GPS Navigation

Discussion in 'HTC Touch' started by nicholasbahl, Jan 28, 2009.

1. nicholasbahl

nicholasbahl Guest

GPS Navigation

Does anyone out there no of or use on their htc touch a free or cheap gps navigation software? And i really don't mind paying for one as long as i know its worth it, so if anyone out there is using gps navigation please let me know what you're using and how it works.
    I also have microsoft live search, but i am unable to "locate me" with the gps, i have the gps on com1 on my phone settings and mls settings.
    i dont get it, i couldnt get it to work with google maps either, but i wonder if i do if either of those programs can navigate?
    Thanks for your help, after owning a motoq previous to this i almost posted these questions on that website, but my smile barely fit on my face when i typed in this web address and it worked!!!!
  2. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

What carrier do you have?
    the GPS is locked locked on all but Sprint(?).

If you have Sprint try changing the com port, maybe 4, if you have Verizon there's instructions at ppcgeeks in the Vogue section but it requires some pretty specific flashing.

For other carriers I don't know about enabling it.
  3. nicholasbahl

nicholasbahl Guest

i have us cellular... does that mean i'm screwed? i dont like that. ya know i had the delve for about ten days before i bought the htc touch, and the ONLY, ONLY thing i liked about it was the gps navigation - SWEET! Well i appreciate your help, if anyone else has ideas please let me know.

How about a hack for the message sent message? I know there was one for the motoq?
  4. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Being windows mobile many of the hacks work.
    I posted some tweaks in the hacks section one of them being that.
  5. nicholasbahl

nicholasbahl Guest

thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Now, one more question, if you're still out there, I cannot sync via active sync!? I have outlook 2007, usb enabled sync enabled on device and computer, i don't have outlook handling my emails (yahoo), is that necessary? I do have it set as my default mail client, searched all active sync forums and can't find anything. Any ideas or experience?
  6. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I'm always here :)

I have no experience trying to sync email, sorry.
    Can you see the phone on the computer?
    Which OS?
    Any firewall?
  7. nicholasbahl

nicholasbahl Guest

apparently you are always here :) yay for me! Not syncing email my active sync 4.5 for winxp (my os) wont even connect to my phone, or recognize it. i can see it in my computer as a winmobile device but cant transfer files with that connection. Now i do not have a memory card in my phone yet and im not sure if that would make a difference as far as active sync goes... and my firewall settings are good for active sync (triple checked) i try to do as much as i can before i bother you folks, but this one has me stumped, i wonder if its the phone itself? its just odd that everything else is completely operational. I've been having to email the little plug ins and upgrades and then downloading and installing on the touch that way, until i get my memory card, but that doesnt solve programs with .exe that will need to be installed via active sync. i'm going crazy over this!
  8. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Try disabling the firewall.
    I've had ZoneAlarm a few times screw up ActiveSync even though all the setting were correct as well. I had another I can't remember stop the connecting as well.
    If it works then you found the problem.
  9. nicholasbahl

nicholasbahl Guest

WOOHOOHOOOHOOOO!!!! that's the cry of the idiot (me) I finally got active sync to work, i guess at some point in time i changed my usb to pc settings on my phone to enable advanced network functionality (probably because it just sounds cool) not knowing what it does.... now i know. Thanks for all your help!!!!
  10. I got my GPS to work on my touch with this thread.
    http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36377

And as the thread says the gps will lock on in about 5 to 10 seconds. Might be late but i hope this helps someone else.
  11. nicholasbahl

nicholasbahl Guest

very very interesting. what carrier do you have? i have us cellular.. is that going to work, of course i ask now after i'm about half way into it... wish me luck
  12. nicholasbahl

nicholasbahl Guest

ahh i see from another post of yours (masterfulwolf) that you have alltell, do you know of any updates that make this available for us cellular? ... and actually i have no idea what i am doing, do any of those steps simply unlock my gps to be able to be used for programs or is that just to increase speed or both? I felt really uncomforitable (like a nun in vegas) doing some of that stuff and luckily didnt get to far before i realized it wouldnt work for us cellular...
  13. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I looked at that thread earlier.It mentioned almost every carrier I can think of BUT USCellular.

Ask in that thread, take your time reading, some of that stuff can be daunting and give it a go.

It's when a flash to the radio or bootlaoder, as in unlocking, things can get a little dangerous.
    That could be undone with a hard reset. PIMBackup makes those pretty painless IMO too.
  14. seldonbilly

seldonbilly New Member

I purchased the same GPS as you. I cannot figure out how to get it to speak the street names to me. The "E" version is supposed to have text-to-speach