Gmail help

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Groovey252, Jan 21, 2007.

1. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

i.ve started having an issue with my q since sunday where i am inable to send mail. i.ve had my q for a couple of months bow and its been flawless fonce i got gmail working ( via ths thread) and ogsync for my calender.

the error is an error occurred while downloading messages. please verify that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct then try again

nothing has chaged in my setting to my gmail account or to my settings on my q.

any thoughts? .
  2. b8b

b8b New Member

That's the same error I was getting, it's an authentication error. Have you tried the "recent:" trick (putting "recent:" in front of your username) mentioned in this and other posts?
  3. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Yup, i removed it, then readded it, then removed it and readded it.

why would my sending authentication be fubar'd all of the sudden?

I still recieve all my mail fine
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

receiving mail is often less problematic then sending (relay issues etc.). did you also delete the account and re-create it ?
  5. dmwalton

dmwalton New Member

I've been having the same problem - I had changed nothing in the settings, and gmail stopped being able to send mail around Sunday or so. It downloads mail with no problems at all. I have everything set up exactly as described in this thread, and have even tried messing with some of the settings (removing and re-adding recent:, checking and unchecking "require SSL connection", switching to the other smtp port), with no changes. I haven't deleted and readded the entire gmail account on the phone, but why would that make a difference, if I use the same settings? I did double-check the settings in gmail POP and Forwarding, too, and everything appears to be ok there.

I'm on Sprint, if that makes a difference.
  6. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

I'm on sprint too. I'm gonna completely dump and readd the account this afternoon and see what heppens
  7. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

deleting and recreating the email account worked and my gmail is back functioning fine now
  8. b8b

b8b New Member

OK, so it took me a LOOONG time and bunches of searching, so maybe this makes it easier for someone else, but I like the instructions located at the bottom of this page: http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6456&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I have the Gmail app working, it's SWEET. However, my original goal of being able to synchronize messaging (mark read one place, marked read all) and use the native messaging on the Q so I can get message notification, use predictive entry, etc. remain elusive. Gmail does NOT do IMAP. I will likely puruse over the air synching with active synch and have Outlook download Gmail pop, but even then I will not have messages marked read for the web interface. So the search continues and the Gmail app will do nicely in the mean time...
  9. dmwalton

dmwalton New Member

Looks like that worked for me, too. That's annoying - are we going to have to do that every few weeks from now on? Is that what folks are doing?
  10. b8b

b8b New Member

SO the Gmail app is nice, but since it does not run natively onthe Q, you can't switch to it, so if you go to another screen, you just lost your place. Also, seems a bit buggy on the Q JVM emulator, sometimes when I hit the backspace it goes to the last app you were in. Last, and most importantly, it appears that you can only send to contacts withing gmail, so I click to and it re-downloads it every time (there's tons in mine, been using it for more than 3 years) yet I can never find the people I am looking for and it doesn't appear to allow me to input the email address manually. So I guess I am still searching for a solution. Anyone have any ideas?? Does this Good thing (sprint) cost? TIA.
  11. b8b

b8b New Member

So I tried archiving all my email except for a few and resetting the pop3 in Gmail to allow from today onward. It still wants to go through 1200+ emails on the send and recieve, so it doesn't look like this is going to work either. I was thinking about forwarding my gmail to my sprintmail, then send with the Gmail account, but that wouldn't save the sent messages in Gmail, which I like that it does. Sigh. Why are there no solutions? it's 2007...
  12. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

If you are worried about all of the 1200 emails downloading, don't be. They won't all download. Just let your Q run its course and it should just pull out the new emails.
  13. b8b

b8b New Member

I know they don't download, but it takes a looooong time to go through them on 1x (only 1x available here).

Any idea why Gmail sent email (sent through web interface) would show up in my Q messaging inbox?
  14. FourTwenSesh

You have your send options on your Q sending you a copy as well. If you go into the mail account settings on your Q you can shut that option off.
  15. yagars

yagars New Member

The only settings i see are "Include copy of original message when replying to e-mail" (not checked) and "save copies of sent items" (checked). I would like to save sent items, just like in Outlook, but I don't want them to show up in my inbox.
  16. RJC

RJC New Member

Gmail stopped working today

Ok, I'm pretty savvy w the Q. I've had Gmail setup for a month or so, and today it just stopped sending emails - similar to what other's in this thread have experienced.
    I noticed today that all of my sent mail is in my outbox. I click send/receive and I can receive messages, but upon completion I get the error message:

The following errors occurred while sending and receiving mail:
    An error occurred while downloading messages....etc

I've checked the setup of the account. POP settings are fine. I've deleted and recreated the account 2X. Soft reset between. Used the "Recent" before the email account to no avail.

Anybody that has had a similar experience that has fixed this, please let me know.

I'm w/ Verizon.

Thanks in advance.
  17. FourTwenSesh

Try going into wireless manager and disable/reenable the phone there. This works for me when I get the network error.
  18. adamzapple

adamzapple New Member

I've had my Gmail account working since I first got my Q in February. However, I don't use it! Instead I use the Java Gmail app which, in my opinion, is far superior. It's a bit of work to setup initially but well worth the trouble.

Adam
  19. RJC

RJC New Member

That didn't work either....it actually gave me a different "no coverage" error.
  20. NosLliWhsoj

NosLliWhsoj New Member

im getting the same error. whenever i go to "send/rec" im getting it. never had problems before.