Google map and Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by thebluenile, Jul 13, 2008.

1. thebluenile

thebluenile New Member

Google map and Q9h

Does everybody receive a message saying "Your hanset doesn't seem to be compatible with My Location (beta) feature" when you try to find your location using google map? ANy idea how to solve the problem?
    Thanks
  2. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

I think we'd all be getting this message, and I don't think there's an easy way around it. Except for that message, Google Maps works fine.

If you click on Menu + Use GPS you might be delighted to find that your location is fairly accurately reported without having to run any other GPS incident first.

At least, my phone does that.
  3. Xebec

Xebec Member

If you wait until your phone locks onto a gps signal, then using that will work.
  4. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

@op
    That feature does not work on any of the Qs. But, it does not affect the functionality of the GPS. As others have said you will still be able to see you position as you move along on the map without that feature. If Google ever decides to get the feature working for this device and you don't like it, you can disable it in the options.
  5. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

correction: disabling the "My Location" feature disables the GPS functions as well.
  6. 47seijar

47seijar New Member

I was getting this message when I tried to use the GPS with T-Mobile's TZones data plan. When I upgraded to Total Internet the message stopped and it worked like a charm. I had the "Global" version of the Q, AT&T-branded but unlocked.
  7. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

To confirm that the feature is working. Can you bring up the help,about screen in GMM and scroll down to the bottom and tell us what you get for the myl: value? Thanks.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

On the Q9h that value you are referring will always read n/a. Because it is "NOT AVAILABLE" until you initialize gps by clicking on "use gps" in menu. Once your gps has locked to a satelite, you can then click on "my location".

"My Location" technically uses the tower triangulation thingy (for the lack of a more technical term) :tounge:. But since this feature is not compatible with Q9h, the gps acts as a substitute. Which is actually a better substitute, because it is more precise at pointing to your location.
  9. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

You are wrong. The GPS is not a substitute. The two technologies are meant to work in tandem. The iPhone 3g has the two technologies working together. Mexiken said the Blackjack II is working also. Whether good or bad we won't know. It does not work as designed on our phones. If you feel satisfied with just GPS, that is fine for you. Please don't interfere with getting more information here. If the Q9h on T-Mobile is working, it would be the first Q that is fully working with GMM. We can have a first hand account of any benefits.

What is the point of your post? Do we already know the Q9h does not work on Tmobile? You could have held your post until 47seijar replied.
  10. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

It is not available even after the gps is initialized. because the myl: value is only for cell tower data which the GMM app cannot get from our phones for some reason.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Then why does it work for me after I get a satelite lock?
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Wow! Ok looks like you got a handle on things here. It's all you then.
  13. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

@ninjaap
    because there are two sets of values. one from cell towers and the other set from gps. when gps data is available gmm will use that first because it is more accurate. when gps is not available (ie tall buildings blocking) gmm would use cell towers if available.
  14. JeffPom

JeffPom New Member

I have used "My Location" and do get that error message. However, I find that if I give it time, or move the map around a bit - it will lock onto me eventually and I can then use it.

It's touchy.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Short answer, yes, and there is no way around it, unless Google sticks in a line of code that makes the app work with the Motorola Q9h RDIL's or changes it code to something the Moto (whole line) RDIL's understand.
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

If you hit the "Use GPS" option, then you're using just that, GPS.

Google Maps has gotten better about booting up GPS with its latest versions, so I'm happy about that. Still a bit slow though, but thats not Google's fault.
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

This guy has me blocked, so maybe someone can forward this to him (or her) so he can stop spreading misinformation:

Using that does NOT mean it works. The ability to use GPS and THEN hit the "0" button which corresponds to your location and centers you on the map and follows you has been functional since long before the "My Location(beta)" feature came out, which was last December. Google really dropped the ball on this one though making it the same button, the "0" button, as what "My Location" did before. So A LOT of people who aren't aware that it did that before think that hitting "0" after the GPS locks makes "My Location(beta)" magically work when it doesn't. Hitting 0 makes the "My Location" work, but thats worked since long before the beta version which uses cell phone tower triangulation.

I'm gonna sticky this over at my forum, complete with photos, so this can be cleared up. It sucks to explain this over and over, but it has to be done because so many people don't really know the difference, and its not their fault, its Google's.
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I was actually thinking of compiling a list of devices that it fails to work on and sending them to Google, however I don't believe they have an email support system in the traditional sense, just "groups" AKA forums where they hardly ever post anything, so I doubt it'd do much good.
  19. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You are correct, but only in the later versions. Before, you could disable it and still use GPS. The latest versions however are set to do the "My Location (beta)" feature when you boot up the app. Kinda annoying for those of us device users for which it doesn't work.
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes, could you please update us with this ????

If it works, this would be rather interesting....