Gmail help

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Groovey252, Jan 21, 2007.

1. uscoastiee

uscoastiee New Member

Gmail Stopped Sending My Emails???

I went through the set up of Gmail back in April when I got my Q. Everything has been working great, until recently. No when I Send/Receive all of my new emails are downloaded like they should be, but the mail in my Outbox is not sent. So now my Outbox has a few emails in it that won't send. I have a SprintPCS Email account set up on my Q that Sends and Receives fine. The only change I have made to my phone was when I installed PDANet on 7/17/07. My mail problem has been going on since 8/6/07.

The error message I get is:
    "The following errors occurred while sending and receiving mail:
    An error occurred while downloading messages. Verify that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct and then try again."

I have updated my PCS Vision many times, hoping that would work, but it hasn't.

I have not made any changes to the account options. I have three Gmail accounts set up on my Q and all of them give the same error.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Did Gmail change something?

Here are the account options on my Q:
    Your name: Adam X
    Email address: xxx@gmail.com
    User Name: recent:xxx@gmail.com
    Password: xxxxxx
    Domain: Blank
    Save Password: Checked
    Server type: POP3
    Account Name: Adam X
    Network: The Internet
    Incoming Server: pop.gmail.com:995
    SSL: Not Checked
    Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com:465
    Requires Auth: Checked
    Download: Past three days, first 1000 bytes
    Check: Every hour

My other two accounts match this set up exactly.

Thanks for any help you can offer in advance!!
    Adam
  2. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Not to hijack this thread but ... how come no one's using the Gmail java app? It smokes the standard email setup that everyone's complaining about.

AdamZapple
  3. uscoastiee

uscoastiee New Member

How about some more info of what you use? Where did you download the Java software from?

Give some more info if you think everyone else should use it!

Thanks
  4. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

How to Install the Gmail Java App

It's been posted a number of times. Here are step-by-step instructions. Thanks to ominx on QUsers Forum.

1.) Download IBM Java from: http://files.filefront.com//;6090608;;/

2.) Copy the entire J9 folder to the root of your Q keeping directory structure

3.) In the J9\MIDP20 folder create a subfolder called apps

4.) Download the Gmail jar file from: http://gmail.com/app/v1.0.0/en/gmail-g.jar

5.) Download Gmail jad from: http://gmail.com/app/v1.0.0/en/gm-Generic-Advanced_MIDP2.jad

6.) Rename the jad file gmail.jad for simplicity

7.) Copy both gmail.jad & gmail-g.jar to \J9\MIDP20\apps

8.) Run emulator.exe found in \J9\MIDP20\bin

9.) Select install and in the drop down box select "/"

10.) In the URL box type \J9\MIDP20\apps\gmail.jad

11.) Follow prompts until you see the application has been installed successfully

12.) Create a text file for a direct shortcut to the Gmail java app

13.) Use the following line for the shortcut (keep it a single line):
    197#"\J9\MIDP20\bin\j9midp20.exe" -classpath "\J9\MIDP20\apps\gmail-g.jar" "-Xbootclasspath:\J9\MIDP20\lib\jclMidp20\jclMidp20.jxe" javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager "\J9\MIDP20\apps\gmail.jad"

14.) Save the text file as Gmail.lnk

15.) Copy Gmail.lnk to \Windows\Start Menu

16.) To fix fonts download http://mysite.verizon.net/res00tqh/fontPaths.jar

17.) Copy fontPaths.jar to \J9\MIDP20\lib\jclMidp20\ext

18.) Optional: Create a speed dial shortcut for one click access from your homescreen

Good luck!

Adam
  5. fareal

fareal New Member

Have you noticed when you compose a new message with the gmail java app and search for contacts it will not find many of your contacts?
  6. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Just tested and that's not my experience. It found all my contacts. I will say though that the contacts are the Achilles heel of the gmail app. I have all my contacts on the Q synced with Outlook on my PC but they're not available to me in the gmail app. It's not a huge problem for me since on the Q I'm mostly responding to others' emails rather than composing new ones.

Adam
  7. fareal

fareal New Member

Which version of the Gmail app are you using (Menu - Goto - Help). I'm using..

Version: 1.1.1 Web
    Platform: Generic-Advanced_MIDP2

When I compose a new message, and select the To field, it takes me to the Search field. Below the search field it actually displays all of my contacts, but that list is useless because Gmail stores all email contacts which makes the list too long to actually scroll through. So the Search field is necessary, but it doesn't work right for me. For example.. I have a contact named Accessorygeeks.com with an email address of sales@accessorygeeks.com. If I type "A" or even "AC" in the search field that contact does not display in the results. If I type "sales" or any part of that word, it still does not display. BUT if I change that contact to Sales@accessorygeeks.com with an upper case "S", then the search field will find it. Annoying since the majority of my gmail contacts do not begin with an upper case letter.
  8. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

Mine says:

Version: 1.0.0b
    Platform: Generic-Advanced_MIDP2

I wonder if I should upgrade?

My experience with the search field is the same as yours. It's useless. Instead, I have to scroll through the entire contact list, click the checkbox and and then done. It's a bit of a chore.
  9. pimpoifical

pimpoifical New Member

is there any way i can download the gmail app from my phone with out going thru a computer?
  10. jasonw357

jasonw357 New Member

No Luck

I've tried everything and it keeps going back to the password like I have a wrong password. I log onto it everyday from a computer, but it won't let me on my Q phone.
  11. sashe

sashe New Member

The cows came home but no one replied.
    I've just got the same issue. No outgoing gmail!
    H-E-L-PUnsure

12. troutseth

troutseth Guest

SSL should be checked.
  13. mal54808

mal54808 New Member

sorry but i've been trying to get my gmail to work, i've done all of that and still it takes me back to enter my password in and everything i dont know whats worng:embarassed: could u help me out please
  14. troutseth

troutseth Guest

have you logged on to gmail via the web and set it up for POP service? You can find it under settings -- POP and forwarding (or something like that). You have to turn it on from Google's site as well
  15. dougeetx

dougeetx New Member

I don't get the option for settings when I hit messaging in my Q. What am I doing wrong?
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

if this is about what troutseth said, he is talking about the settings in your Gmail account on-line, not on the Q.
  17. mal54808

mal54808 New Member

thanks a bunch.:smile: i'll try that
  18. brown705

brown705 New Member

Adam, THANK YOU for this post. I just did all of this, and it works. I then found elsewhere that the Gmail App has been updated to 1.5.0, so I thought I'd let everyone else know to change the download paths to the following:

Step 4 - JAR file: http://gmail.com/app/v1.5.0/L1/gmail-g.jar

Step 5 - JAD file: http://gmail.com/app/gmail.jad?make=Generic&model=Advanced MIDP2&ver=v1.5.0

Step 6 - Rename: SKIP this, since the download already has the JAD file named "gmail.jad".

Michael
  19. buckguin

buckguin New Member

Im hoping someone can help me get my gmail account working. I had it working the way I wanted but had to restore my phone and lost it. I followed the instructions to get it and it doesnt work right. When it sends/recieves, it brings me up to the incoming server screen to type in my password even tho i had save password clicked. It wont bring my mail up. I have no idea whats wrong with it cause I followed every instruction at the beginning of this thread.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

and you have the "recent:" in front of it ?... as i posted somewhere, at a random point in time it did not work on my Q, and it took me 3 delete and re-create accounts before i got it working again... still dunno why i did work the 3rd time but it has worked ever since.