gps without data plan on q9m help please

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by shuck7, Dec 27, 2007.

1. shuck7

shuck7 New Member

gps without data plan on q9m help please

hello, i have a q9m and was wanting to get an external gps unit. I was going to splurge on a garmin but i found i might be able to do this cheaper by getting a gps unit for my phone. i have data block on and a wifi card, since all the areas i have are wifi capabale and i cannot afford the data plan. i was wondering what my best option is for a gps unit and which software to get. i was looking into getting the Deleo but it appears i need the data plan for that one to work. if someone could please suggest an external gps and software (i would like to stay under or around 100 dollars) that would be amazing. I am slightly an amature what it comes to this, ive done a few hacks and read a lot on forums about this. Thanks to anyone who responds
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

how do you plan on using a wifi card when you are in a car?
  3. shuck7

shuck7 New Member

i dont, i only use wifi when im not in the car, i just wanted a gps system that i could use to navigate me places while in the car, i just mess around on the internet in class and at home so i can use the wifi then.
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

gps no worky without data...
  5. shuck7

shuck7 New Member

so i have no options at all without a data package?
  6. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

* confuzzeled *

The GPS unit will need data from some place in order to work. Why not use WIndows Live, Google maps, Map quest via the WiFi?
  7. crashdau

crashdau Member

Why not try that key fob gps unit? it's like $90 and bluetooth capable so u can pair it with your phone and use google maps. + would have gone that route myself but Sants brought me a Garmin nuvi 650 this xmas. Sorry don,t 'member the name f the key fob...something like freedom ...
  8. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

But will the OP be able to use the wi-fi card while actually on the road? When they're stopped somewhere in range of a hotspot, sure, but otherwise, they're SOL.
  9. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

true.. he may have to write something down * low- tech smiley * The very least he can leave the map view open or leave the turn by turn thing open.

If the OP knows what the destination is, can look for landmarks/street names for where to turn and such
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yes thanks mike this was my point....
  11. go with a standalone gps. I did this year. Good thing too. At the time I was going to get tomtom for my treo. I bought a Garmin 660? Anyhow, I am now on a q and didn't waste money on a gps that is good with one device.
  12. oresteez

oresteez New Member

doesnt seem worth it to buy a workaround for 90 when u can buy the low end tom tom for 120 on sale....just keep your eyes open for it
  13. Jerdizzle

Jerdizzle New Member

I spent about 40 bucks on my entire set up...Unfortunately people are just WAITING for the chance to tell me how unethical I am for not buying the software so I stay rather quiet about it.

I will however tell you that this is the gps receiver I bought after doing a bunch of research on them I've had no problems with it and I hardly EVER have to charge the thing. It works perfectly. http://www.buygpsnow.com/OnCourse-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-Edition-3-(WAAS-enabled)_882.aspx
  14. spikejnz

spikejnz New Member

Not true! Garmin Mobile 10 will work without a data plan! Granted, to take advantage of some of the features, such as gas prices and weather, you do need a data plan.

I think you'd be better off buying a Garmin instead of a TomTom! To be fair, I do work for Garmin, but I've gotten to play with quite a few of our competition's devices, and I think we have a far superior product.
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Yea..I've grown and sprouted since then! Been using gpsVP without data!
  16. Jerdizzle

Jerdizzle New Member

How do you use the gpsVP without a data? O_o
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

check out the gpsVP thread or the developers thread...if ya need more help let me know! I've been getting used to it...
  18. derrickwhitt

derrickwhitt New Member

19. oresteez

oresteez New Member

for that kind of money, you might as well buy a real gps :)
  20. derrickwhitt

derrickwhitt New Member

My phone and bluetooth gps is much easier to carry around than a regular gps unit :smile: