Good non-bluetooth, corded headset

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by bfar03, Jul 23, 2007.

1. bfar03

bfar03 New Member

Good non-bluetooth, corded headset

Any suggestions for a good single-ear headset with a cord that attaches to your Q? (ie: non-bluetooth headset). My girlfriend doesn't want to deal with turning on and off bluetooth on the phone and waiting for the headset to couple.
  2. randy.andrade

randy.andrade New Member

This past weekend I picked up a plantronics corded headset that works amazing with the Q. I believe the model is the MX-510. It has a very different, but highly effective, flexible, and comfortable ear piece, with a full, but thin boom mic tube (a design which I prefer). It also features an inline controller, that has a call start/stop button, a mic mute switch, and a volume control. I hadn't played with the voice commands on my Q until I got this headset, but I found it superb for the built-in voice recognition that the Q features, and was totally blown away with both the headset performance, as well as the Q's extremely accurate command recognition.

Anyhow, if you're still looking for a non-bluetooth, corded headset solution, I HIGHLY recommend this product.
  3. bfar03

bfar03 New Member

thanks for the reply. apparently not many people use corded headsets anymore...

but how comfortable is this headset? Can you wear it long term (couple of hours) without it being uncomfortable? Read some amazon reviews and was concerned that some say it starts to irritate the ear.
  4. randy.andrade

randy.andrade New Member

I, personally, do a lot of travelling for work. I picked these up last thursday evening, while driving from western Michigan to Milwaukee, WI... I got the headset around 6pm, after I crossed into Indiana, and what should have been a 3 hour trip ended up taking about 5, when I hit construction & traffic outside of OHare in Chicago. I wore the headset from the time I bought it around 6, to the time I finished my work and crashed at my hotel eventually, around midnight, and found myself no worse for the wear. I've had several longish drives since then (4-6 hours) and I wear it without any problems constantly during them, and during my regular around-town driving as well.

I can understand that some people may not find the design comfortable, particularly if they are, as I was, confused as to the actual proper placement of the speaker-part of the headset. I call it the "speaker-part" because it's not an earbud or anything similar. It's a little oddly shaped almost earbud looking thing that seems to house a small speaker driver on either side (for left or right ear functionality). Initially I was trying to poke aim and stick the little speaker into my ear canal. Not only did this give me a sore ear canal, but it also greatly reduced the sound quality and volume. It took me a couple hours of fiddling with it while driving to realize that it really is just supposed to sit at the entrance of your ear canal "pointed down" as the speakers are on either side of the speaker unit and not on the end as I first assumed. Since I've figured that out I've found that it's quite comfortable to use, although, like anything of this nature, that's a personal decision.

Randy
  5. dawiese

dawiese New Member

Mx-510

I use the MX-500i which is a predicessor to the MX-510 and is identical in design. As far as comfort goes, it will depend on the size of your outer ear canal. The speaker housing is oval shaped and will create pressure points if you have a small outer ear canal like me. It's anouying but I get past it after awhile. I recommend caution when adjusting the boom mic tube. It's made of brittle plastic. It will break easily if pushed too far. The wind dampening filter at the tip of the tube is also very brittle.