GPS fix finalized?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by dfc849, May 1, 2009.

1. dfc849

dfc849 New Member

GPS fix finalized?

I've seen the threads on Verizon GPS fix, but my carrier left me with the generic ROM flash, and I'm pretty sure GPS isn't active on this at all. Is there a fix for this or a complete monster ROM flash? I have read up on the different threads but don't know whether or not someone came up with a simple, easy way to get it working. I also am very familiar with the device and most terminology. My predecessing phone was an HTC 6800 (same generic bull with no GPS) but that was an easy fix.
  2. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Not yet but pretty close. Stay tuned . . . :) -Q
  3. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

There is a Verizon GPS fix??!! I cant seem to find it when I search .

Can you post a link?
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

there's is currently no fix, but one is in the works. It may take some time, just be patient (or go out and buy a BT GPS receiver and not worry about it any more)
  5. txter

txter New Member

6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

let's use the right word here shall we?

It isn't a "fix", except on those models on which the the carrier is going to unlock the GPS.

If you're talking about the efforts to break the restrictions on GPS use on phones that won't have it unlocked, the proper word is (take your pick): Theft. Stealing. Robbery. Cheating. Felony.

This is a service that carriers have decided will be a revenue stream. While they are opening it up on some models, they aren't on others. It doesn't matter if you agree with that philosophy or not. You can either break into the jewelry store and smash the glass case and steal the diamond brooch, or you can pay for it legally, or you can work to say everyone should have a diamond brooch for free.

A justification of 'I want it, but those nasty people make me pay for it, so I'm just going to get it myself" is not valid, reasonable, justified, or legal.
  7. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Well, Im just going to have to disagree.

The GPS satellite network is government sponsored and paid for by tax-payer funds. The Motorola Q9c with I have legally paid for has a physical GPS receiver chip within it. This same physical phone, if moved to the Sprint network, would allow my GPS applications to function perfectly.

The only theft, stealling, fraud, etc. that is going on here is that Verizon is trying to make me pay for fuctionality that I have already paid. Worse yet, in my case, I use my GPS not for turn-by-turn street directions, but for actual GPS coordinates to other GPS coordinates. This functionality does not work even if I paid Verizon the $10 a month they want to extort from me. Verizon has defrauded my yet again by advertising that my phone has GPS fuctionality when in fact they have taken extra efforts to lock it out.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

except that you would have to purchase the sprint version of the phone, as even though the model number is the same, there are some slight differences. like they have found out in the GPS "fix" thread unlocking the GPS isn't as simple as flashing with the Sprint ROM, or as simple as the "fix" was for the Verizon mogul.
  9. dfc849

dfc849 New Member

• Are you saying if I use an unlocked phone on AT&T's network that is stealing because the device is not locked down to AT&T's proprietary features and settings?
    • I also believe that there are some Sprint users that have problems with getting GPS working, thought it is fully unlocked (to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong), so it would be considered a 'fix'.
    Okay, now please refer back to OP. Nowhere was it stated that I am a VZW customer. Verizon isn't in charge of everything GPS. I'm not even on Verizon, or even Sprint, therefore I am not stealing services or software. My carrier provides phones with unlocked and working GPS, such as the HTC Diamond. The generic flash for the q9c does not have GPS unlocked, though. If you're not a part of the solution, you're the problem.

Also thanks to everyone else for contributing answers and posting relevant information.
  10. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Its been a while and unfortunately I no longer have my extensive notes, but I did spend a lot of time talking to Motorola, Verizon, Microsoft, and the GPS chip manufacturers.

Physically, there is no difference between the Motorola and Sprint Q9cs. None. They are the identical phone.

The GPS chip has several flash settings from completely open to completely off. In between, there was an encrypted option which I think is what Verizon requested which encrypts the GPS data passed from the chip to the OS and software. Then Verizon adulterated the drivers and DLLs so that only VZNavigator has the ability to decrypt to GPS data sent to the applications.

I'm no expert, but I believe that is the reason the sprint ROM doesn't work on the Verizon phone. Its because the sprint DLL doesn't have the decryption key Verizon implanted.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

the poster who revived the thread this morning is a verizon customer though
  12. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

I sure am. But it sounds like I should switch to being a Sprint customer.
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I guess that depends on how the sprint coverage is in your area
  14. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Ah yes. Thats the real problem isnt it. And that where guys like Verizon can have you over a barrel. Me, Im not so worried about coverage in my area. its more what the coverages when I am in other areas, or up north.
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

You can justify your position however you want. However, there is no birthright that proclaims free GPS for all. And your tax dollars paid for it on the DOD side first. Your phone does have GPS functionality. It just isn't active. They told you that when you bought it. You weren't duped. You signed an agreement and now you don't like it, and you're whining.

If you were Verizon and it was your business model and your revenue stream, I find it highly doubtful that you'd be screaming open up the skies, let them all eat cake (GPS).

I don't disagree that the GPS should be opened and available. I just won't be a party to illegal actions to do so and would caution others about that as well.
  16. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Perhaps you forgot the information that's posted in your profile and is visible on every post you make?

Phone: Q9m/c Carrier: VZW

So now you're saying that's not right because you're not even on Verizon. Whatever.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm perfectly comfortable with mine.
  17. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Actually, if I was Verizon, I'd be sticking to my own business (cellular network provider) and not get in other peoples business. The GPS in the Motorola phone I purchased is a stand-alone GPS receiver. It can also use cellular towers to help in GPS acquisition (aGPS), but that function is not required. If Verizon wanted to charge me for using the value-add of aGPS on their cell towers, that would be fine. But locking up my hardware that I bought is criminal. Advertising the phone has GPS (not "GPS-like" or "VZNav only GPS") is Fraud.

And they didnt tell me anything about the fact that the GPS would not work with other GPS applications when I bought it.

The fact is, the signal has nothing to do with their network. The GPS receiver has nothing to do with their network. The Q9C could work as a perfectly good PDA and GPS with no cel service at all, if Verizon hadnt screwed it all up.

But, I suppose it would ok for you if -

You bought a GM car with a perfectly good Am/FM radio, only to find that it wouldnt pick up any stations, later to find that you had to pay GM 10 bucks a month, and then you could only listen to the GM radio station and nothing else.

You got broadband access from Comcast, only to find that you couldnt play any online games with your friends. The comcast said, if you pay us 10 buck a month, you can play Chess on line with your friends, but only chess because thats the only game we allow.
  18. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Like I said. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm perfectly comfortable with mine.
  19. GWL

GWL New Member

Just would like to point out that Alltel sales personnel told me that I could use GPS functions on my Q9c. After purchase when I discovered it did not, they said they were wrong and that I could pay $9.99 extra per month sometime in the future when Alltel would have the software for Win 6.1. As of today there is no Alltel Navigation service for Win 6.1. Too bad I was not more aware of the Alltel limitations when I signed up for two Q9c phones. I was my own fault, but it never occurred to me that while my Razr had working GPS the Win 6.1 Q9c would not.
  20. Brent372

Brent372 New Member

I am a VZW employee, and I, just like all other VZW customers, am waiting anxiously for the "gps fix".

For those who say they are being defrauded because you bought a "GPS enabled phone", you are very incorrect.
    You bought a "VZ Naviagtor" enabled phone.
    Nowhere in any documentation (sales, service, internal, external, etc) does it say the Q9c is a GPS enabled phone.
    Sorry.
    You lose.
    Next time, know what you are buying before you cry fraud.

Do I think that it sucks that VZW is restricting the GPS and forcing us to pay $10 for VZNav? Yes I do... but damn. grow the hell up.