Google map and Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by thebluenile, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Xebec

Xebec Member

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=81872&ctx=sibling&topic=13541

Quote from the video:

"Pressing 0 or selecting My Location (beta) from the menu takes you to your current location" which contradicts this statement from a poster in this tread:

Sorry, but Google disagrees with you. My Location (beta) can get your postion via triangulation from cell towers or, GPS. Whether My Location (beta) gets your location from the cell towers or it gets in information from GPS, it is STILL using My Location. Currently with the Q9h, you cannot obtain a signal from the cell towers (there is a reason why it is called BETA). When you see the larger blue circle on other phones, that does not mean that you're using My Location (beta), it means that My Location (beta) received the signal via triangulation from the cell towers and because of that, the blue signal is general area of where you are (it is not as accurate as GPS). When My Location (beta) receives the signal via GPS, you will not see the larger blue circle. The reason for this is GPS is more accurate than info from the cell towers and it does not need to show a general area of where you are. In any case, no matter where My Location (beta) gets your location, you're still using My Location. Everyone agrees that with the Q9h, My Location (beta) cannot get its position from the cell towers. I don't know what the big deal is in doing so. Sure, it may be faster, but is sure as heck is not as accurate as GPS. Other posters here will kick and scream and call me an uneducated idiot for saying so, but using GPS with My Location (beta) is still using My Location. Google says so and I'll believe Google over them.

Using GPS and My Location (beta): Using GPS on a Windows device:
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=60665&ctx=sibling&topic=13541
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Oh boy.

They can work in tandem, but yes, they dont need to. In my opinion, the beta is a substitute for GPS, but NOT the other way around. Thats like saying cruise control is a substitue for driving with your feet. Its an added benefit. In theory, you should have both, and use each at its convenience. However, given the shortcomings of the this phone's GPS chip, Id use the beta all the time, if I could.

Point being, on the iPhone, BJII (albeit limited), and a bunch of Blackberries (those with GPS chips), they work in tandem. Like I said in my sticky, when you lose sat signal with GPS, beta can take over. It can also fire up MUCH more quicker than our GPS chips. And also, it saves much battery compared to using the GPS chip. Again, these are benefits given the nature of its purpose. Ideally, Google would like them to work in tandem with every phone, but thats not gonna happen for awhile, if ever. Why are we discussing such an irrelevant point anyway ????
  3. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

@xebec
    well, thank you for calling yourself an idiot.
    the 'big deal' is that due to this unfortunate choice in naming of the feature, many idiots like you are now claiming the beta feature is working on the Q9H. If you can open your mind and accept the fact that the beta is referring to the combination of cell tower triangulation and gps technologies then you cannot say the beta or 'My Location' is working. gps was functional on GMM long before this beta feature came out.
  4. Xebec

Xebec Member

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=39894&topic=13541

Note that it does NOT say that when using the GPS, you're no longer using My Location (beta). For some unknown reason, some here believe it can be called using My Location (beta) ONLY if the signal comes from the cell towers. That is simply not the case. Note that Google calls getting the signal from cell towers a SECONDARY location method. That means getting the signal from the GPS is the PRIMARY location method for My Location (beta). If My Location's primary location method is using the GPS, how then is it not being called using My Location when the signal is from the GPS?

Currently on the Q9h, My Location only works with the primary location method GPS, but it is still called using My Location. It is still beta after all, and reports in the Google help forums say that Motorola is storing info from the cell towers in a different area that GMM does not currently recognize. FYI, when a signal can be aquired from the cell towers, you'll know by going into Help>About. Scroll down to the very bottom. the "myl:" line will show something other than "N/A".

Someone tell me this, if Google themselves say that My Location (beta)'s primary location method is GPS, then how in the world can you say you're not using My Location (beta) if you're getting the signal from GPS?

Is the My Location (beta) feature functional on the Q9h? yes - only when using the primary location method.

Is the MY Location (beta) feature fully functional? no - the secondary location method does not currently work.
  5. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps/

"My Location (beta). My Location takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map, usually within 1,000 meters – so you can find out where you are even without GPS. Google Maps for mobile also supports built-in GPS, or can link to a Bluetooth GPS sensor to more accurately pinpoint a user's location."

This is directly from the google link under features.

If you choose to ignore the main part of the feature and focus only the GPS parts of the sentences in all related articles or explanations on this topic, then there is no way to convince these people that they are idiots. (except xebec who admits it.)

This is like trying to convince people the world is not flat. You show them pictures of Earth from outer space and they still don't believe it.
  6. Xebec

Xebec Member

I suppose it is you that needs to learn to read. I quoted directly from google that states getting info from the cell towers is the SECONDARY location method. Do you know what secondary means? I think not. Using the GPS is the PRIMARY location method. If your phone does not have GPS, or GPS is not active on your phone, then My Location (beta) attempts to use the SECONDARY location method which is what you you linked to above. I know it is hard for you to comprehend primary vs secondary, but it isn't for most people.
  7. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Then why would you go around saying that it works?
  8. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Even if it is the SECONDARY method, it is the PRIMARY part of their new beta feature.

