Got my new phone wet!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by cruffner, May 12, 2008.

1. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Got my new phone wet!

Well, I did it. I just got my 9m on March 5th, and I dropped it into water this past Saturday. It is working "off and on" as it dries out and I am really aggravated at myself. Like a fool I did not get the insurance on it even though I paid 400.00 dollars for it from a verizon store. Boy have I learned my lesson. When my new one comes Wednesday, it will have insurance on it. Guess its a life lesson for me!
  2. capo8488

capo8488 New Member

how are you getting a new one? did you pay full retail? I thought water damage wasn't covered..
  3. cruffner

cruffner New Member

I talked verizon into a replacement for 200.00. I hated to pay it but since it was my fault, i felt i deserved it and it would teach me to be more careful. I am hoping I can easily transfer my contacts and calendat using the bluetooth.
  4. capo8488

capo8488 New Member

even with insurance they don't cover water damage. so if in future cases you drop your phone in water just claim it stolen.
  5. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have never had insurance. HOPEFULLY, I won't need it. And possibly the one I got wet will end up okay too. I notice that it is acting up less and less.

I almost wonder if it is a program I downloaded causing some of its problems. I am running a trial version of contacts pro and I do not like it at all. When I try to delete it, it loses all my contact links. Wish I had never downloaded it!
  6. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

let it dry for a few more days. Also puting it in a ziploc bag with uncooked rice may help draw out any moisture.
  7. sherri

sherri Active Member

Asurion Insurance covers water damage. Also, I thought you could add inurance within the first 30 days??
  8. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Thanks. It's going into the baggie now.
  9. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Got the phone on 4-6-08 and it got wet Saturday the 10th. I tried to put insurance on it Sunday and it was toooooooooooooo late. Oh well, (sigh).

Hopefully I will have 2 when all is said and done. I get my new replacement Wednesday and if the other pulls through, it will be okay too. I just could not bank on it working totally right again since I use it for work so much of the time. I absolutley hate not having a phone. I never realized how much I use it. Plus the calendar. and texting my granddaughter, and bankorama and etc......
  10. Justintime

Justintime New Member

You only have 14 days to add insurance...and it does cover water damage.

It covers anything that leaves the phone inoperable. Stolen devices and lost devices are also covered for a claim which costs 50 dollars.
  11. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Its all my fault. They tried to sell me the insurance when I got the phone and I have had cell phones for years, and never needed the insurance before, so I turned it down.

My new one arrives tomorrow and you can betcha it will have insurance on it for a year or so. I am learning from my mistake. PLUS, the one that got wet seems to be working fine now after I put it in the rice so I will have a spare. I will probably put in on a local discussion board and sell it so it does not sit around.

Sometimes I astound myself by how impatient I am. If I had waited a couple of days to order a new one, I would not be out the 200.00 I am paying for it, but I am for sure gonna be more careful in the future!
  12. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Got the new phone today. I was really happy about easy it was to bluetooth the information from the older phone to the newer one. I was really happy with the other phone and it seems to be working fine now that it has dried out, but I had already ordered the new one. I never experienced any of the glitches that I have read about so I hope this new phone is just as good.

The insurance slip I got with it says that "wet" damage is covered.
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

good to have a new one anyway. unanticipated problems from "the wet" can sometimes crop up long after it has dried out.
  14. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

ahh well atleast you have a backup. Keep them both sorta current and you won't miss a beat if the new one fails.

every one of mine seems to love drinking coffee, could be why I go thru them every few months.....
  15. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Thats kinda what I thought. I will probably use the "wet" one as a palm pilot at my desk at work for phone numbers etc. I have always jumped before and got rid of old phones quickly but I think this will be a good backup. I really really like this phone! Thanks to all for listening to me whine a bit!
  16. Just FYI I believe verizon did away with the 15 day period to add insurance. Its a take it or leave it thing now when you purchase the phone.
  17. cruffner

cruffner New Member

Just in case...I had them send the replacement out with insurance already on it. I did not send any point in tking chances.

They sent me out a replacemrnt for 200.00 for the one I got wet. i APPRECIATED THAT, because they really did not have to give me a price break. Then the one they sent, had some cosmetic damage, so I asm sending it back and they are sending me another. I actually got it ytesterday evening and I am in the process of getting things moved over. Hope I get settled in soon with a phone. I am getting a little weary of moving stuff around just because of a mistake I made! LOVE THE PHONE!!! The last time they offered me the c but it was gonna be 60.00 more and I hated to spend the $$$$$. The more I think about, the more I kindas wish I had bucked up. I don't use the music.