GPS unlocked yet?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by dragonfly, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

GPS unlocked yet?

Hey guys had heard a while back that the saga may be getting the gps unlocked on the verizon saga phones, anyone know if this has gone through yet? id rather not use an external gps receiver like i do with my original Q now.
  2. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

...not yet...
  3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

errr lol, the only thing i HATE about verizon is the locked gps on phones. so retarded, every other phone company has no problem unlocking there gps, not sure why verizons gotta be like that.
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

$$ for a service they charge for vs. nothing when it's free.
  5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

good point buddy.
  6. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

While I will have to agree with your reason, I must point out the fact that Verizon is already more expensive then any other carrier... one more reason NOT to lock/charge for GPS.

- posted from SAGA -
  7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

agreed jmorisey, however they have unlocked it for the blackberry's for google maps and the blackberry maps, not sure why they wont with any other phones.
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Not so sure that reasoning makes complete sense *DEPENDING* on what your corporate goals are.

If you can charge and protect a revenue stream to your shareholders, despite what others do, you'll do it. If VZW isn't seeing a massive exodus of customers because of an unlocked GPS issue, they have little incentive to change.

If on the other hand, they do, and their exit interviews all point to that and customers are flocking to AT&T or whatever carrier it might be unlocked on....then they maybe have an incentive to change.

Although there are some technofiles on these forums that dispute this, the GPS method employed by carriers is aGPS which does require some significant gear and O&M at each site (tower). Not to mention the increase in support calls, etc. You'd have to look at outflow vs inflow on the $$.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see the GPS unlocked too for those rare occassions when I need it. My original answer was simplistic and I don't think it is necessarily as simple as I stated nor is it as simple as some other carrier does it, why doesn't VZW.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

since they are mandated to provide location services for 911, the cost argument is weak. the pda techies will look at two identical q9s one on sprint with a working gps and one on vzw and weigh which carrier they will go with.
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Hmmm...I disagree.

Why is the cost arguement weak? Correct me if I'm wrong, but E911 doesn't *have* to use GPS, it can use tower triangulation, yes?

Even if it does / must use aGPS, the infrastructure needed to support the "occassional" E911 call vs. the infrastructure to support tens of thousands playing with GPS apps, geocaching, recording KMZ trails for bike rides, turn by turn directions, etc...is quite different, yes?

And beyond that, if the government says you have to provide something for free, and the company can say ok...and if people pay for something above and beyond that government mandate, it's no money out of the bottom line, why on earth wouldn't they do it? What happens every time the government mandates landline telephone access to some new BFE location. Your "blah blah blah blah surcharge" on your telephone bill goes up, not down.

And beyond that, how many of "us" are truly PDS techies...the vast maqjority I'd warrant are not...so the techies might migrate to Sprint or somewhere else and I doubt VZW would see a huge impact. Granted, those are assumptions made without knowing a darn thing about VZW's cash stream.

Look at 10 other members in your extended family / friends. CAn you think of 2 or even 1 person that is as much of a cell phone techy as you?

I suspect that numbers in the general population are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay below 10% and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down under 1%.
  11. larsdennert

So are there tens of thousands of people playing with gps or WAAAY under 1%? Either way if everyone leaves on their location setting instead of 911 only, they are all using the location tracking service. The towers handle them all just as they handle data and voice for each phone.

What I mean is that the carriers have to provide this hardware capability all the time due to 911 requirements so there is no additional hardware they need to provide at this time.

Verizon takes extra long care to disable what the phone manufacturers have built in. I think the argument actaully goes the other way at this point. We are paying them extra to provide us a disabled phone. They are putting resources into doing that.

I think a fair number of people (non techie) use VZNav because they have no choice being on vzw. Next time they shop and learn you could get it free I think they may choose the free option.

We will never be able to really know what vzw is thinking but verizon as a company is expensive to do business with. The Landline service is the same.
  12. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I think you mixed different portions. I said the true PDA techies were way under 1%.

I understood that, but I'm not sure if it is correct. The equipment may be the same, but what about loading on the equipment. Bottom line is we don't know.

That's true. And....for the people that pay the extra for VZNav, they get a revenue stream out of it. Why wouldn't they protect that?

I don't think most people are that aware of their choices. You've got people on this forum every day who say hey...how do I get the GPS working? You've got people every day who don't even understand how aGPS actually works. So to put a lot of faith or stock in the masses to be aware and exodus VZW because of the GPS issue.... I think you stand a better chance of pigs flying.

Agree with all statements. Add to those that cost is not the only reason some people choose a carrier. As an aside, I almost was in an upcoming meeting with the president of VZW, but the invitee list was shrunk due to a reduced meeting timeframe. It would have been a very interesting meeting.
  13. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

I am posting from my SAGA so no quoting and going to make this short...

EVERYONE is paying for GPS in their monthly bill! People with VZNav is paying for the Software, just as I have to pay TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, etc... for their software!

***DISCLAIMER***
    In my opinion

lol ;-)

Jon
  14. larsdennert

There is now a ROM for the Omnia in Beta with working GPS. It's a sign that VZW is serious about unlocking it and hope for us too.
  15. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

that rom also disables their haptic feedback tho, doesnt it?

nm looks like that may be the previous? one
  16. EQBob

EQBob New Member

where did you find out that information....

or perhaps the question I'm really asking is...

where should we be checking to see if/when the Saga GPS unlock functionality is released?
  17. txter

txter New Member

check out www.pdaphonehome.com
    find their Saga fourm under pda phones. i thought something was in their about saga gps.
    i could be wrong. i bounce around so much i get site mixed up.
  18. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

My GPS on my SAGA is unlocked... i can use Google Maps, LIVE Search and TomTom!!!

ohh, did I mention that it is detached also? (i have an external GPS)
  19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

booo got me all excited with my saga arriving TODAY and not monday SO PUMPED!!!!!
  20. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

dangit!!!!!!