Got Dust? - Taking apart the Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by AnonPosterQ9c, Mar 25, 2008.

1. tedpoe

tedpoe New Member

Stuck in the middle of disassembly

Any suggestions? I'm stuck at Step 6, separating the black plastic piece from the chrome front piece. I can separate it at the bottom, but the top gives a lot of resistance.

Thanks,
    Ted
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Unless I am wrong, you are entering the danger zone. It is a sticky stuff holding that on. I did it a while ago and the dust just comes back. I DON'T wanna say wht to do here.
  3. tedpoe

tedpoe New Member

Stuck at 6

Sticky stuff, like tape? That would explain the resistance. If it wasn't there and I could separate the pieces, I'd just blow the dust off every month or so. Being able to only separate the black and silver sections by 1-2 mm, an air canister can only move the dust so much.

What does it take to get past the sticky stuff, and can it be removed once you get in there?

Thanks,
    Ted
  4. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Not sure if it is tape there, may be a hidden screw. I took it to sprint at that point. The dust will come back.
  5. PACanesFAn

PACanesFAn New Member

I had the dust problem in the lower corner as well. Due to Verizon making a mistake with a recent data outage, I got [yet] another phone out of the deal. I experimented with the old one. The directions are very well written and I got rid of the dust. Pretty easy as well.
  6. tedpoe

tedpoe New Member

I still don't see how to easily separate the two sections once the backplates are off. I'm thinking of ordering a case separator tool, so as to not scratch or chip the edges of the case as I try to separate them. Thanks for the encouraging words, though.
  7. PACanesFAn

PACanesFAn New Member

^ It was kinda tricky. That was the part that took the longest. I used a flat tip precision screwdriver. You have to slowly pry keep moving around the bottom. Use your other hand to keep the section you pried already from settling back down into the housing.
  8. steinj1

steinj1 Member

I took mine apart about 4 months ago and now the dust is coming back. Love the phone but I HATE the dust problem. Looks like im going to be taking it apart again. Can anyone recommend a style / place to buy a pda tool. I have seen a few kinds (guitar pick shaped / screwdriver handle) Any suggestions? Thanks guys
  9. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

A little off-topic, but in case anybody cares, I happened to notice the screen on a friend's BB Curve. It had more dust in it than my Q9c.
  10. 210CNJ

210CNJ New Member

How about just taking the glass off the front.. Is it just a pull off and replace? i read the thread and only saw a couple of sentences about this could someone help.. i found one on ebay to replace mine at for 10.99
  11. W9RAN

W9RAN New Member

Thanks for the great disassembly procedure and pics. My Q9c got a bad case of road rash last weekend, and I'll be installing one of the unbranded OEM faceplates, so this is exactly what I was looking for.

Appreciate the effort!
  12. Spose

Spose New Member

Good Work!

It took more time to track down the #6 Torx than it did to remove the dust.
    I didn't read all of the comments and don't know if this was mentioned but I found taking a very small flat-head screwdriver (about 1/8" wide), putting it between the chrome and the back cover and giving it a slight twist made removal of the back cover very easy.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
  13. walke2jd

walke2jd New Member

Hey OP, can you log into your photobucket account. The pics are no longer coming up because your account has been inactive for 90 days.

Thanks!!!
  14. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

I hate it when that happens. Photobucket is not really appropriate for pictures in forums. I asked them to temporarily reactivate AnonPosterQ9c's account so I could rehost the images. If anyone notices that the pictures are back CAPTURE THEM.
  15. TheAngryPenguin

TheAngryPenguin New Member

Many Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to "AnonPosterQ9c"! Your detailed instructions were invaluable! My Q9c is now dust-free, however, the "glass" is in pretty bad shape, which is somewhat puzzling since I've always kept the phone in a Body Glove case. At least I will be fully confident when I'm ready to replace the faceplate/lens. I've been considering the Lime Green one, but I'm not sure that I'd like how it looks with a black backside. Besides, my backplate is also scratched up, so I'd much rather go full tilt and do the entire housing, but don't want to spend that much. Anyone know of a good source for inexpensive parts other than ccn.cn?
  16. scorrpio

scorrpio New Member

Thanks for the write up. My LCD screen somehow got damaged and developed a growing black blob. $27 on ebay got me a replacement screen with both the screwdriver and 'prying tool' included, shipped for free from Hong Kong. Replaced the screen today. Works like a champ now.

After the 5 screws are removed, and you separated the plastic in one location, carefully inserting smallflat screwdriver around the perimeter, finishing at the rocking wheel does the trick. It was easy. After that,`any resistance you get (like taking out PCB stack is adhesive - keep applying slow, steady pressure, and it pops out. The screen is held in by a piece of sticky fabric. The miniSD PCB is held on with some 2-sided tape, pretty strong, but a bit of steady, slow prying and it popped right off. Maneuvering the LCD connector into place with miniSD PCB still attached is a bear - much easier to detach and then replace.

Funniy thing, I am planning to go Droid in a week, but I wanted the Q9c to remain functional just in case.
  17. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

You wanted the Q to remain functional so you CUT HER IN HALF?!? You Droid.
  18. hermex

hermex New Member

scary but effective

Reseating that LCD plug was a little iffy, as it doesn't snap into place, it just sits in a little socket, easily disturbed by fussing. Screen was dead when I powered on so I had to go back in.

What I assume are the speakers fell out for no good reason, so I had to snap them back in.

Finally, when putting the plastic piece back into the bezel, the bottom wouldn't sit flush. I don't know if I couldn't click it in properly or if the screws are meant to hold it together.

Everything is back together and my screen looks much better. Made me sweat a little bit.

Shouldn't a silicone case that covers the edges keep most of the dust out? I'd rather not do this again.