gpsVP

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Lucky13MN, Feb 15, 2008.

1. nvgremlin

nvgremlin New Member

I have the Sprint Q9c.
    The 'normal' GPS works great. I see right where I am on the Google maps.
    I just really need to get a accurate Lat/Long info. I was recommended to use VP from the other thread.

Any help would be great!!

David
    Vegas
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

From what I'm hearing gpsVP cant find an internal gps. I've been keeping my eyes open for one though! Seen some pretty simple yet cool ones for PPC..
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

If that's true then crazy as it sounds install navizon. It should be able to see the internal gps. Then have Navizon simulate/export the gps on another com port. When you run Navizon you could then run gpsvp and set it to the virtual port.
  4. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Here's my Navizon ref code. Good luck. 5E585F5C5D
  5. nvgremlin

nvgremlin New Member

Wow... Maybe it is just late (or the adult beverage)... But that totally lost me. :frown:

I'll have to go back to the other thread, but I thought GPSVP *was* the fix to get Lat/Long on a 9c...

What is navizon? Where do I get it?
    Then, export it to where so it sees it on the same device? (sigh)
    I guess I'm not as techie as I thought.

David
    Vegas
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I'm just can't talk on the 9c with internal gps as I'm Q1 w/external. I do know gpsVP doesn't have a "Intermediate Driver" option which I think you need for internal gps. And again not sure if that GPSID thingy fixes that problem or not! If you can get gpsVP to see your internal gps chip then you would be set!

I did check out Navizon and it does have a export function. So if you tried that and got it to see your internal you could export to say com 1 and set gpsVP to that also. Dunno... Try the Navizon lite free download!

Good option larsdennert!
  7. oresteez

oresteez New Member

i still cant figure out the gpsVP...
    i load the maps, but then when i zoom in, all i see are green circles...
    no streets..etc..
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yup..that map is pretty useless. I can mail ya a better one....

don't forget you can cache what ever live/google maps you want from a pc and move them to your Q for use.
  9. oresteez

oresteez New Member

i have to wait till i get home to download that map, but i think i have it already, and maybe i'm just not correctly viewing it..i have to play with it some more... i guess lol :)
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

that one is gmapbmap...the one with green blobs is conus something, useless!
    just go to map list and make sure to activate (+) gmapbmap..should see every major USA road, poi's, rest stops etc... Nothing too pretty but I figured out the color scheme business if ya want to enable that.
  11. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

I am trying to use this software and import Garmin maps from my Garmin CDs as well as garminmapsearch.com

So far, I have been unable to load any maps, and the Garmin software - it is unlocked - can't see my phone when I tell it to search for a device. I don't have a Garmin GPS, and the Garmin XT software doesn't work at all with my GPS, so I'm looking for a way to first of all, figure out which 00xxxxx.img map I am trying to export - not naming maps is a pain in the ass by the way, thanks Garmin - and secondly, get the maps over to my Q9c. If anyone has been successful in converting a Garmin map to a usable format and size by gpsVP, I'd be forever grateful for the instructions.

On a side note, US Cellular Q9c's do not have the Intermediate Driver available to select, though there are entries in the registry for it. I am running without any hacks - except HTCUnlock - and my Holux GPS works flawlessly with Google Mobile Maps and gpsVP, except for the fact that I can't import maps into gpsVP. When I download a map from garminmapsearch.com, it shows that it is loading the map, but then it still shows the blank world map with me standing there in a plain white field. HELP PLEASE...
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

pretty sure the map you got from garminsearch is the one I have. did you zoom in/out after picking that map in the options?
  13. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

Yep, pan, zoom, reset software, reboot phone... everything. Still blank.
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

hmmm...I'll try and help ya out tomorrow if you want. gotta go sleep on trampoline w/kids now! every img ive tried has worked great....not very detailed img's of course...but i could see them! everything else has worked too..I mostly use it for geocaching now but making tracks has been helpful too!
  15. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

Cool... I'm reinstalling Garmin Mobile XT right now, in hopes that I can figure out how to get it working with my Holux GPS and Q9c... It's not looking good though, so I dunno... I tracked myself driving home today with Google Maps, but without the whole cursor tracking, talking directions, etc, it was a pain in the ass more than a help...

I want to use it for caching and fishing mostly... always nice to be able to drop a plot marker on the Bluegill hotspot you just found.

**UPDATE EDIT**

I successfully installed Garmin Mobile XT without using a Garmin GPS unit. I now have fishing hotspots, city maps, everything, all on my 512MB Storage Card. I need an 8GB card... =)
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

very very cool!
  17. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all night...
  18. JMak

JMak New Member

Please forgive dredging this up....

Dragonriot, what did you install? I thought that to get Garmin to work that you needed the sd card from Garmin.
  19. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

Not necessary, but I did suggest that people e-mail me if they want to know how to get it to work...

(ROT13.com)cubravkmbea@tznvy.pbz
  20. abdomega

abdomega New Member

Ok, I downloaded GPSVP and I downloaded Garmin’s America and World Map. I zoomed in on my city and the maps are very rudimentary. Does anyone know of a way I can download a more detailed map of just my city. I don’t have nor want data. I don’t want GPS or nav or any of that. I just want a free map in my handheld.

I perused the GPSVP site to find more specific sites but they’re either awful, topographical or of Canada or something. There is nothing that would zoom into my city.

Any ideas?