Garmin Mobile XT and Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by dmarcil, Feb 12, 2008.

1. the_bay_mafia

the_bay_mafia New Member

isnt the q9h the same as the q global? just different names?
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes and no. The Q9h is the official model name for the phone, but the Q Global is AT&T's official name for its model, branded with AT&T software. So most companies will call it so, to make sure they are clear that it works for AT&T's branded Q9h, the Q Global.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Honestly, yeah. The 3D mapping, the fact that it actually helps lock up GPS faster than the other programs, almost as well as GPS Test, the fact that it has voice prompted, turn by turn directions. It has automatic re-route, it has automatic avoidance (of traffic, unpaved roads, carpool lanes, toll roads, etc) and selection of how you want your trips set (shortest distant, shortest time, etc). It has the coolest feature I've seen where it jumps on the internet and locates local gas prices for you, and sorts them by distance or cheapest price. I've never seen it so seamless. It does weather on demand too, and even hotel.com room rates !!!! All sortable. Honestly, its pretty amazing. It rivals my car's built in Navi system. Its pretty damn good.
  4. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

I can confirm that it works on Q9h.
  5. bztips

bztips New Member

6. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

I think they are too harsh on the review, I have tried Mapking (an software for Asian navigation needs), TomTom and Garmin, and have heard some other Nokia bundled navigation software, even I don't rate Garmin to be the best among all, I would say it would give the top winner a run for its money.

a few key points which I think is alittle untrue in my opinion

When I first read this comment, my first impression is that the reviewer has some kind of biasness against Garmin. I mean, we are reviewing the software isn't it? BTW, he shouldn't be driving with just one hand holding the phone, it's against the law, at least in the country where I drive. Does he know he can do simulation conduct part of the testing?

Not sure what plug-in GPS devices he's referring to, but the slowness in acquisition has nothing to do with the software 99% of the time. The acqusition, which relies on triangulation of data coming from the satellite are mainly computed in the gps receiver itself, hardly the software itself. The delay in acquistion, most of the time, is due to the poor signal strength especially if the receiver is placed inside the car. There's alot of explanation behind this, but I won't digress it further. But suffice to say, it shouldn't be due to Garmin or any software fault for the poor TTFF.

I think the value-added offering could varies from people to people. Some may want to get the latest up to date POI, some just want to ensure the road are as correct/accurate as possible. I'm not familiar with VZ Navigator, but given that it charges $9.9 per month for the POI access, and possibly additional surcharge for the data download, you may end up paying more than $90 within a year. You get what you pay for.

It could well be a personal preference, I personally dont' want the screen to be cluttered with alot of information that I don't need for the next 1km of driving. Bear in mind, we are running this on a smartphone, which usually have a smaller screen layout than a PNA. Mobile XT (as any other navigation software) does provide voice prompt in terms of what the driver should expect for the next turn, bear right, keep left, turn right in 1km, etc. So I don't see how the lack of a 'permanent' next turn indicator is going to be a big miss here. Plus, when you are near the turn say around 300-500m, the close up turn direction will appear in full screen. Unless you are defying the instruction and speeding at 200km/h when you are near the next turn, this should be suffice.

BTW, mine doesn't show any ad space, so maybe there's some setting to turn it off.

It offers all the various european language and two English lang (American English and UK English) so unless the reviewer wants to have different kinky voice to suits his mood, I don't see why this is somethig he wants to pick on. I got to say I agree the lack of TTS (text to speech) is alittle disappointing, but then again, it's not really a deal breaker for me.

He should have tried the peer point and tell his audience what this function could offer. If both parties are using Garmin, using peer point, you and your friend can easily exchange each other location using Garmin w/o any user intervention (other then initiate a request for the other party's location, or trigger a sending of one's own location, through Garmin via SMS)
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah, they did. I had written quite a long response, but my phone froze on me, literally, froze on me.

I agree with the other comment. Its quite biased, and the reviewer is honestly, an idiot in my opinion. He obviously didn't actually PLAY AROUND with the program, and doesn't know squat about how the product is marketed.

The POI points are not meant to be accessed on the internet. The whole point of the SD card and the product being sold on one is so that you DON'T rely on the internet, its all stored on the SD card. And anyway, you can input Custom POI's if you want. Either on the way or the PC.

Also, the turn indicators, you can set them in the options menu. Again, anyone who actually PLAYED around with it, would know this.

Its pretty sad that someone who writes something that other people read would get SO MUCH wrong.
  8. JDKRIEK

JDKRIEK New Member

9. the_bay_mafia

the_bay_mafia New Member

yea but with telenav you have to pay each time you use it and if i am not mistaken the maps are loaded through the internet where as garmin is all on the micro sd
  10. JDKRIEK

JDKRIEK New Member

No, its $9.99 a month and I’m not saying its better than Garmin. I’m just suggesting an alternative - there are several. TeleNav has a 30 day free trial so try it for yourself and decide.
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Its 9.99 a month for unlimited routing, but again, you have to tack on the 30 bucks a month of internet to actually use it. IF you could go without internet on the phone, you could use said program and it would fully work without the internet.

I think thats what he was referring to.
  12. the_bay_mafia

the_bay_mafia New Member

exactly!!!!!!!
  13. JDKRIEK

JDKRIEK New Member

Doesn't everyone have internet on their phone already? Especially Moto Q users? That is already accounted for IMO and is paid regardless what GPS you decide to go with.
  14. the_bay_mafia

the_bay_mafia New Member

no and no...........
  15. JDKRIEK

JDKRIEK New Member

then what is the point of having a smartphone? pointless.
  16. the_bay_mafia

the_bay_mafia New Member

well i have the internet on my phone but i was just giving you a realistic answer not everyone has internet on their phone just like everyone doesn't have a credit card
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Um, appointments via Outlook, contact info, GPS WITHOUT internet, media player, as an mp3 player, etc etc.
  18. JDKRIEK

JDKRIEK New Member

enough said. the internet is just the glue that holds it all to together for me. acessing my work email from anywhere without a pc and all of the previosly mentioned tasks, but remotely and mobile. andd most people i know got the phone to be cool or something and dont use any of the features. which is just stupid.
  19. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

well, I hear your point.

to me, internet has a big influence to my life as well. I have unlimited plan for my pushmail, and I even use internet to stream live TV and radio.

I think the idea to subscribe to a Navigation service provider like Verizon Telenav, for the nearest POI, etc, is good but should not be the only way for one to be able to get navigated around.

I use GPS to navigate around, as well as for speed trap & ambush POI alert. No way I'm going to download the maps and the corresponding POI as I drive around, that'll be just insane in terms of the bill incurred.
  20. coinstar99

coinstar99 New Member

I got both Garmin XT and TomTom 6 running on my Q9 Global and I am running 6.1, my issue is the auto re-route. Is it slow for everyone else or do I have a setting wrong. I am just asking cause I have tried it a few times on my way to work just to see what it does, and it took maybe 2 minutes to re-route when I took a turn it didn't like. On the other hand the TomTom software I am using re-routes within seconds. I have no issues with GPS signal or anything. I was just curious if anyone else had this issue or maybe a setting I can change.

Thanks