GPS on the Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Angelo921, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Angelo921

Angelo921 New Member

GPS on the Q9c

I was under the impression that the Q9c had a built in GPS which can be used to get directions from your current location. Im having a hard time finding it on the phone or in the manual. All I see on the phone is the option to download Sprint Navigation. Can you please let me know where its located?

thanks
    Angelo
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Go to
    Start > settings > phone settings > gps settings
    you can use google maps or windows live search
    for WLS just make sure to set it to use the GPS intermediate driver.
  3. gazment

gazment New Member

Like the user above stated google maps is an option. Its my favorite navigation device since its free, easy to use, and utilizes my gps better than the other software available.

Go to www.google.com/gmm on your mobile device
    click on "Download google maps"
    install the downloaded .cab file
    start up google maps
    click the right soft key to enter the menu and select "Use GPS"

.... and voila you can now use your gps device

Tip: If your indoors and/or in an area with no gps satellite signal you won't be able to use gps. In google maps it will just say " Satellites (0)".
  4. Angelo921

Angelo921 New Member

Thank you. Google Maps is pretty cool, is that the preferred GPS software for the Q9c from you guys?
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I have google maps, WLS, and sprint nav installed on mine but I generally use sprint nav if I am driving. I usually use google maps when walking (or to freak people out by showing them their houses)
    If sprint nav wasn't included in my vision plan I would chose google maps primarily.
  6. Angelo921

Angelo921 New Member

How did you get Sprint Nav included in your vision plan?
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I have the vision Professional pack. it's $30 per month, also includes sprint tv ultimate and unlimited text
  8. Angelo921

Angelo921 New Member

Gotcha, i only have the SERO $30 plan which includes unlimited data which enables me to watch Sprint TV but not Sprint TV Premier.
  9. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

To each their own, I guess . .. I'll chime in for Windows Live Search. I prefer it's interface to Google Maps, and it has seemed to worked a little quicker for me in terms of initial and follow up searches.
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Since they're free why not try both out to see which you like.
  11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I've used both and have now just settled on WLS. I agree try them both.

I would have kept them both but I've found that if I tell GMM to install to my storage card it still gets put on my device and I like to limit what I put on the device.
  12. Echoes&Madness

Echoes&Madness New Member

MapQuest has a new option out..... Go to https://mapquestdtc.telmap.com/

Has pretty much the same features as TeleNav and you can get a yearly subscription at $49.99/year or $9.99 a month...

Also, if you go to the TeleNav website, one can subscribe to TeleNav from there and get an annual subscription... I originally chose the monthly option, but I am going to email TeleNav with the price from MapQuest to see if they can compete.....
  13. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

Isn't TeleNav basically the exact same thing as Sprint Navigation? It might be cheapest just to have that aded to your Vision plan.
  14. Echoes&Madness

Echoes&Madness New Member

Actually, it is the other way around. Sprint Navigation is based on TeleNav... And, I am referring to the usage only. You can still use the Sprint Navigation program but pay through the TeleNav website...

I guess it depends on your version of "cheapest"... If you want to go to the monthly route, it is $9.99/month through either the TeleNav website or through Sprint. If you want to pay a one-time fee, then you can pay $99.99 for a year at the TeleNav website or $249.99 (I believe) for four years... As I said, it depends on your version of "cheapest"...

Personally, I have the unlimited plan and the usage is included anyway. I am just trying to pass the information on to others...
  15. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

Yeah, I know that Sprint Navigation is based on Telenav, I was just trying to say that they're the same base program, not that one is derived from the other. Also, unless you have SERO, isn't it still possible to get a Sprint Navigation Power Vision pack for $25 which is only $5 more than basic Power Vision per month anyway?
  16. Angelo921

Angelo921 New Member

I have tried both Sprint Navigator and Mapquest and I must say that I really like Mapquest better not to mention that Mapquest only costs $4.17 a month instead of the $9.99 for Sprint Navigation.
  17. sweat

sweat New Member

What about turn-by-turn directions broadcast from the phone? Meaning having the directions sounded out loud so that I don't have to look at the phone or hit keys to see where to turn next?

I've been using Google Maps and like them, except for navigating while driving.

Suggestions for what my options are? Doesn't seem like Google Maps or Live Search offers this functionality.

Thanks.
  18. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

They do not - you can use Sprint Navigation or Garmin Mobile XT, but both cost $$.
  19. sweat

sweat New Member

That was my fear. Any other options besides Garmin and Sprint and if so, what offers the best reward/cost?
  20. trickshot11

trickshot11 New Member

Does anyone know the default settings for the gps offhand?