*GPS Usage*

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by sjm1550, Apr 12, 2008.

1. sjm1550

sjm1550 New Member

*GPS Usage*

I have a 5mg data plan and wanted to know if using the Gps such as Windows Live uses alot of data or any at all since it has the GPS chip. Such as viewing the maps, doing local searches, direction and etc. If it does do you guys know around how much data is being used? :embarassed:
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i think with google it tells you when you first load the app how much data you have used
    but yea you have internal GPS but the program itself uses data to pul up the maps
    so you use data no matter what
    and chances are you will destroy your 5mb plan if you use it alot
  3. unsung

unsung New Member

sjm 1500, if you intend to use gps on a moderate basis as well as surfing the net, checking email, basically anything that uses data, i would go for the unlimited data plan.

i rarely use gps, but surf alot, use a 3rd party IM'ing app daily (slick), and have 2 email accounts sync'ing every 30 minutes, and various other apps that use data. my data usage since i've got my Q is around 35-60mb each pay period. trust me, you don't want to get charged per kb after you run over that 5mb package ;)
  4. NOSintake

NOSintake New Member

i also have a 5mb plan, and i used live search twice (once with gps). the time with gps, it ran mayb 5-8 mins, and it killed my data. i had 4.8mb remaining (or around that), and after using that, i was down to about 1.3mb
  5. packers17-0

packers17-0 New Member

If you're using google maps or live search its gonna eat up your data pretty fast because it needs to use the data everytime you move around in the map to download new sections of it.

What I would suggest is if you wanna use the internal (non assisted) gps chip, get yourself Garmin Mobile XT with North America City Navigator. This app will let you use the internal gps chip even if you have your phone on airplane mode. You'll need a minimum 2gig sd card for it tho.

Hope that helps.
  6. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Am I missing something , but doesn't the Garmin Mobile XT have a GPS reciever so that you don't need to use the Q's GPS? Just asking since the Q1 doesn't have that internal GPS chip, right?.
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

No. It comes with the card, which has all the data on it. You don't get a GPS receiver. Its not a unit, its a program.
  8. packers17-0

packers17-0 New Member

Mexiken is right, garmin mobile xt is a program. I think it costs somewhere around $100 and it comes with the north america maps or if you look hard enough you can actually just download it and install it on your card. All Q9h's have an internal GPS chip but if you use google maps, live search and telenav, they will try to use ur gprs or 3g connection if available. the Garmin software doesnt use it at all and as a result you get a full gps unit. I've turned my phone into aiplane mode and then opened garmin and within a couple of min it finds the satellites and you're good to go.
  9. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I was referring to this Garmin Mobile 10 for Smartphones, thought I was talking about the same thing.. :tounge:
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well, you answered your own question :smile:
  11. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

LMFAO, :tounge:

Another question, why wouldn't you just get the Garmin 10?? instead of the Garmin XT?
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Are you being serious ????

If you are, well. If you have the Q9h, you have built in GPS. Why would you buy the stand alone unit if you already paid for the phone and it has that feature in it ???? Yeah its not the best, but it works very well with GMXT actually. It locks rather quickly with it. You're just wasting money by buying it....

Makes sense for people with the Q, but not the Q9h.
  13. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Yes I have the Q1. It was mentioned in my other thread but I guess you miss that.

If I were to have the newer Qs, then I would agree with you.
  14. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes I did. I only saw what was posted here, and I don't remember seeing that you had a Q1. Oh well then yeah, I would say go for it with the "puck" as we call it. However, I believe those may not work with all phones, so if you end up changing phones someday, or something to that affect, it may not work with your new device. Whereas buying a universal one might. Just something to think about.
  15. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

The more I research about a GPS solution for me, the more I'm inclined to just get a self contained GPS unit. About the same price or a bit more, for me and Q1 atleast, and it'll probably run smoother and I won't have my Q tied up. That's seems to be the best for what I'm looking for... :wink: