Garmin Mobile XT and Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by dmarcil, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Rook

Rook New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has ironed out how to start Garmin Mobile and guarantee that Garmin will be able to start and use the internal GPS signal without having to fire up GPS Test or Google Maps to first initiate and establish satellite connections. And this request extends to any Q9x model for any provider, just wondering if someone has it absolutely working all of the time.
  2. aliazing

aliazing New Member

Not working on my Q9h...

Garmin cannot fire it up...
  3. retnuh

retnuh New Member

I posted the following a few posts back:

"Before I installed the Garmin software, I installed:

"MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM3.CAB"

I don't know if it was needed; but, my internal GPS works."

When I start Garmin Mobile XT, it starts the GPS operation. It also connects to the internet; however, I do not have a data plan. So, as soon as I click on the "I Agree" screen, I have to go to "Settings/Connection/Wireless Manager/Menu" and click on "Disconnect Cingular Data". It will send about 7KB of data, @1cent per KB, before I can disconnect from the internet.

retnuh
  4. Rook

Rook New Member

It has been mentioned in this and other threads that the MoDaCo Com hacks drain the battery at an unacceptable rate. For that reason I used the Com 1 Registry Hack found here

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9c/garmin-mobile-xt-and-q9c-17563-3.html

but Garmin remains unreliable in the initiation of any satellite connections. I also have the problem that others mention in which, from time to time, Garmin will still start my bluetooth radio even though it knows to look for the Com1 port. My resolution to both issues so far is to start up Google Maps, start a GPS connection then start Garmin and everything works flawlessly. But, being a person that believes in being as lazy as possible, when able, I was wondering if anyone had resolved this to the end that they need not start anything else other than Garmin, or have anything else on their device and it will just work on its own. Also, whether or not the MoDaCo Com Hacks drain the battery or not is not something I am trying to open for discussion, I would simply like to know if anyone has resolved this without having to use another program. In short, a setting in Garmin or a registry change.
  5. CBonney

CBonney New Member

I don't use the modaco hack. I have configured gpsid to auto manage. Now when I start Garmin, it automatically starts the GPS.