Getting Data on Verizon Help

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by FusionSaint, Mar 30, 2009.

1. FusionSaint

FusionSaint New Member

Getting Data on Verizon Help

Hey guys I've checked all the topics around here and none of them really seemed to help me at this point. I've never used Verizon Data plans before on any of my phone. I looked at the one post about the VPack data and did what it said but it didn't seem to help me perhaps because I've never had a data plan before.
    Right now I'm running upwards of $28 dollars on my account through "pay as you go" data use and really want a data plan for my phone but would prefer to not pay for the smartphone plan ($35 or so) if at all possible. I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to activate data on my plan for the lower $14 dollar rate. I'm a tad bit lost as how to do that.
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

The lower rate is mobile web (not for smartphones...)

Doesn't Verizon have a $24.99 per month unlimited plan?
  3. mick4394

mick4394 Member

They offer a 29.99 unlimited data plan for smartphones.
  4. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

what phone type did you have on your account prior to activating your Nap? Also did you add the data feature to your account prior to activating the Nap, IE. did you add it (data)to the line while still using the old phone you had?

Edit: the lower data rate for dumbphones is $15 a month. Don't think they have ever had a $24.99 data plan for any phone. Smartphone I know have always been $29.99 or higher depending on which one you go with
  5. mick4394

mick4394 Member

They used to have a 24.99 10Mb plan for smartphones. I think they dropped it late last year.
  6. FusionSaint

FusionSaint New Member

I had a Dare before activating the Nap, and no I've never had a data plan on my account, hence why I'm apprehensive about doing anything with it.
  7. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

so you if I'm understanding correctly you never had data on the Dare it was always pay as you go (ie $1.99/mb). You got a Nap still having no data plan and activated it and then added the data feature to the Nap after it was active?

Also are you sure the charges you are seeing are not from before you added data to the account now.
  8. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Ya got THREE choices . . . (Maybe) Don't know what phone you have but other than "pay-as-you-go" ya got $45 (Unlimired w/Wireless Sync"; $30 (Unlimited wo/Wireless Sync; OR $15 VCast Pak unlimited (if you can fenagle it.) That's it, my friend. I'm thinkin' the best that you can do is the $30 plan unless you are fortinate enough to have a Nap. :) -Q
  9. FusionSaint

FusionSaint New Member

I have an activated Napoleon already running on Verizon. I have never had nor do I have now a Data Plan with Verizon.

My goal is to get a data plan to replace the pay as you go system since that will crush my budget.

I would like to, if possible, get the VCAST Pak for $15. My question is how do I go about getting that PAK if they only option available to me seems to be to get the Smartphone PAK. Also if I get that PAK will that cover internet use as well as my email updating etc?
  10. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

FIRST: If you go to your VZW "My Account" and your phone is represented by a "shadow" of a dumb phone, that's a good start. All the rest of "How to" is in various threads here on EQ. One caveat though, if you don't have a "dumb phone" to swap out, you're cooked because you will need to use that to get the V-Pak. :) -Q
  11. FusionSaint

FusionSaint New Member

I do have a dumb phone to swap out, however I've read recently on this board that people haven't been able to swap their Naps back in. Either on the net or through the phone.

I do in fact have the gray dumbphone on the MyVerizon page.
  12. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

As mentioned above this reply the data plan has to be put on the account prior to changing to the Nap. So in reality you needed to add the vpak to your Dare before changing to your q9n. Now here is the kicker seeing as the *228 activation option is currently not working if you change back to your Dare to add the data pak you will not be able to get your q9n actived again becasue the only way to active them is using the OTA activation which is broken like I mentioned. If you try doing it online almost a 100% chance it will tell you the MEDI/ESN is invalid and they will want you to call CS, which in turn will tell you the same exact thing even tho you had it on the account already. Believe me I'm sitting on a q9n right now tha tcan not be actived because of there *228 issue.
  13. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

That is absolutely correct. So at this point you are kinda stuck I'd say because as soon as you would swap out you will not get your q9n back on the account until they fix the OTA issue.
  14. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I did, no prob last week, if you read my post, but the worse that can happen is if you need human intervention you tell them the Nap is an old "test" phone NOT TELLING THEM IT IS A NAP. See first if "on-line" will let you get the V-Pak and go from there. In the end, what's to loose? You either end up where you are now (not cool) OR you end up with $15 unlimited V-Pak, (VERY COOL) !!! Keep us posted. :) -Q
  15. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Yea but don't you have a Assembled in USA phone? If so that is why online works.

As for talking with CS unless you get someone who knows what they are doing they will not active it tho. However I would try logging into your My Account and just add the data pak to the line if it comes up on the list, but my guess is it will not be selectable do to the fact the system does not know what the device is and will think it is not Vcast capable. I went down that road with one of the ones I ahd for my buddy. He forgot to do it prior to activation and we couldn't get it added. So I swapped back to his v9m added the data, and then activated the q9n again and all was good t ogo.
  16. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Yeah, yeah, Aix. It's a real snipe hunt, eh? I'm gonna get another Nap from MM soon . . . I just can't wait to go through all of this crap again! HA !!! :) -Q
  17. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

I thought so.

And yea I hear ya, but if the darn OTA was working as it should be it's no big deal to get them activated. Like I've mentioned I've had like 6 or 7 ( maybe more can't recall...lol)go threw my hands with no issues until last week when I just got this last one. And the only reason is because of the OTA probs they have. Every other one was snap snap no issues at all. Heck not even activating the one I got for a buddy who wanted it strictly for GSM service (ie T-mobile).
  18. FusionSaint

FusionSaint New Member

So if I were to call Verizon and request a data plan what should I ask them for?
  19. FusionSaint

FusionSaint New Member

Alright, I went on the MyVerizon site where it gave me the option for the Smartphone Data Plan. Finally giving in I decided better that than nothing at all. So I selected it and hit continue. Following that it said the Smartphone pack was not compatible with my phone and told me I needed to get the 14.99 VPak instead. So I clicked accept. Much to my surprise under my services it says I have the Verizon VPak!

WOOO! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I have no idea how this happened but I'm happy!
  20. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

congrats for sure. Odd to say the least as I've yet seen that one happen in the ones I've tried. Maybe another option tho to just select the smartphone data plan and when and if it does say that for others they will get the vpak option also. thanks for reporting back to let us know the details tho. Heck if I could get this other Nap activated I'd test this process out myself as the line I can use does not have any data feature on it currently anyways.