Generic chargers vs OEM chargers

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by lespaulplayer, Nov 30, 2009.

1. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

Generic chargers vs OEM chargers

Phone is the q9c.

I recently had my secondary tag-along charger die and quickly ordered a cheapy from amazon. But apparently my phone only likes OEM chargers, because it refuses to charge with this new one.

Suspecting it may be due to the lower amperage of the new charger (450mA vs 550mA), I ripped it apart and frankensteined together a new charger out of old parts, which output up to 1000mA. And once again, no dice. One thing I noticed from the cheap charger was that only 2 pins were used from the usb cable - +5vdc and gnd.

What exactly makes the OEM charger "special" so that my phone will accept current from it?
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Is this stump the band? :p Tear into the broken charger and tell us how many wires it uses. Maybe there is some kind of data channel for ????
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

it should charge from 500mA and up..

Haven't tried using an el chepo wall charger but have used many generic car ones with no issues
  4. bberryhill0

Car chargers charge way faster than wall chargers. What up with that?? Does a car alternator put out more power than a nuclear power plant?? Why can I charge a cordless drill in a few minutes but a phone takes an hour or more??

Something is wrong with this picture.
  5. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

I solved the mystery of the charger!

It turns out the motorola branded charger has a tiny 220k resistor within the mini usb plug itself. It bridges a few pins, causing the phone to go into "charge mode". This resistor was absent from the cheap charger, so I just took it out of the OEM plug and put it into the new one, and presto! My q is now happy to charge.
  6. bberryhill0

Bravo!!!!!