Gps

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by DslLmi, Sep 16, 2007.

1. DslLmi

DslLmi New Member

Gps

The Verizon Q9m has GPS built in.... After talking to Verizon they told me that the GPS in the phone will only work with there network.... I have been using Windows Live Search.

About Windows Live: http://mobile.search.live.com/about/

Download from your phone : http://wls.live.com

And it has Built in GPS when I try to use it there .... It is always off.. By somewhere around 50-100 miles. Any ideas how to make this work? I have turned the GPS on Full not the 911 mode... I love the program and it great with the gps off... But it would be nicer with it working.
  2. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

At this moment only with an external GPS antenna i.e. BT GPS. Unfortunately VZW has it locked out and it is not like on a normal phone where you can use VZ Navigator. That is however in the works but there is no release date on it.

-A
  3. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Thats because it doesn't have a built in GPS. It has aGPS which is so much like a GPS that it gets called GPS.
  4. DslLmi

DslLmi New Member

Can you explane that one a little better?
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Assisted GPS

Read the Assisted GPS Wikipedia article. That should explain it well enough (although with lots of technical details).

Steve
  6. Eugene

Eugene New Member

aGPS is a location service used for 911 and VZNavigator. Since to the end user aGPS GPS perform the same function, locating your position many people consider aGPS a real GPS and say phones like the Q9 have GPS. They are close to the same, but aGPS requires use of the network which is why other software can't use it.
    IMHO they should have given aGPS some other name so as to not make it so confusing.
  7. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

aGPS uses the network and true GPS uses satellites. aGPS is never as accurate as real GPS. Plus if you are out of the coverage area...aGGPS can't work hence VZ Navigator stops working.

**posted from my Q
  8. DslLmi

DslLmi New Member

This may seem pointless but why did they do that????
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Assisted GPS

If by "that", you mean create a GPS system that wasn't as accurate as "true GPS", read the article that I linked to. Basically A-GPS works better in urban canyons and other places where GPS signals are blocked and on devices that don't have the computing power to calculate your position.

Steve
  10. Eugene

Eugene New Member

it also forces you to buy their "GPS"/navagation service.
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Forcing GPS

I think "force" is too strong here. You can always buy your own GPS receiver and program. Verizon didn't cripple Bluetooth, so you can connect to any Bluetooth GPS receiver.

Steve
  12. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I suppose I should have said forces you to use the service if you want it all in the phone. I've been looking for a GPS anyway so I'm going to make sure what I buy has BT.
  13. DslLmi

DslLmi New Member

A friend ahas a little palm GPS and I tried that out with Windows Live and it worked great....