gpsVP

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Lucky13MN, Feb 15, 2008.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ya...those maps are pretty bad!

Do you have data on a home pc? If so you can cache up some maps there and move them to your Q.
  2. abdomega

abdomega New Member

What do you mean by that? Are you asking me if I have the internet on my home computer? Yes. But I have no idea where to download maps from. Do you know where I can cache them up?

So far, I've downloaded the program and that crappy garmin map from online, then moved it into my Q during ActiveSync.

Thanks for the reply.
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

download gpsvp for a PC...enable rastering for like WindowsLive...choose where on pc to cache your raster/maps...view city or whatever on pc and at what altitude...move entire cache folder to Q to spot where you chose to save cache on Q.

Ill be back to my pc here in a bit if you need more help!
  4. abdomega

abdomega New Member

I'll try that when I get home (6:00 ish, I'm at work), and see if it works. Thanks again.
  5. abdomega

abdomega New Member

This program is glitchy as hell... on PC! I've been working at centering in on my city and for some reason it freezes up and just shows big black or white squares as opposed to generating the map. This is frustrating.
  6. abdomega

abdomega New Member

Ok, Treefrog. Post again so I can thank you. I did what you said and it worked. I have the equivalent of a googlemap (without routing capabilities of course) on my phone without data. This is actually pretty cool.
  7. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yea...glitchy is good word for the pc app! Have to zoom/move slow and disabling the world map helps too!

I did an entire Island in the San Juans so I could geocache in a non-data area and still see roads and stuff!

Glad ya got it working!!! :smile:
  8. abdomega

abdomega New Member

How do you disable the world map?
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

on the Q or PC? Pretty much the same I think....

You can go to maps > garmin maps > and either uncheck "show garmin maps" or in the same area click on "maplist" and highlight the map(s) and hit activate/deactivate!
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

both pc and mobile gpsvp have been updated this month...for anyone using! this is still one of my most favorite apps for my Q, mostly cause i gps alot and use this primarily for geocaching..along with cachemate. most noticably this update fixed some rendering issues on the pc app but have noticed a bit of new things for the mobile side.

i still would suggest gpsVP to anyone who is or wants to get into geocaching on the cheap! or for that matter anyone needing to record tracks on a google or live map...and that can be quickly converted and seen in say google earth.
  11. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

So am I reading it right, Google took this project over?
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i thought the devolper just closed his site and moved to a google one but dunno. there is alot of forum talk missing and it seems like less info at the google site though. thanks again for introducing this app!
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

new version gpsVP 0.4.18 was released a couple days ago. support for gpx waypoint files has been added so thats cool. i haven't had a chance to try it yet....
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

heading off to the pacific northwest tomorrow nite for a lil 3 week vaca...driving..with 3 kids and the wife (ouch)! first time ever i did a geocache travel query for my route to load up into gpsvp. selected anything within 1/10 of a mile off the highway and got 237 waypoints loaded up (denver to seattle)! if we stopped at every one we should be there by next monday!! haha..probably just hit the ones located at rest stops!
  15. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Does anyone know what the Team GPS settings are for? I just loaded up this software last week and so far love it. I just wish there was more documentation. Anyway, if anyone could explain the Team GPS settings that would be great.
  16. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

does it already have the caches in there or did you have to load gpx and loc files?
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

not too sure what that is! i think i found some info once on their google site and it said beta only...might not work. i think though its too track buddies on your "team"....
  18. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

Thats what I thought too but I cannot get it working.
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ya...you have download the gpx/loc/wpt files. gpsvp uses wpt..havnt tried the new gpx feature. but i take the entire gpx zip..drop into swiss army knife..export as a mass wpt for gpsvp. i also mass export again for cachemate. works well!

btw...just nabbed a cache at a reststop just outside of billings montana!
  20. bheidemann

bheidemann New Member

What does that mean? I was looking for information about geo caching but appearently I am missing something. Who puts out these caches? Are you supposed to take them with you or just find them and leave them for the next person to find?