gpsVP

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Lucky13MN, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

gpsVP

Been using my Freedom keychain GPS with my Q with great success with MS Live and Google but was missing something... a tracklog.

I found a cool piece of free software called gpsVP that filled that void VERY well and exceeded my expectations.

The nice thing about it is that you can load other map files (Garmin for example) or download Google, MS Live or an opensource map from the Internet as you go.

Shows speed, max speed, distance to destination, etc... lots of nice options (backlight control, cache, and more).

Only used it today so far but figured I'd post it up, could be handy for someone (hiking, biking, snowmobiling).

Here's a link if you're interested:
    http://gpsvp.garminmapsearch.com/?page_id=5
  2. cheri

cheri Active Member

hey ive been eye balling the keyfob thingy for a while...this might push me closer in the buying it direction lol and also if its "on sale"

Thanx for the info.
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

So you can load the program and the worldbasemap from garmin and not need a data connection for mapping?
  4. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Correctomundo, just wish I had it to verify though.

5. oresteez

oresteez New Member

does this program have a tough learning curve or is it just me? i just installed it and am so lost right now, lol...i dont see streets..i see little green circles when i start to zoom in..
  6. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

It can be a little intimidating at first, but once you realize what everything does and how it all works together it's actually pretty intuitive.

You need to enable the maps if you want to see streets, etc... such as rasterized maps from Google or Live (or the other option, some open source project map which is nice too).
  7. oresteez

oresteez New Member

so you need more than jsut the world base map or the Americas map that garmin offers? those maps do not have streets on them..is that correct?
  8. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Yeah, at best they have major highways.
  9. oresteez

oresteez New Member

ok i'll repost if i find a good map to go with it
  10. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

America's base map seems to have major streets in Los Angeles. Took me a bit to extract it from the Palm installer.
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I'll second that learning curve business!! I did figure out how to see streets and what not..but a manual would be nice!! Like changing to mph would be nice...:smile:!

haha..mph etc is "Imperial Units". That was rough!
  12. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Haha, yeah... some of it isn't that intuitive but I guess I'm just the type that goes through every menu and option within the first 15 minutes of opening new software. Sometimes the hard part for me is remembering where something was.

I'll have to load it again and look at it, after loading MOL4 I still have some things left to add.
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Let me when you do!! Having trouble switching maps and telling which one I'm lookin at! I got two downloaded ones and I think I'm able to look at a live.com map..but who knows. I'm a bit lost and I have a damn map right in front of me!!
  14. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

It's installed... any way you can send me the maps you're using (if it's not illegal)? I always just downloaded as it went (data plan).
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I got the main USA map from the gpsVP map locater (which looks like it's just a high level map), and some state one's here. It looks like if you have live or google enabled and a downloaded map opened they overlay. When you zoom in past what the downloaded map has live/google starts pulling data. Which you can cache to the SD. I guess I just need to find more detailed maps or somehow cache an entire cross country trip. On that note..still trying to figure out how to set up a A to B trip with fastest route and then if there is a working re-route function!!
  16. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Pretty sure it doesn't do routing, it's more a means to see where you are and where you are headed on a map.

My main purpose for it was to log track info which Google Maps and Live do not do.
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yea..after much reading and playing you are right. Still very cool!! Nice find!
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

And one recommendation to anyone trying this!! Download the PC version and get use to what does what and where! Also a good place to try out maps! I don't have bluetooth on my PC, but I wouldn't doubt if you could map a course with it through Live or Google and then move the cached maps to your Q....hmmmm.
  19. nvgremlin

nvgremlin New Member

Help!

I've downloaded GPSVP... I've installed it...
    But I can't get the Q9 gps info to activate inside GPSVP. Right now, just make it show something... Anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

David
    Vegas
  20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Which Q9 do you have...the one with true internal gps? I didn't see under settings any Intermediate Driver setting, but 20 Com ports to choose! Works great with my external unit..com port 1.

Could check their forum about internal gps or maybe someone here with a Q9xx will chine in!

You could try that GPSID utility as well!