GPS question

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Blacknomad, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Blacknomad

Blacknomad New Member

GPS question

Looking at purchasing an AT&T Q9h today. Looks like data plan for $30 mo does not include AT&T mobility for GPS which is another $10 a month. Any other ways to use the built in GPS capabilities of the Q??
  2. Hexx

Hexx New Member

yup google maps or live search. no need for a paid gps program unless you want it
  3. DJ_JuanE

DJ_JuanE New Member

I just added the unlimited data plan on both my wife's and my phone. I downloaded the windows live on both and it works great! The only thing that I wish it had is the voice directions, other than that, center on gps, and you can follow your every move on the map of your screen. Very satisfied so far with the program. BTW, I have the Q9h, and my wife has the Blackjack II. :laugh2:

M2C...
  4. eVader

eVader New Member

There are a ton of GPS apps and many like MS Live and Google Mobile Maps are free. One that may be free and very useful is AAA Mobile. Good navigation, call for help\road service, Follow Me, Where Am I and a few other utilities. It is free if you are a AAA member or you can trial it for 15 days.
  5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

triple a...really? never heard of it! the lil wife's car is under AAA....have to give it a try.
  6. slocraiger

slocraiger New Member

Garmin has Mobile XT for Q9h, it is fantastic and has turn by turn, only problem is that you have to use it on their memory card, may be able to find a hack to fix that though if they won't do it for you.
  7. Does Garmin Mobile XT require an internet subscription? I am on AT&T and only have the phone service. Is there a way to use a GPS without the internet subscription?

Thanks
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

the garmin app does not require data. all the maps come with it
  9. Blacknomad

Blacknomad New Member

Garmin XT install

Ok, bought on ebay, can with 0 instructions. I put chip in and it cannot locate GPS in my AT&T Global Q9? I'm looking all through settings and can't locate how to turn on GPS. Any help would be apprecaited!
  10. braj

braj New Member

11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

on the Q9h sometimes it can take a few minutes to get a location fix. which app are you using for gps?
  12. Roadie

Roadie New Member

Wow! This is awesome - thanks! I like the "Show your card and save" feature, and the emergency roadside service button.
  13. braj

braj New Member

Where did you guys get the app? I tried to download it from my phone and it says it isn't supported.
  14. Roadie

Roadie New Member

Right here.
  15. Roadie

Roadie New Member

Hmmm. It seems AAA Mobile Web is free, but not the AAA Mobile Navigator. Navigator is a trial version that expires, and the fee is $9.99/month. :frown:
  16. j0be

j0be New Member

Did you get this working? If you haven't tried already, try to search for a file called Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab. It should allow you to assign your internal GPS to a com port so that other programs (like MobileXT, Google Maps, etc.) can use it.

Best of luck.
  17. Blacknomad

Blacknomad New Member

Battery Dying in 18 hours on standby

Well, funny you ask. I was able to get the following .cab from the individual that sold me the Garmin XT, the file is

MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

Which got my GPS active and allowed me to use the Garmin XT. Now I've got another problem, My battery is draining at an unreal pace. I'm loosing all power from the fully charged large battery with NO activity in 18 hours. So, much for 31 day standby!

Current settings are:

Turned GPS off in Garmin
    Backlight off in 5 seconds
    Smart Backlight Disabled
    Power Saver in Battery Savings Mode
    All programs off via Task Manager

Still dying in 18 hours!

I have candeliight installed also! Any help would be appreciated ! !
  18. j0be

j0be New Member

That was actually a hack to achieve the same functionality as the file I mentioned gives. Someone (I can't remember who) put that out there just before we discovered there was an official file from Microsoft that did the same thing.

Unfortunately, the MoDaCo version (as far as I am aware), sets the gps to a particular COM port (your's apparently is COM4, there were others as well), and kept the com port active, which causes the GPS to always be active and drain your battery.

Try to find the Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab file and uninstall the MoDaCo version. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll see if I still have it somewhere.
  19. Motowess

Motowess New Member

You are probably doing this already but make sure you exit out of Garmin Mobile XT otherwise it runs in the background. I have used this program with my Blackjack 2 and now my Q9H. Both worked perfectly but if you don't exit out of the program it will run in the background and eat up your battery.

Hope this helps,

Motowess
  20. msestina

msestina New Member

GPS Settings

I loaded
    Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab
    what are the settings to use the Q internal GPS please?