GPS, Google Maps, & More

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by SunnuvaPilot, Feb 24, 2008.

1. SunnuvaPilot

SunnuvaPilot New Member

GPS, Google Maps, & More

I've researched the forums, and I can't seem to find a complete answer for my question...

I have Google Maps installed on my AT&T Q9h. From what I understand, there's a GPS receiver on it. What do I need to do to get the "My Location" feature on Google Maps to work? I'll be traveling around the country in the next couple of weeks, and I'd like to use this feature if possible.

Thanks!
  2. mworsham

mworsham New Member

Some have had luck "out of the box" with GPS, others have loaded a utility (GPSID Settings) that allows you to set the com port for the GPS.

My advice is to download GPS TEST and see if your phone will get a fix without adding other utilities. Be patient, it may take several minutes for the GPS to lock in.

Being outside or very very close to an outside window helps. :smile:

Mark W
  3. dwboston

dwboston New Member

The "My Location" feature in Google Maps doesn't work on the Q9h - I don't think it works with any AT&T phones yet. Use the "Use GPS" function in GM instead to get a fix on your location using the internal GPS. It may take anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes to get a fix if you are in an open area with clear line of sight to the satellites. You can download the GPSID utility to configure the GPS but it does work out of the box with no addtional software required.
  4. MotRyan01

MotRyan01 New Member

I use the "Use GPS" function in Google Maps and it usually finds me within 30 seconds.
  5. Phrozt

Phrozt New Member

I've never been able to get the "Use GPS" thing to work for me... and I've used the GPSID utility as well. Maybe I don't have it configured correctly?

My settings:
    Prog Port: COM3
    Hard Port: None
    Hard Port Baud: 9600
    Manage Automatically: Checked

I've also done the little hack to see my GPS status (http://www.modaco.com/content/Smart...-utility-for-configuring-GPSID-on-Smartphone/ second post on there... HKLM\Services\LCAService flag).

Any tips? I've tried using it outside.. pointing it south... etc. I've had cloud cover most of the times I've tried though, does this make a significant difference?
  6. mworsham

mworsham New Member

I have the same settings, but I set the baud rate to 115600. We had rain this weekend, and it took longer for me to get a fix in my car.

I would suggest downloading gpstest and running that to confirm that it can see your gps chip.

Mark W
  7. Oldergeek

Oldergeek New Member

One small thing, make sure that you have selected "use GPS" (option 5) from the main menu of Google Maps screen.

My AT&T Q9h works just fine and my location shows my exact fix. However, I have noticed that other programs that access the internet can cause the GPS reciever to loose lock if they are running at the same time.
  8. dwboston

dwboston New Member

That's exactly what I said in my post. The "My Location" function uses cell tower triangulation and doesn't work on the Q9h. The "Use GPS" function does work.
  9. Oldergeek

Oldergeek New Member

Not to be contrary, but the 9h is the only Q version that does actually have a GPS chip in it. All other models (as far as I can find out) use triangulation. The 9h actually uses GPS satellites. When you select the "use GPS" option from the menu you will see a small blue message in the top right hand of your Google Maps screen. The message says "searching for Satellites"
  10. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Good lord. Not to resurrect this again, but you are confused. The Q9c and Q9m have aGPS - "assisted GPS" - which gets satellite position data from the cell towers. They don't use triangulation for GPS positioning. The Google Maps "My Location" function is a triangulation function and does not work with the Q9h. The "Use GPS" function in Google Maps uses the internal GPS receiver the get your position. I don't know how much clearer this can be.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

*sneeks into thread*
    I don't want to get into this again either...
    *hello again dwboston*
    I am working on getting some definitave information on this in order to hopefully end this once and for all. I'll let you know when I do.
    * sneeks out again*
  12. dwboston

dwboston New Member

I admit, it's a personal failing of mine that I can't ignore this stuff and have to reply. :laugh2:
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

You and me both. I just want a final answer. There is so much confusion about GPS vs. aGPs and how aGPS works (specifficaly whether the phone receives direct satellite signals or not). It needs to be cleared up.
  14. MotRyan01

MotRyan01 New Member

GPS or aGPS....I've driven around with my Q several times using Google Maps and the blue indicator is dead on driving down the street. I also have a TomTom and it is just as accurate.

As they say...green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a shit!
  15. Ivanhead

Ivanhead New Member

So does a sorry ass regular Q have GPS chip that will work with google maps? Mine searchs but sees nothing. I know they all have a locator, fed law, but does the Q no letters, from alltel, work with google maps?
    Ivanhead
  16. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Not without an external GPS receiver. There is no internal GPS (either assisted or not) in the Q1.
  17. Ivanhead

Ivanhead New Member

I figured as much, Thanks External GPS. I've got 10, garmins from hell, how do you connect, through the power port or the storage card port?

Just interested, would serve no purpose to connect it that I can see.
    Thanks
    Ivanhead
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

bluetooth only......
  19. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

You seem to be confused about the fact that because the Q9c and Q9m uses aGPS means that the Google Maps "My Location" function is working for Q9c and Q9m but not the Q9h.

The fact is, the "My Location" function works the same for all the Q9h, Q9c, or Q9m. It does not work for any of them. Or, it works the same on all of them. Whether you have aGPS or GPS you still get satellite positions. The "My Location" feature is using actual cell tower strength to guess your position -- not satellite positions.
  20. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Re-read my posts - I never said that the Google Maps "My Location" function works on the Q9m or Q9c. Only that they have aGPS and not GPS. The other poster was the one that brought up those devices. I only stated that "My Location" didn't work with the Q9h but that "Use GPS" does work.