GPS Icon Hack

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by terrapin669, Nov 20, 2008.

1. terrapin669

terrapin669 New Member

GPS Icon Hack

So, I edited the reg to show the GPS icon and it worked fne. My question is this: Does the visibility of the icon mean that the GPS is always on? If so, is that a bad thing?
  2. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Shows the icon where?
    If you don't have unlimited data...is bad for gps to always be on i would think.
  3. terrapin669

terrapin669 New Member

first, I have unlimited data so my only concern would be battery related - The "gps" icon, initials actually, appear in the upper right of screen, to left of battery icon
  4. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Did you just do the gps display icon hack? I just did it myself since you mentioned it. I see it does always display...I wouldn't think it would be actually rinning, because its a "display icon"...also no program is running that uses gps..im assuming that is. :)
  5. terrapin669

terrapin669 New Member

as i mentioned in another post, i ran an app called gpstest and it "started" my gps, then I did the hack.
  6. Hexx

Hexx New Member

If you mean showing "GPS" on the home screen...

If this is what you mean then no it is not on. When GPS is active it will show a pulsing icon.
  7. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Your right...I just did that hack. And ran WLS....Never thought about that hack before. But its a nice little modification.
  8. Hexx

Hexx New Member

icon hack

It was what I used to show proof positive that the GPS Com 5 hack kept the GPS active while when the Com 3 was used it would turn on and off when the app was closed.

I don't really understand why the GPS icon would not always be enabled as a default state but ... alas.
  9. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

So Com 5 it will stay active with no app running, or am i misunderstanding you?

I am set to use GPS Intermediate Driver...gps stops once the app closes also.
  10. Hexx

Hexx New Member

It has been a while since I hacked this. I remember that to use Live Search or MapQuest, I had to use GPS Test to get the GPS to actually kick on. The hacks on this board and others had folks initially changing the registry to have GPS use Com 5. People found their batteries draining aftwards - some smart people realized that once they closed out of the GPS program, it stayed open with this hack as other phone functions needed this port and therefore it never closed. Again folks smarter than me found that Com 3 was not used by anything else and should be used.... Today I just open up Mapquest or Live Search and GPS works when I want it to. When I close the programs the GPS stops as well.

So - simply if you use the GPS Intermediate Driver and find things are good, then you are all set! The problem with hacks is after a while, I forget how and why I did them!
  11. terrapin669

terrapin669 New Member

so, HEXX, are you saying that I do not need the hack or the gpstest app (I also have the GPSID app installed) and I should just install live search and configure the intermediate driver from there? I only did the hack because google maps would always say that there was no GPS active. I don't need that little icon if it represents nothing...
  12. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

the icons does tell you gps is on, it'll blink/pulse....so youll know you didn't close the app that way atleast, so its useful...But dont think you need any app other than WLS or Gmaps..just make sure your options/settings are correct...When installed i think the default is "No GPS" change that and you should be good
  13. terrapin669

terrapin669 New Member

I dont mean to be repetitive, but without these 2 apps on my Q: 1. GPSID and 2. GPSset, I was never able to get GM to activate or useGPS, period. I never tried WLS however. Even though I set, within GM, "use GPS" I ALWAYS got the error message that Google Maps could not find an active GPS receiver.
  14. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

It would search tho?
    Honestly before getting rid of those apps...Add WLS give that a test run. I consider it much better than Gmaps..much more functional. I had an issue right after installing, not being able to connect, but I exited and opened the app again, changed settings to GPS Intermediate, been good ever since.
  15. Hexx

Hexx New Member

seems like initially folks found that using any GPS device or other software than Live Meeting or Mapquest didn't work. Seemed that a defined Com was needed and this is how things started.

Gotta love hacking away.....

Any ideas on how to speed internet on the q9h? I have tried diasbling the proxy - didn't get any increase except when connected via activesync as I then can use my pc connection vs wireless. Any improvements using other proxies than cingular? OpenDNS? etc? probably need to go to anyother topic for this though...
  16. Hexx

Hexx New Member

Did you do the following registry changes?
    <characteristic type="HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer">
    <parm name="DriverInterface" value="COM3:" datatype="string" />
    </characteristic>

<characteristic type="HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice">
    <parm name="Index" value="3" datatype="integer" />
    </characteristic>

This is what I did and don't need the GPSTest. Again the GPS hack to show "GPS" or the signal icon when active I like as it lets me know if GPS is active thus draining my battery.... also there is a checkmark when GPS has a lock.
  17. terrapin669

terrapin669 New Member

i dont have driver interface in that list...any ideas?
  18. terrapin669

terrapin669 New Member

nevermind...
  19. JMak

JMak New Member

What is the GPS icon display hack? I searched EQ for it but didn't find anything.

The name implies that once you run the hack that the GPS icon displays at the top of the HS. Right?

If so, does this hack work on the Q9c?

Or am I really off base here and showing my ass?
  20. Hexx

Hexx New Member

--
    Not sure about the Q9c but on the Q9h it works -

Turn GPS indicator on (shows on home screen)

HKey_Local_Machine\Services\LCAService
    Change DisplayIcon = 1 (default is 0 which is off)