General thoughts on the Focus?

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by besweeet, Nov 11, 2010.

1. besweeet

besweeet New Member

So how are you guys liking the Focus? Did you play with any other phones at the AT&T store beforehand? I'll be getting my review unit of the Focus tomorrow and am really interested in it. I played with one (as well as the Surround) on Monday at an AT&T store, and it was really a slick looking and nice feeling device. A lot of people complained about the plastic body, but I really do like it.
  2. muddtt

muddtt Member

So far I'm pretty happy with it and happy with the potential it has. I like all the eye candy transitions and the snappiness of it. I played with the HTC surround...wasn't really interested in the gimickness of it. If I want surround sound i'll use my home theater. I like the plastic also. Makes it feel really light but still feels solid and not cheap.
  3. besweeet

besweeet New Member

So my review unit showed up today, and overall, it's a nice device. It's really light, and I'm sorta scared to use it out in the open, as I feel like I'm going to drop the damn thing.

My initial complaints: SYNCING!!!!!! I can't transfer my damn calendars, contacts, or email accounts from my computer to the phone! I guess you have to do it all manually? I wish iTunes was compatible with WP7. My list of complaints is actually quite long. The device itself is good, the OS is another story. It's a decent OS, just has a long way to go.
  4. muddtt

muddtt Member

yup...the list of gripes is long but I can definitely see the potential this OS has. I think if users are willing to hang on for 6 months to a year and microsoft updates quickly it could be a really great phone.
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I didnt have any sync issues because I've maintained my contacts and calenders via Gmail and Live Mail for some time now. But MS should have realized that many people would have the need to sync directly from the PC.
  6. jimsmith

jimsmith New Member

Seeing the awesome screen on the focus blew me away. This is my first smartphone so I'm more easily awed by this new technology. The black is actually black- holy crap! I'm still getting used to it, but really like it so far. One major complaint is that I need to do two actions to answer a phone call when it is locked- I have to swipe up, and then hit answer. Unless I'm missing something...some other thoughts:

phone:
    I like the sliding door that cover the USB port- and I like that the USB is used for both charging and syncing. I also think it is awesome that you can sync over your home wireless network. I don't need to bother plugging it into the PC. BUT, I wish that it charged when I did plug it into the PC. I'm impressed by the camera- it takes a decent photo if you have plenty of light and are lucky enough to have it in focus. But I don't expect much from a camera slapped onto a phone-computer. The speakerphone is loud enough for me and I like that people can hear me clearly when I use it. That is great. Bluetooth headset recognition was a snap, as it should be. I like the thin profile of the phone and the light weight. Did I mention I'm really digging the screen?

I like the simplicity of the home page on the WP7 OS. I like the voice commands for dialing and searching. I like the ability to customize how often everything syncs (email, etc). The Office integration is nice- but one stupid thing is that there is no integration with SkyDrive. Well it's all MS so what gives? Seems like a nobrainer, but perhaps they are just trying to sell sharepoint or something. Seems BS to me, and I hope this is added in the future. I love easy access to music commands when I'm doing other stuff. This was one thing I hated about my ipod touch (3rd gen), and I assume would have been the same for iphone. I like being able to tell if I am connected to a wireless network with one swipe of the finger.

other:
    I'm annoyed that I have to use Zune software. The text in Zune looks blurry for some reason on my PC- is this some type of stupid visual effect? The other annoyance is that now all my folder-organized files are useless if they don't have metadata. There is no folder view... so I have to tag all my media. Blah. I miss the days of being able to drag and drop from my folders to a device to sync it. Now it has to pass inspection in the Zune software. Feels like iTunes, which I hate.
  7. alejovh1

alejovh1 New Member

Loving mine, no dropped calls like on my iPhone 4! ;)
    I have never been this impressed with a new OS, not bad for rev 1
  8. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

I have a few issues with mine, but they're mostly small things, like the problems with the SD card, and the search button being too sensitive, but overall I like this a lot. Two things that I take issue with that aren't WP7 is how smooth the back of the phone is and how reflective the front of the phone is. I know that shiny LCD screen is supposed to make it look better, but man, can it be annoying, but I too fell in love with it's screen. So...beautiful.
  9. alejovh1

alejovh1 New Member

the keyboard is awesome! way better than the iphone's in my opinion. :)
  10. Con Chuot

Con Chuot New Member

I like the keyboard, zune pass, WP7 OS is fast and very good with emails and social notification.
    The screen is beautiful.
  11. WP7map.com

WP7map.com New Member

Like mine. One thing I would change is to add a way to turn off the search button when using the camera. It seems I always hit the search button accidently. In general IMO the camera usage is awkward.
  12. Reid McTaggart

Reid McTaggart New Member

I love it, though I wish for longer battery life under typical usage scenarios.

The phone is really good as a phone, which is very important to me.

Voice search is incredible (hold down the Windows button for a few seconds and then tell it what you want). I've thrown some oddball stuff at it, and it has never failed. "Finding Quizno's in Canoga Park, California"
  13. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

You can also open applications that way.
  14. Canlight

Canlight New Member

Why would iTunes be compatible with a Windows Phone? iPhones are not compatible with Zune software. I don't think it is a game changer just yet but I do believe that it gets Microsoft back in the game.