GPS, Google Maps, & More

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by SunnuvaPilot, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Then I take back the part about you being confused. But the way you put your sentences ttogether and included only the Q9h as not working with 'my locatiom' might cause confusion. And we would not want that. Would we?
  2. dwboston

dwboston New Member

It was a response to a specific post. Read the whole thread - don't just cherry-pick one post and say it's confusing. If you take it and present it out context it could be confusing.
  3. SunnuvaPilot

SunnuvaPilot New Member

Hey guys... so I haven't signed on in a bit, and I was surprised to read everyone going back-and-forth on this. Just to let y'all know--since I was the one who originally posted the question--I got the GPS to work on my Q9h using Google Maps. I first launched Google Maps, then from the main menu selected Option 5 ("Use GPS"), and I would let that run for a bit, and then I would select Option 1 ("My Location"), and this pretty little blue dot would come up and VOILA! I found my location. It even kept up in real time as I was walking (of course).

Just thought I'd keep everyone updated.

-SP
  4. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

You should not be surprised. If you had done some searching and a LOT of reading you would have found many threads on topics of aGPS vs GPS and "my location" working or not working.
    Glad everything works for you. Just don't go around posting "my location" is working on your Q9 or any Q because technically, it does not. It is an unfortunate name Google gave to a feature that caused a lot of fuss.

@ dwboston, you were the one that suggested everything could not be clearer? I was just pointing out your post could have been misconstrued even following the entire thread. And, the fact that you cannot stop responding to these threads..I found amusing. Sorry, but I can't help chuckling. Oh, about AT&T phones, I don't know for sure but how about the AT&T blackberrys and the AT&T iphone. The "my location" feature should work on those. Does anybody know for sure?
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

The Blackberrys: Virtually all DO work with the "My Location" (triangulation) feature, and I don't know about the iPhone for sure, but I'm sure the API supports it.

On a side note, the BlackJack II does as well, but ONLY on the EDGE network. It does NOT work on the 3G network.
  6. gobble

gobble New Member

I just got the Q9h

When I go to the Google Maps download page, I get this:

Not Found
    Error 404

Anybody else have this problem? Is ATT blocking access to the free Google Maps? Any way to download the software on my computer and transfer to my Q9?
  7. gobble

gobble New Member

Where do you guys get the GPS test program? I found one but it said it only works on a Windows CE device.
  8. MotRyan01

MotRyan01 New Member

Same exact thing happend to me. I think AT&T blocks the site.

I simply downloaded the program to my comuter and transfered the file to my Q. Works perfect.
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i have the app on my apps page
    www.scottschrob.com/q/apps.htm
  10. gobble

gobble New Member

Got it to work by transferring from my laptop.

ATT is censoring which websites we can visit and which files we can download?
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

No, they aren't. The page was probably down. I just Master Cleared my phone 2 days ago, and had to re-download Google Maps.

Try www.google.com/gmm

or

mobile.google.com.

The first one worked for me. Hope this helps for future reference since you already got it to work.
  12. slippy1469

slippy1469 New Member

Set "USE GPS" on as default

Has anyone figured out where/how to set "Use GPS" as a default ON for a 9H? I have been using Google Maps on my cell for a while and it annoys me having to remember to click "Use GPS" when I want to plot/locate directions.

It does use some sort of locator stuff when doing a search for the nearest restaurant when I use it for that, but I'd love for it to automatically use the GPS all the time instead of fighting with it each time.

Thanks!
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I'd love for that option too, but alas, its not there.

The "locator stuff" you refer to is the "My Location" feature which is not compatible with the Q9h. It is still in beta and may work someday, but not now. I've noticed it automatically starts to boot that up when I boot up the phone. In fact, I'm going to disable it right now after this post, since its useless for Q9h users.
  14. slippy1469

slippy1469 New Member

Actually, "My Location" does work, once you turn on the "Use GPS" feature and the GPS signals triangulate you. Once that happens, you can hit "My Location" after browsing the map elsewhere and it will pull the map back to your current location. But you HAVE to have the GPS working first on the Q9H
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You're 100% right that hitting the button after you lock on takes you back to your location, but thats not the "My Location" beta feature. That feature, which triangulates your position based on cell phone towers, is not compatible with the Q9h, thus, you get that message.
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

A little something I whipped up so people wouldn't be confused.

Here it is.