Google Maps Works on WM5!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by jhalsey205, Feb 1, 2007.

1. red_1z

red_1z New Member

so for example if i have a 10MB data plan, google maps will eat data out of there while i use it?
  2. Tao

Tao New Member

There isn't enough memory to store maps on the Q and still have room for anything else. So the maps have to be downloaded on demand, same exact way it works on the internet.
  3. evil247

evil247 New Member

Or there are pay programs out there that come installed on a Mini SD card such as Route 66.
  4. qnoob

qnoob New Member

great little app
  5. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

I have been using both Win Live and Google and I am liking Goog better. It seems to be a little more simple - or at least easier to find stuff on. However, Win Live still does traffic updates better and more accurately. I'll keep both and use the one I need for the results I want. Gotta admit, both are pretty cool!
  6. CMantis

CMantis New Member

There is CoPilot (3D) for $199 installed on 1gb memory card or Mapopolis (2D) downloadable for $99.

7. jcsnappy

jcsnappy New Member

Maps without Data Plan

Is there any way to download google maps on my computer and then transfer them to my storage card and use them with like Map4pda. I don't have the data plan and would like to use the maps for reference when traveling. Any Ideas??????????????/
  8. riptorn

riptorn New Member

I have the same problem with Google Maps that my previous mapping problem had. When I use the Voice Recognition software that came with the Q it doesn't work. As soon as I take the software off it works fine again.

-I have the latest release of Mobile 5.0 installed.
    -I rebooted the phone (to clear apps and memory) and it still happens.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I love this option.

BTW so what happens when the cell companies clue in and with a bluetooth gps you can have the best in car/or walking gps with up to date maps and traffic??? And they could easily charge $5-10 per month. Data would be the only concern but I am not sure how much it will task the system. I am dieing up here in Canada with their Data plans. $100 per month for 250 megs or the crazy $60 per month for 30 megs.

Thanks,

Nathan...
  9. ruetzal18

ruetzal18 New Member

I have map 4 pda on my phone and you can select a map provider they have about 7 on this program..Google, Telenav, Yahoo....etc also has satellite imagrey, gps linkage (although not sure how this looks and I am interested if anyone has hooked up a gps antenna with this program.) Map 4 pda also gives driving directions with the detailed direction overlayed on the map.
  10. Tao

Tao New Member

After screwing around with both map4pda and google maps, I'm keeping both. Each has unique things it does, or does better than the other. I've used google maps a ridiculous amount since I got it for looking up businesses. I love how in the options, I can call the business directly from the google maps app.
  11. ruetzal18

ruetzal18 New Member

are u using a gps antenna with these. If so tell me how it looks and acts. Not sure if it looks like a cars gps or not...or if its just a dot on a map showing where you are
  12. lilsia101

lilsia101 New Member

Anyone have more clarification on this? Im looking at this with regedit and im not quite sure what step 2 is asking me to do.

I have a cellink btg-7000 receiver and its connected to my Q. However, it has a question sign next to it. Any help would be super duper amazing.

Thanks!
  13. evil247

evil247 New Member

Step 2 is asking you to create the string under the drivers if it doesn't exist. I can only explain how to do it with Resco because that is what I have in front of me. When you are in the GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers Folder. Press the RSK(menu) Push Right on File, Push Right again on New, scroll down to String Value and select it. Then enter CurrentDriver for the string. Once that is in there select the CurrentDriver String and enter My Gps Driver as the String Value.
  14. lilsia101

lilsia101 New Member

One problem i had was not using Resco. I got it and the directions made a lot more sense with that program. Thanks!

Just a side note, when i go to menu, file, new, string value/ it gives me the option to enter "Name:" which i assume is where i need to enter in CurrentDriver and on down arrow is "String:" Where i must enter in My Gps Driver correct?

Also, in your original post, are the Quotations necessary?

Thank you very much for your indulgence :laugh2:
  15. evil247

evil247 New Member

No Quotes.
  16. liquidart

liquidart New Member

I am using "mobile registry editor" I drilled down to drivers folder and then selected new string value etc. per instructions but get an "access denied" error ? Do I need to unlock it first or should I get a different editor ?

17. liquidart

liquidart New Member

wait, I found these instructions to unlock it. http://www.sems.org/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=157

ok, wish me luck, I am going in to the belly of the beast !
  18. ksmith80209

ksmith80209 New Member

19. liquidart

liquidart New Member

WOW ! works like a charm ! Thank you !!!
  20. FCLymond

FCLymond New Member

Just tried GPSCOM.exe, and it does make the correct registry changes. However, GoogleMaps will still not recognize my GPS. I'm using a TOMTOM Wireless GPS MkII, and the Q does pair with it, using BTC5: as the incoming COM port and COM1: as the outgoing port. I have tried changing the appropriate string value (COMM) to both of those, with no success. What am I missing?