Of course gps will be the primary method because it is more accurate. Who in their right mind would choose to use least accurate when both are available to choose from. What has this got to do with what is the new feature?
  9. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

So you have conceded from 'working' to 'not fully functional'.

That would be considered success for our side.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL.

All I needed was a cup of coffee and sit back and watch you two spar at it. This is fun.

He can't read what I write, so even if I called him a douche bag (and this title is rarely given out), he wouldn't know....hey, that gives me ideas....he he. But I digress.

The "My Location(beta)" feature was NEVER mentioned before the triangulation method was introduced. The My Location (notice there is no beta) worked long before this. And GPS worked long before this.

The "evidence" he used was to the contrary, because according to the poster he quoted the video, yet, NOWHERE in the video does it EVER say the word GPS. I know, I watched it about 6 times at nauseam.

People who are "idiots" as ptlee so eloquently stated won't comprehend the English language I suppose, and then start to quote stuff verbatim that simply isn't there. I guess some of us live on Earth, and others live....well....

How about we come to a consensus ???? "My Location" is done by pressing "0" (zero), it centers you on your location, it can use GPS, and has NOTHING to do with cell phone triangulation.

"My Location(beta)" is the new feature, which shares ONLY the fact that you press "0" to activate it. It works by triangulating cell phone tower information and giving you a relative position.

How about we leave out the beta when we refer to the GPS centering function, since it worked LONG before the "My Location(beta)" feature, and labeling the triangulation, "My Location(beta)" ???? All the literature supports it as such, all the videos do too. In fact, when they talk about "My Location(beta)", they, and I quote from here

"My Location (beta). My Location takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map, usually within 1,000 meters – so you can find out where you are even without GPS. Google Maps for mobile also supports built-in GPS, or can link to a Bluetooth GPS sensor to more accurately pinpoint a user's location."

Notice it does not say, "My Location(beta)...supports built-in GPS", or that My Location(beta) can link to a Bluetooth sensor, that is done by Google Maps. It says, "Google Maps...supports built-in GPS" If GPS was part of "My Location(beta)", they would have said so. Thats because if you took away "My Location(beta)", you'd still have My Location, and GPS.

I can't make it any clearer. And I believe that literature should solve it right there. So I'm done. Feel free to repost ptlee, so our "commander" of standard edited English might get a hint someday.

People these days....
  11. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

If you don't already have this on it, can you add?

It is google telling people how to tell when the beta is working.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=81871&ctx=sibling&topic=13541

"If you have a Java-enabled (J2ME) device, BlackBerry or Windows Mobile device, you can easily check whether or not My Location (beta) is available. Just go to "Help" > "About" from the application. If the box contains "myl: N/A," it means your device isn't reporting a cell, and your location may not be available. "
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Man... who cares! Windows Live Search is better anyways... :tounge:
  13. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 New Member

huh?

Quick question. I went to that link but didn't see any posts. Does one need to join that forum to read it's threads?

Thanks
  14. mexiken

mexiken New Member

No you dont have to register, but you're always free to, and post if you'd like :) You do need to register however to download the files. Fortunately, the website is moving to a better bulletin system, but the link is temporarily down. I will update it as soon as its migrated over.
  15. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Windows Live Search could be improved by this cell tower triangulation technology too if Microsoft is ever enticed to join in.

Imagine in WLS under choose location the selection for "Current GPS Position" would just be "Current Position" because you can be located by GPS or by Cell Towers (these are always available or you would not have signal to dial out. you can even be indoors.). You would not have to type in anything or say anything. Wouldn't that be nice.
  16. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Remember,

GMM and WLS are from companies that are PRIMARILY concerned with being search engines not what a lot of you people have turned them into a poor man's navigation software. So, GPS is also supported but this is SECONDARY to them. They would rather you use their software anywhere posible and Cell Towers will allow their program to be used INDOORS and on all cellphones. Where is the greater market share? Cellphones with GPS or all cellphones? What do you think the "My Location (beta)" is trying to do? Maybe, get the greater market share?
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I will update it in a few. Here is the updated link for the sticky btw.
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Update done, ptlee. Thanks for that. REALLY helps clear it up. Seeing as how Google says THATS how you check if you're using My Location(beta), or not, it should pretty much put to rest anyone who thinks you're still using the My Location(beta) feature of it despite it saying, N/A
  19. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Now, I don't want to fan the WiFi flames, but I thought it was interesting just the same:

Under my About, I have this:

Platform: winm-Smartphone-MotoQ Norman/Web [en_US, en]
    myl: N/A
    wifi: N/A (1)

Now, I two things. One, wifi wasn't there before in other versions. Does this mean they're like Navizon now where they can get triangulation based on Wifi signal too ???? Thats what it seems like to me.

And two, what makes it interesting is, why is there a 1 in parenthesis ????

Does anyone else have this ???? And have the 1 ???? I'm running GM 2.1.0.10
  20. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

I'm still on 2.0.1.28. Guess I'll go get updated.