Google Map via MAP for PDA

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Techdeckguy, Jul 31, 2006.

1. barcolounger

barcolounger New Member

Ditto for me - I've got a Sprint Q and I've installed CF2. map4pda installs fine but crashes when I launch it. I guess the consensus is that map4pda does not work with MOL2 yet?
  2. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

3. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

4. barcolounger

barcolounger New Member

I just did. Amazing. And I'm not presently on EVDO.
  5. evil247

evil247 New Member

Just loaded it up and ran some directions. Amazingly fast. Much faster than virtual earth. Now I just need a GPS receiver.
  6. MattB

MattB New Member

I just saw this too, but havent downloaded it yet. How is it compaired to the Windows Live Search?
  7. ChinnoDog

ChinnoDog New Member

Wow! Google Maps is indeed pretty nice. And fast. This isn't good for my Q accessory budget. Now I have to see if Navizon VirtualGPS really works. That is, unless anyone knows where to get a bluetooth GPS for less than $20.
  8. ChinnoDog

ChinnoDog New Member

I retract my last post. Navizon crashes on the phone and requires the area to be mapped by someone with a GPS. I could just buy a bluetooth GPS for $35 at geeks.com. Anyone have a better price?
  9. evil247

evil247 New Member

This one?
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BTG-7000&cat=GPS
    That's a good price. Doesn't list the Q as a compatible phone but doesn't mean it won't work. I was just looking at the 44$ one before looking at this post.
  10. ChinnoDog

ChinnoDog New Member

Me too! That $44 one is pimp. In fact, I just bought it. Hooray for spontaneous purchases! :2cool:
  11. evil247

evil247 New Member

Let us know how it works out. I'll probably be buying one here in the near future.
  12. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

I have never used GPS recievers. Will most of them work with google maps? Any things to watch out for?
  13. cw07

cw07 New Member

I'm wondering the same thing. Let us know how this works when you get it. I used to use VZ Navigator on my RAZR for everything and I am really missing it on the Q. If this works well enough I am definitely buying one.
  14. evil247

evil247 New Member

15. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Will that receiver work with google map? So what which is better google maps or map4pda?
  16. evil247

evil247 New Member

That receiver does work with google maps if you do the workaround I posted here.
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/software/google-maps-works-wm5-3747-2.html

Map4pda has the google maps in it along with maps from yahoo maps and several others. google maps hardly takes up anyspace so I personally have them both installed. Along with Virtual Earth and live search. All of them work with a bluetooth GPS, ALthough Virtual Earth doesn't track by GPS will just pull up a map of your current location.
  17. ChinnoDog

ChinnoDog New Member

Ooh. Good information. My GPS has an estimated delivery date of today. I will check out those registry keys this evening when I fire it up.
  18. evil247

evil247 New Member

I did the 2 day delivery option. I wanted it for a snowboarding trip I was taking tomorrow but it's a mute point as there is no cell service on the mountain and I don't have a stand alone gps product yet. Anyone know of a free one that I could load even if it's a trial?
  19. Tao

Tao New Member

I'm not sure what exacly you're asking, evil247, but google maps and map4pda are freeware.
  20. evil247

evil247 New Member

Yes I know they are freeware but they will only work where you have service. I wanted to know of any freeware apps where the maps are actually on the Q(like route 66 or tomtom mobile) so that it would work near snowshoe WV wear I am snowboarding this weekend. There is no service whatsover once you are about an hour away from the top.