Google Maps Works on WM5!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by jhalsey205, Feb 1, 2007.

1. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

Google Maps Works on WM5!

Heads up! Google maps now works on WM5 "out of the box.". This is not a J2ME version, but a native version for Windows Mobile devices.

http://www.google.com/gmm/winm
  2. MattB

MattB New Member

Are you using it? There are a few posts about it, and I'm curious to see if its better than windows live.
  3. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

Up to this point, I have been a fan of Windows Live (and Map4PDA before that). That said, Google appears to be the new champ. I have not done any serious comparative analysis. Features seem very similar to Windows Live map, but a bit more polished. I have not done any serious comparative analysis, but Googles interface seems more responsive (quicker). You can also map to a contact. The "Find Location..." and "Find Nearby Business..." pulls better results.

John
  4. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Yeah Google Maps is pretty nice; interface is more responsive, probably because it's not all "skinned," if you will.

One thing that's pretty freakin amazing is WORLD coverage! I was able to find my old boarding school in Germany on the satellite map! It even gave me directions to get from Frankfurt to Heidelberg. It is even also able to locate businesses in the vicinity.

Yes I understand that my Q will never leave the U.S. (except perhaps to America Junior up North ;)), but the capabilities of this app are amazing, IMHO.
  5. firestud5

firestud5 New Member

Google earth

It works like a champ on my Q. Excellent.:2cool:
  6. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I'm liking this program. I just wish that they actually had satalite images of my area.
  7. URang

URang New Member

This is great. I just downloaded the program and punched in a few addresses. It quickly and accurately brought them up. The satellite images are cool feature too.
    The turn by turn directions are overlaid right on the map. This is a great resource. It even has the capability of using GPS if you happen to have a receiver.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i installed it and so far so good, it even knew where the little street i live on was.. besides from the fact that it is not a speaking GPS it does give decent/good directions from A to B. thing i miss is reverse route.
  9. lexluthor

lexluthor New Member

Anyone else notice that you can't install google maps to the storage card?

If you try, it still puts it on the device.

Anyone else see the same thing?
  10. URang

URang New Member

Lex,
    I checked and it installed on my device too ....even though I selected the option to install it to my card.
  11. griffey2584

griffey2584 New Member

I am also having this issue. I have tried everything to move it to my card but I am having no luck. Does anyone know a work around for this?
  12. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I'm guessing this is still in beta. So I would also guess that it's just a glitch. Should be fixed next release.
  13. griffey2584

griffey2584 New Member

Thats what I am thinking too. Oh well, it is still a really great program that I am using the heck out of!
  14. Tao

Tao New Member

So this app is better than map4pda, and works with MOL2?
  15. qnoob

qnoob New Member

Installed today too. Works like a charm. As noob, it was straight forward to install. Turned on the Q, went to the URL, downloaded it and was able to immediately start using it.

Haven't used Map4PDA yet. I downloaded the app and didn't know I had to install another app beforehand (.NET?). So at least from my perspective, it was pretty easy to install / use Google Maps.
  16. evil247

evil247 New Member

Read this over @ qusers.com.(http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8435) For using GPS with Google maps. Have already made the changes and can confirm that it works.

I just picked up this tip from TransFXB at the Google Groups forum for the Smartphone Edition of Google Maps.
    (http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...74abdd5548f/6cfb85981b53c044#6cfb85981b53c044)

Using this information I've been able to get my Garmin 10x Bluetooth receiver to connect to SP Edition of Google Maps on my Q.

1.) Make sure the following registry key exists:
    - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers"
    - If key not present, then create it.

2.) Create the following String value under the "Drivers" key:
    CurrentDriver = "My GPS Driver"

3.) Make sure the following key exists:
    - "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS IntermediateDriver\Drivers\My GPS Driver"
    - If key not present, then create it.

4.) Create the following String values under the "My GPS Driver" key:
    InterfaceType = "COMM"
    FriendlyName = "My GPS Driver"
    CommPort = "COM1:"
    (Note: This assumes your GPS is assigned to COM1:. If not, change the CommPort to the correct port number)
  17. Skipper

Skipper New Member

So far its working ok for me. I ran into some problems when I go to "lookup contact." Its tells me to click the menu button, new contact and then create new contact, but the only option under the menu button on that screen is "cancel."
    It sounds like nobody else is running into that problem so maybe I'll try a fresh install of the program, but its still a good program.

I have a question about the GPS on it too. does it use the Q's built-in gps to receive a location? or does it only work with an external one like the 12v car kits you can buy for the Q? It doesnt seem to want to talk to my GPS and im thinking it might be that. Any light into the situation would be appreciated! **edit** watched the video on the homepage. I guess I do need a gps receiver for it to work... booo**
  18. red_1z

red_1z New Member

does this cost money?

this is too good to be true...does it cost money (for example, use your monthly data) to navigate through?
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

nope, Google Maps is free !! :2cool:
  20. evil247

evil247 New Member

The program is free but you will be using data as it pulls the maps from google. I have barely used it at all today. Been using the windows live beta. Much better for gps navigaton in my opinion then google maps.