GPS does not work if there is little or no cell signal?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by jtzako, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jtzako

jtzako New Member

I have the Garmin GPS app on my Focus and recently tried to use it on a 800+ mile road trip. I ran into problems that I cant explain.

The phone kept indicating GPS signal lost at various times and often would not re-establish contact for long periods. (clear skies, no trees etc) This, of course, stopped the navigation functions.

I've done this exact same trip with a real Garmin device and had no troubles with GPS signal etc.

One thing I noticed is that I was usually in-between towns or near very small towns when this happened. Possibly with little or no cellular service.

Do our phones require a cell signal (and/or data) in order for GPS to work? I dont see why they would but it sure seemed that way on this trip.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I am no expert on the matter, but I do know that most cellphones use "Assisted GPS (aGPS)", which requires cell tower triangulation. In other words, yes, it requires a good cellular signal.
  3. Sb.

Sb. Member

You need to have 3g signal for it to work. If you turn off your data, under cellular in settings you will see that you cannot access maps without the internet.