Google Maps Works on WM5!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by jhalsey205, Feb 1, 2007.

1. breaves

breaves New Member

Problem with Google Maps

I seem to be a little behind the curve on this one, but the app looks good. The only problem I have is the very first "directions" I attempted had some strange ressults. I work on the North side of Birmingham AL. I asked for directions to a business on the "South" side of Birmingham. Google Maps consistantly gave me directions to an address on the north side of town. I would re-type the destination to reflect the south side of town, but when I pressed "GO", the address reverted to North.

Has anyone experienced this?
  2. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

It might be interesting to compare the results with Windows Live Search. FYI I live in Birmingham as well. I have found the direction provided by Google and Windows Live to be very similar. I tend to use Windows Live because it will install to the storage card (and Google cannot).

John
  3. shanes_17

shanes_17 New Member

Yeah I got my Q about 2 weeks ago, installed Google maps about a week ago and its been unreal how useful and user friendly this app is. Responds quickly, functionality of bringing up any local business, directions, and the detailed satellite images are great. I cant compare to Windows Live? version, ive never installed it. Google maps for the Q is a must have IMO.
  4. FCLymond

FCLymond New Member

Success!

Figured it out (thanks to a bit more searching on qusers).

After doing the GPSCOM.exe fix, I had to go back to Settings/Connections/USB to PC, and check the box that says "Enable advanced network functionality". Then I did a reboot of my Q, and re-paired my TomTom GPS receiver to the Q. Voila!

Now have WLS and Google Maps recognizing my GPS, and it is sweet!

Woot!
  5. Rider

Rider New Member

Google maps + Moto = Awesome!

That's something with real functionality! (installed like a charm, too)

Now, I love playing games. But the next time I'm lost and need a map... well, this is something truly valuable on Mr. Q.

Thank you so much for this!
  6. hanski9

hanski9 New Member

I noticed I had a BT GPS entry under Device. Should I remove this? Will my Garmin Mobile XT still work with my Mobile 10 if I do remove it?

Thanks,
  7. CogswellCogs

CogswellCogs New Member

I've been a Google Maps whore since it came out...until I saw Windows Live in action on a guy's laptop in the Vegas airport two weeks ago. I have both on my Q and either works well--out of the box.

I still use Gmaps for directions, but WLive for other utilities.
  8. chongorecords

chongorecords New Member

Google Maps - Sprint Q - iGPS-BT

Title shows my equipment, and my problem is they do not work together!

How do I get the Q to detect the iGPS-BT and use it with google maps?

so far I got it to work with the Live search, But would much rather use Google maps.

Anyone get anything to work with there moto Q and google maps?
  9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I hate to sound dumb but I am waiting on my GPS receiver to arrive, but unsure what to do first. pair the gps, run GPSCOM.exe, repair, open google maps or what???? Can you give my a little help since you ahve done it recently. Thanks in advance
  10. chongorecords

chongorecords New Member

Where do I get GPSCOM.exe?

Where do I get GPSCOM.exe? is it free?
  11. Stealth

Stealth New Member

12. boytoreckonwith

boytoreckonwith New Member

I've checked my registry settings 3x over. all correct. I installed GPSCOM.exe and ran it to com1. restarted hundreds of times...I use google maps, hit track logaction (gps) and then my phone asks for permission and I choose the gps. Google maps says "XXKB. GPS..." in the top corner and hangs there. It even hangs other programs after i leave. I have to take out my battery to get it going about. any ideas?
  13. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Not really mine worked from that point on. I would try deleting the paired GPS and repair it. Then restart once more and try googlemaps. If that doesn't work I am not sure since I didn't have those issues.

I see you checked your reg settings. Did you do some Hacks? with GPSCOM.exe your should NOT have too. So that might be it also if you did some.
  14. GuitrThree

GuitrThree New Member

I'm having the same exact problem. I have installed maps4pda, and that works, but cannot get it to work with WL or Google. Just hangs the system everytime.

I've installed and used the GPSCOM.exe.
    I've done the hack posted.
    I've even master reset the Q, started with nothing but Google Maps and GPSCOM.exe.

Nothing has worked, the exact same result, every time. Lock-up when accessing GPS with Google, and while no lock-up occures using WLive, it won't even recognize the GPS is even there.. at least Google asks...

Maps4PDA works ok, but, I like another user, see those big blocks of nothing, white space with black lines... I can zoom in and out and these blocks dissappear, but when I go back to the original zoom level, the blocks come back.

I don't know how to check what version of the MotoQ rom I'm running. Got the phone for Christmas, if that time frame gives any indication... also went to Motorolas page, but they seem to only provide instructions for upgrading using XP. I, of course, have Vista, and don't know if I should try to upgrade since I have to use the newer Windows Sync Center and not the Sync 4.2 that you need to use in XP...

ANY ideas??

I have the QStar 32 channel

Thanks.
  15. Stealth

Stealth New Member

16. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 New Member

Thanks so much for this.

I got my Holux GPSSlim 236 working with this method. I wasn't actually sure which COM port was correct (had my Q less than a day, lots to learn), but COM1: did the trick. I'm on Verizon and I successfully used aeconfig to unlock the phone and then Mobile Registry Editor to add the keys.

Strange that this had to be hacked in, rather than just being available.

Now, if I can only get the damn bluetooth connection to ActiveSync working...
  17. GuitrThree

GuitrThree New Member

I finally got it to work.. I found a spare XP machine, loaded Active Sync 4.2, and flashed the Q to the latest ROM...

Of course, the Q froze during the early stages of the upgrade, where the screen already turned black with White lettering in the "DOS" looking screen.. that's always a good feeling,:angry: but I did turn it off and turn it on and all when well from there..:2cool:

Loaded Google maps, and turned on the GPS.. nothing... couldn't find the GPS..

Then loaded GPSCOM.exe, ran, and then ran Google..

Bingo..

So looks like my ROM was the problem...

Anyone having the same issues should, I guess, flash...
  18. Metalman223344

Metalman223344 New Member

Hey guys interested in this greatly too lazy to read whole thread does it access the web or use mobile web? I wish to not use web if at all possible
  19. jmwatts

jmwatts New Member

Is there any way for this app to tell you where you currently are, based on what tower you're connected to? I know if you use mobile google it uses this to tell approximately where you are and give you some rough directions to a location. I was surprised to find this wasn't leveraged, unless I'm just missing a button somewhere.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

no, i do not believe that is possible unless you buy a GPS device/receiver to use with the Q.