Gps config.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by MOTO MANIAC, Mar 2, 2009.

1. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

Gps config.

i would like for everyone here who has the GPS unlocked to discuss how,what,why,settings,etc and what kind of program you use.
    i only use WLS but i hear many use lots of other gps programs when there nap is unlocked.
    heres my config: after the gps unlock is installed and phone is rebooted i turn the "location on" i nthe phone settings of course. then i installed windows live search.then i open wls click,menu,settings,change gps port0 to "gps intermediate driver". then after the first 5 minutes of first use itll lock on and im ready to go.
    now please share your gps program of choice and how to install and set it up correctly for use. this will help everyone here nad keep new threads from poping up.TIA

btw who else is useing the new google latitude or longitude thingy? how it work and how did you go about installing and setting it up?
  2. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

Hmm - I have never performed this step, but I am able to pick up a GPS fix.

In addition to WLS (installed to Storage Card), I have Google Maps and AmazeGPS (installed to Storage Card). I use the default settings for all.

John
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I do believe the default setting for WLS is intermediate driver.
  4. bmurf

bmurf New Member

where does one acquire this GPS fix?
  5. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

I setup any newly bought ( if not already unlocked ), flashed, or Master rest Nap like this. Seems to have worked pretty well to date so far. Mind you nothing is perfect and being it's free can't complain for a glitch here or there, nothing a power cycle doesn't seem to clear up. I do have a few different gps programs installed as follows; Amazegps, gmaps w/lattitude ( haven't used latitude or set it up ), WLS, and TGPS.

First thing I do is the QPST edit on any flashed or new Nap that is not obviously activated (this step can be skipped on a Reset phone tho). Then install VZ Nav on main memory, and turn Loc on, to then power cycle. After which install the gps unlock files followed by a power cycle again. Next I install (any order) gmaps on card, wls on card, AmazeGps on card, and TGPS on main memory to then cycle the power one last time. After everything is installed I go into each app and do any setup needed ( anyone if you see a better settings, or suggestions plz let me know).

AmazeGps; nothing really just installed it the other day to check it out to be honest.
    Gmaps ; enable Use GPS
    WLS; I do the same as Moto Manic posted (ie change gps port0 to "gps intermediate driver")
    TGPS; GPS Setup>enable "USE GPS Api(WM5+)"

When all is said and done fire up TGPS and connect gps. Let it grab gps info (which is anywhere from 30 - 60 sec) then exit (not shutdown) and open which ever app you want and go.

Like I said there is a glitch here or there. That said use task manager and end task on all gps apps, and maybe power cycle. Once done fire up TGPS again and go from there.
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

tgps?.......
  7. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

8. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

Require Data Plan???

Does all the gps software you mentioned requires data plan? Is there anything without using data plan like Garmin Mobile XT?
  9. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

If you want/need the maps to display in AmazeGPS,gmaps, and WLS yes. As for TGPS no it does need not need data according to there site, and when using it I've yet to see data turn on either. However there has been discussion over in the GPS hacking thread that it does but personally I do not feel that is the case.
  10. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

send me a pm
  11. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

tgps

TGPS is totally confusing to use. is there an easy step by step on how to set this up? Im not sure how to get the gps setup and to put maps in. it's just too confusing and too much stuff in it. Can anyone give me a very simple steps?
  12. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

all you do is:
    hit the home button and load up google or wls or another map app
    this is like a gps jump start more or less
  13. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

^^^^That is exactly how I use it. there are many more options but I just use it as you said to jump start GPS to grab the signal and roll with one of the other apps like WLS,gmaps, or Amaze.
  14. phil3315

phil3315 Member

I've been using TGPS on my Q9n, I have no data, as I have the phone activated on Alltel and can't get the data working.

The MFR of TGPS is referring to no data as in EVDO/1XRTT, as TGPS doesn't download any maps or search for addresses, etc.

Not to be confused with the cellular control channel data that the GPS in the phone uses for assistance. Remember, AGPS doesn't use EVDO/1XRTT to communicate with the network for GPS assistance. The IP address programmed for GPS is for the control channel network, that's available to all CDMA phones, regardless of data capability, and works anywhere that your phone can communicate with the network, even if it can't even get enough signal to establish a voice call.