gps/apps/customizing...help please

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by guest03, Jul 26, 2009.

1. guest03

guest03 Member

gps/apps/customizing...help please

Ok i really like this phone but it is driving me crazy trying to customize it. I can't figure anything out. I had a q9c until this.

I cant figure out how to remove the panes on the home screen which I do not want there.

The weather pane I can not get to show my city, I hit go online for more and can pull it up on that website, but am I not able to get it to show on my homescreen? I leave near St Louis, but that isn't even listed in the options.

I installed Skyfire and it seemed to slow down my whole phone, and internet browsing was slower then IE. I am trying to uninstall it now and has been uninstalling for over 5 minutes, but the rainbow loading circle is still spinning.

I have been looking for GPS for my phone.First, is this possible? Every app I have found online is for touch screen only. Is there any free ones available...if not can someone recommend a good GPS app?

I guess for now, that is all. I'm sure there is a lot more stuff I haven't been able to figure out, but just looking for help as this is getting me frustrated because I was able to do more with my q9c then this so far. (except gps)

Thanks!
    Matt
  2. gr8mick1

gr8mick1 New Member

google maps, bing or amAze GPS, all work great. Amaze is like a vz nav, google maps get you to with in x of where your at and bing can track you dead on and they are all free.
  3. guest03

guest03 Member

How do I use Bing?
    Is any of these able to tell you your speed, or trace the driving, etc?
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

also check out gpsvp...
  5. guest03

guest03 Member

I got it downloaded and installed, but cannot figure out how to get it to do anything. I have the maps and I navigated to US with the mouse, but I don't know what to do from there or how to enter addresses or anything like that.

Thanks for the help.
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

it cant search by address. does speed though and tracking. also if you have data on phone it can use google or bing maps if you enable raster mapping and choose a raster destination folder. it is a lil tough to setup..a bit of a learning curve. can also cache google/bing maps off your pc (with the xp version) to your phone and use those.

for sure it doesnt do directions or routes. more of a "see where you are and where you going" app. just ask if you need more gpsvp help! i use it alot for hiking and geocaching...
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

When using GMM, WLS (bing), or amAze, you might first have to go into the GPS settings of each program and make sure that it is set to either 'let windows configure', or 'use windows intermediate driver'.

After that, in each program, you must set it to use your GPS location. Then you should be able to use them just fine.

good luck.

p.s. as far as customizing your home screen (weather), I'm about to ask a total n00b question about that myself. The info is here, just gotta dig deep.
  8. guest03

guest03 Member

Thanks, I had a buddy who was able to help me out. He has an HTC Diamond and they are similar as in both being HTC. That was exactly what I was looking for, how it will draw the map as I am driving.

Thanks for the response, as it is a little difficult to setup.
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yes it is!!
  10. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

Has anyone else noticed that Skyfire slowed down their Ozone? I have it installed and my Ozone seems to be a little slower too.. I really like being able to view videos on the web though. Anyone know of any free alternatives? Or is anyone else experiencing the same issue?
  11. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Hmmm, Treefrog, interesting info, I have the gpsvp.cab on my storage card, but haven't installed it yet, but this program sounds like it would do what I want. My whole idea of getting the Nap and then the Ozone was to be able to have not only a phone, but an actual GPS device I could use out in the woods.
  12. YoDude

YoDude New Member

I have been using Google Maps for GPS directions, etc, and found this nice little app called GCzII for geocaching. It has a feature called GPS Monitor that helps pinpoint the geocache location. It works like an electronic compass. After reading your comment I am going to see if it can be used direction finding of lat/long locations besides geocaches.
    Here's the website for GCzII http://www.nicque.com/PQz/GCz.htm
    Seems to be a work in process with frequent updates, but I have found it very useful, especially the off-line mode after loading GPX files of geocache lists.

OK, was able to enter GPS coord's (decimal degrees) for the GPS Monitor. It then shows heading and distance to the location.
    AND then I found a 'Google Map' menu selection that shows the location on Google Maps. Liking this little app more all the time!
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yup...GCzII is a pretty slick geocaching app!
  14. ProGeek22

ProGeek22 New Member

Garmin anyone??

Garmin's Mobile XT works great on the Ozone, it does cost $$, but in my opinion it is well worth the investment...
  15. YoDude

YoDude New Member

Just wondering if you tried amAze before purchasing Mobile XT?
    Checked out Mobile XT but I own a Garmin GPS already, so very disappointed that I basically have to pay twice for the same maps, etc. just to use it on my phone.
  16. ProGeek22

ProGeek22 New Member

I got Mobile XT as a gift and have access to map updates through my company. So I didn't really try any others, but google and bing (or live search back in the day) worked well. The best part of those two is the price: FREE!
  17. guest03

guest03 Member

I agree, I use Google and Bing and both work fantastically for free. It is just like a GPS device, and it will even show you the satellite maps and everything.
  18. bitterpoet

bitterpoet New Member

Thank you so much. I was already using gmaps and bing since each do different things better but I wasn't nearly satisfied with the functionality of either. amAze GPS is almost exactly what I'm looking for. This forum gets better and better the more I read.