gps use

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by stom43, Dec 15, 2007.

1. thelederfam

thelederfam New Member

Navizon

Tell me more about the Navizon capabilities with the Q9m and where to find the program.

2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

www.navizon.com
    basically how it works is, those with phones with GPS units record the locations of towers and navizon uses that (more accurate) information to improve the accuracy of the tower based triangulation. I stopped using it because they aren't currently paying CDMA users to report towers...
  3. WilliamsJK2

WilliamsJK2 New Member

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm contemplating trying it...
  4. thelederfam

thelederfam New Member

Navizon

I installed the program which has a 15 day full version trial. The Q9m doesn't have WiFi or GPS so the location is already reduced. I don't see any location on the dashboard even cell towers. I get the following message "No known Cells or WiFi nodes in range". The Navizon forum had a comment that the Q9m didn't work with cell towers. Where does that leave the Q9m with this program? Basically blind to location data in my opinion. It does download data from the web to the phone if you have the phone configured to run "local database (premium feature)" so you can search for places and have them displayed on the map. But Google Maps can do that too. I will try tech support and see what they say. If this works to supply location data to the Q from even the cell towers it would be better than nothing. I may just buy a BT GPS unit for the Q and use it with Google Maps and WLS.

5. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Yea vzw has done something to the Q9 to prevent Navizon from working. More sales of vznavigator for them.
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

also, they (Navizon) aren't currently keeping a database of CDMA towers...
  7. thelederfam

thelederfam New Member

I am not convinced that it true! I see lots of Verizon cell sites in my area from their website just not yet from my phone. They also reward points for locating/verifying CDMA cell towers.

8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

when did they start that again? the last time I checked, their system wasn't getting useable data from CDMA towers...
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

I used Navizon for a couple of years with my Q1 vzw. I could easily see if it still works as the phone is still in service with one of my employees. I'll check it if I get a chance.
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

tried it again this morning, and it doesn't like WM6.1...
    it started up once, wouldn't get a lock (won't use the intermediate driver) and crashed on all subsequent load attempts...