Google map and Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by thebluenile, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes ninja, you were wrong in this case. Its not a substitute, just as ptlee said.

They are meant to compliment each other. Or actually, My Location(beta) is meant for those without GPS, however, given its speed and ease of use and the ability to improve its accuracy over time given you just using it, its benefits are MUCH more clear than GPS. You only really need GPS for turn by turn, voice guided directions, or when you wanna know where you are to plot a route, or search nearby. Other than that, its a slight bit overkill. My Location(beta) addresses the last two issues. Still needs work for the first one.

Even if you fire up the GPS, you still won't get anything in the "myl" part. Try it.

Yes, the BJII works with My Location(beta), but ONLY on the GSM network. It does not work with the AT&T 3G towers. At least, this was a while back, with older versions of Google Maps, don't know if it still functions the same way, though I would assume it would.

I would like to know if the Q9h works on T-Mobile towers, because we've had this discussion in another thread, and we came to the conclusion that it was the RDIL's in Moto's phones that prevent it from working correctly. If it works on T-Mo, then I know its a network issue, not a device one.

I don't know which one's worse though :frown:
  2. sniffs

sniffs New Member

From my experience..the GPS chip power's down to save battery life.. when you first open a program that access it, it takes a minute or so to not only power on, but to aquire a signal.. If you open GMM and it doesn't instantly aquire a fix, uncheck Use GPS and recheck it a few times, it'll eventually power on.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

In my experiences, that actually slows it down. Every time you boot it up, you're cold booting it. Every time you uncheck and check, you restart the process.
  4. alexeyge

alexeyge Member

Location beta does not work in Switzerland. I guess it is not a network issue.
  5. Xebec

Xebec Member

That's funny, because my AT&T Q Global works just fine on "My Location" after I get a satellite fix.

Edit: It appears to work anyway, I do not get an error message when I click on "My location".
  6. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

After all of the previous posts, you still don't get it?

It appears to work because it IS partially working. The GPS positioning part is working. The other part is Cell Tower positioning and that is not working. The two positioning technologies can work together giving benefits which we (Q owners) have not been able to try out.
  7. sniffs

sniffs New Member

When I first start up GMM and go to Use GPS, it act's like it's searching, than the searching goes away and nothing ever happens.. If I uncheck Use GPS, then recheck it.. within 20-30 seconds it pinpoints a GPS and I can use it normally..

If I use Live Search, no matter how many times I tell it to center on GPS, it never finds it.. I have to use GMM to start the GPS, then from there I can access GPS using other mapping software. It's weird!
  8. Xebec

Xebec Member

I know about the cell tower assist in positioning. I replied that because others in this thread posted that it doesn't work at ALL on the Q9h, even after a GPS lock. I'm pointing out that on my Q9h, the My Location feature does work after the GPS locks on. So, either I'm lying about it working after the GPS locks on, or they're incorrect about it not working at all even with a GPS lock. I know I'm not lying.

Edit: You even posted yourself: "It is not available even after the gps is initialized".

I'm telling you it does work, at least on my phone.
  9. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Try using GPSID/GPStest to kickstart the GPS. These utilities and/or turning the gps status indicator using registry setting will let you see exactly when you lockon the satellites.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

From my understanding, he can't see my posts, so he doesn't see ANYTHING I'm writing. Thats why I asked someone to re-post it for me, or forward it, or something. He, like others, is just confused and therefore confusing people by posting that the My Location works, which it does, but people assume they mean My Location(beta) feature works, which it doesnt. The My Location feature always worked, and My Location(beta)doesn't start to work after you check "Use GPS", its 2 seperate features.
  11. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Then you are misreading the responses.

You took my response out of context by not showing what it was replying to.

here it is shown it full:

Originally Posted by ninjaap [​IMG]
    On the Q9h that value you are referring will always read n/a. Because it is "NOT AVAILABLE" until you initialize gps by clicking on "use gps" in menu.
    It is not available even after the gps is initialized. because the myl: value is only for cell tower data which the GMM app cannot get from our phones for some reason.

We were referring to the myl: value is not available. That does not mean the gps positioning is not working.

So, you are reading the previous posts incorrectly.
  12. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

If you're not reading all of the previous posts, then you might not know what is going on.
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

And that's exactly what I was trying to say. It will ALWAYS reads n/a. Even after gps is initialized. That is why it led me to believe that gps is a SUBSTITUTE to my location. Because it still doesn't work as you just have stated. That is why I am having a hard time understanding your idea that it works in tandem. But apparently I'm wrong. And no doubt your going to tell me I'm wrong and that my post is useless... again... just trying to understand it mtyself.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Looking forward to that mexiken...
  15. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

The myl: value can always shows N/A and GMM will still work. Because, the GPS value is not stored there. The myl: value is for storing Cell Tower data and we are unable to get that (due to Google is too busy to fix it for us) so that is why it shows N/A. There is another value in GMM that holds the GPS values. So, the GMM program can use either GPS or myl values as follows:

myl_value = coordinates from cell towers
    gps_value = coordinates from GPS satellites

if gps_value is available then
    map_position = gps_value
    else
    if myl_value is available then
    map_position = myl_value
    else
    map_position = n/a (not available)
    try_again
    endif
    endif
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Here it is.

Done and done.
  17. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

well done mexiken!
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Thank you. If theres anything that anyone thinks I should add, please let me know. I'd like to clarify that matter as much as possible, and I realize that my way of explaining it might not suffice for everyone.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

So this proves my point that in Q9h's gps is a SUBSTITUTE for my location. They cannot and do not work in tandem in Q9h's. My location is really meant for non-gps enabled phones, because it approximates your location. If you have gps there is not a need for an approximation, becuase gps provides you with an exact location. Am I wrong or am I still misunderstanding something here? Good post by the way mexiken. I gather you got that info from google's site. I've read the same info from there and saw that same video.
  20. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

you need to reread.

he wrote they CAN work in tandem. they currently, do not work in tandem because google cannot get the cell tower data on the Q.