extract from the palm installer but works great with gpsvp and is free.
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

like lars said there is a world map that is easily available but it's pretty "rough"!

if you set it to raster..set the type (google/live)..hit enable raster downloading..and set a raster cache folder <<< all these are under the raster map settings...then you should start seeing maps download! also make sure under setup make sure allow internet connection is on!!

if you start seeing google maps your aok. and next time you restart it should start at last map and not the ocean off India! you will also see it added a folder called GPS Raster on the card. if you do google a folder called gmap will fill up upon caching. live...msmap. satellite maps...another name. OK.

you can start caching on you phone this way which can be slow...or...download the pc version...repeat above steps...move entire cached maps to the exact folders on phone. Easy...sorta! cause each frame that is cached is at that zoom level (altitude). so if ya want multiple levels you have to cache multiple levels...zoom levels.

another kinda weird option that sorta works is under raster maps..download maps..there is add current view/start with/and all lower levels...all i know is lower levels means say you looking at a map at 100'..it will cache all maps higher in altitude but not the current surrounding. seems backwards to me!
    all i do is stick with with a comfy level for the case (driving/walking) and scan the area to cache.

also note you have to set your tracks folder!

there's your quickie tutorial....i got more when you need! also if you want to change colors of tracks (default=pink)..or waypoint flag icon changes...night view scheme...etc...I can do!

EDIT....also uncheck show garmin maps to lose that world map!!!
  11. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

When I set gpsvp to com4, it flickers between 'fix' and 'no fix', so using navizon to ouput to a port works, but I will also look into the program you suggested.

@ Treefrog, Thanks! I am goind to follow your tutorial, so far, though I still have to find the setting in gpsvp to cache to the card, but this is a great start, sure I'll have more q's later.

late.
  12. larsdennert

no i mean north america which is down to street level but not residential streets. the world map it comes with is really rough. you have to load n am separately.
  13. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Okey dokey TreeFrog, I've figured out how and am starting to d/l some map tiles to my TF card, I think I like the 'live.com hybrid' style the best. But as you said, it's kind of slow, so I tried using the PC version of gpsvp. However, I have no GPS device to connect to my PC, therefore gpsvp doesn't find any map data worth a damn when I follow 'the same steps' as you mentioned. Hmm, maybe it would work better with my phone connected to my PC via ActiveSync?

I told you I would have more questions. Then comes the good part, I gather that these maps are d/l where I have cell/data service, how do I use them when I don't?

TIA again.
  14. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

OK, I get it now. Do you care to elaborate on where to get it and how to extract it?

TIA
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

if you have internet on your pc and you designate a cache folder..ie..on your desktop..and enable raster...all the same steps as you did on your mobile it will pull maps and cache them. no need for gps on your pc..just need to cache maps of where you plan to go with no cell data!! then move/combine cache folders to the same folders on device!

and yes..as long as you have the maps on your device and have no data signal..gpsvp will grab appropriate maps. Note: if you only cache 100' level maps on your pc to move to device then make sure in gpsvp you zoom to the 100' level. (can you see how time consuming this could be if you wanted to cache say New York...and have every zoom level increment cached!) the cache lower levels option helps. confusing..i know!

did i answer anything...lol!!?
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yeah...i grabbed it once from an update pack right off Garmins site. just extracted it from the exe.
  17. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Well, yeah, sort of and it's confusing sort of, especially for a professional n00b as I'm know over @ HTR, lol. But I did follow the step in italics, and it did pull maps, but the main gpsvp window never gave me a map, let alone give me an option of looking at where i plan to go. I am sure it is something simple I have missed in the settings for gpsvp on my desktop since the instructions you gave seem very straight forward.

Since I couldn't actually get a map to show on gpsvp on my desktop, the only maps it pulled and saved were either very zoomed out versions of the world (couldn't find the 'disable garmin world map setting') or just a generic picture of a greyed out camera with a greyed out circle/slash through it.

EDIT: I figured it out. I started me somewhere off the coast of africa, hence no data, I panned around to North America and such and now I'm getting some data/maps! Thanks a bunch!
  18. larsdennert

19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ahh...yes! The ole "off the coast of Africa" starting point! It should remember where you last left off now that you have gone elsewhere!!
  20. larsdennert

that's where zero lat and zero long is...