Garmin Mobile XT and Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by mtbron, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mrfashion05

mrfashion05 New Member

I managed to Get Garmin to Work on my Sprint Q9C. However, the Com1 hack didn't exactly work because I believe COM 1 is used by the bluetooth. So, instead of COM1, I used Com2 and it work perfectly. So, follow the instructions for the COM1 hack but use COM2 instead and the associated settings instead. Also I am usin using Garmin XT 4.20.40w version.
  2. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

I dont think com1 is for bluetooth but im glad com2 worked out for you. Are you experiencing any battery drain issues using com2? Its a problem for people who use com4.

-from my q9c
  3. mrfashion05

mrfashion05 New Member

I dont think it has drained my battery, I took a 2 hour trip with Garmin on and my battery barely moved.
  4. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I'm curious.

To those who got this working do you have AGPS enabled.

I had this working on another phone and as soon as I enabled AGPS using Sprints servers it started searching for the bluetooth GPS RX again.

It had been working PERFECTLY until then.
  5. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

I have agps enabled, it shouldn't interfere with garmin. However, you may just have to go back into the option on garmin to search for COM1 for gps again.
  6. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Nope..

It never searched for the GPS, just found it no scanning no complaining.
    Now it automatically activates bluetooth and starts scanning.

I'll undo the registry changes and maybe do a reset to test. I'm SO tired of resetting ):
  7. twinklit

twinklit New Member

Has anyone ever had the problem where it worked after applying the COM1 hack, but then after the aGPS hack on the Q9C it continues to search for satellite? This also applies to Live Search and Google Maps.....thinking about doing a master reset just to start over.
  8. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I know this is pretty much dead but im really interested in this again.
    Im gone yet it on the Q tonight.After a reset one other phone it's working again.
  9. sprint9qcman

sprint9qcman New Member

Mobile Device: Motorola Q9C
    Garmen Mobile XT version: 4.10.01ws

Programs used:

1. AEConfig & HTCunlock - To Unlock Phone
    2. Mobile Registry Editor - To edit Phone's registry
    3. GMM - to activate GPS before starting Garmen.

Procedure: I unlocked the phone then edited the registry using MisterTedster's Method to set everything to use COM1. Did not Install Garmin 10 & Garmin 20 like Lickwid's instruction.

Problems:

1. GMM won't use COM1 for GPS and is still using intermediate GPS driver.

2. Garmin GPS appears to work when I set it to use the COM port that GMM used to acquire [mylocation]. However, it didn't work properly and still could not find GPS device in the end.

3. For some reason, my version of Garmin will only let me choose COM1, COM3, COM6,COM7, and COM9.

Question:

1. Help?

10. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

<p>
    </p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>You have to perform the COM1 registry hack first. If you go back some pages I posted instructions on how to perform the hack. The software necessary to edit the registry is listed in the q9c hacks sticky. When that fails, it seems people have had luck master resetting and re-doing it, which is what I had to do. Hope that helps! Oh just as a quick note, just double check to make sure you performed the reg edits correctly.

-from my q9c</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>-from my q9c</p>
  11. twtcad

twtcad New Member

WOW; this is a long thread

OK.....I'm having some technical difficulties if anybody can help.....please:

First; when my q9c was running wm5 I had Garmin XT 4.xxxx running just fine, but in order for it to work I had to have the com port 4 hack and gpstest and in garmin's setting for com port 4 and everything worked fine except it killed the battery fast.

Now I've finally updated my q9c to wm6.1 and I've started updating and reinstalling software. I started the updated version of Garmin "GarminXT 5.00.20w" and everything works great except I CAN NOT get the the gps to start no matter what I try. I've tried the com port 4 hack, no luck. I've since learned about a reg hack for com port 1 because of this thread. So I tried that hack and everthing else can see the gps on com1 except garmin. gpstest, google maps and livesearch all on com port 1 and running flawless. But when ever I launch garmin it will only see gps intermediate driver. I disable it and tell it com1 and it looks for a while and then goes back to intermediate driver. I've also aplied the aGPS hack with no success in garmin. This is driving me nuts and I miss my garmin already.........does anybody have any suggestions? I'm really hoping not to have to go to an older version because I like the improvements that I've seen already in the newer version. Thank you........
  12. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

It may be the new version may only allow for bluetooth gps receivers to work. I have not yet personally upgraded to the new version yet, so at this point my best suggestion would be for you to perform a master reset and to reinstall the software. Did you ask the motorola update software to save all your settings, etc. when you upgraded to WM 6.1? If so, then a master reset may work.
  13. twtcad

twtcad New Member

Thank You for your quick reply.....I have actually done a master reset and reinstalled garmin and hacks with no more luck. Garmin insists on intermediate driver, not com1 and will not find a satellite.
  14. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

I sent you a pm twtcad, let me know if you received it. Did you remember to unlock your phone with htc unlock? I know that's trivial, but I personally forgot after I updated to wm6.1. Also, you may want to try applying the agps hack, I find that it helps my gps functionality.
  15. twtcad

twtcad New Member

Thanks Mister....I tried to unlock it without luck, it seamed to lock my phone instead. So use the unlock tool in CeREgistryEditor and was good to go. I'll try to reapply the agps hack now. And yes I got your pm and have replied to it also.
  16. twtcad

twtcad New Member

another quick question.....once we did the com1 hack, didn't that tell the internal gps to be com1? gpstest, gm & wls all work on com1 excellently. But garmin will not find a sat.

I just tried to launch garming again w/ gpstest active. In garmin it on com1 it says searching for gps and changes back to intermediate driver and endless searching for sat.
  17. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Garmin will NOT work on some 9cs.
    I can say that 'cause I couldn't get it working on mine no mater what.

Odd thing is I installed the same version on a Diamond and had it working.
    I activated the buiolt in network tool and Garmin started complaining about the bluetooth RX not being there. Not sure why it did that but deactivating it fixed Garmin.

There could be something seemingly unrelated effecting this.
  18. twtcad

twtcad New Member

Well this is my story for Garmin on my Motorola q9c:

Installed GarminXT 5.00.20w software and it worked fine, it just could not find a sat. So I used MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB to activate COM4, but then I had to go into the reg as instructed in MisterTedster's post and make sure it matched everywhere except using 4 instead of 1. Apparently on my q9c com1 is for bluetooth. gpstest, google and wlm work just fine on com4. With gpstest locked on sat's I fire up garmin and tell it to disable the intermediate driver and use com4. After a few minutes if defaults back to intermediate driver and a few minutes after that it appears to have locked onto sat's. But it's a off/on again lock as it keep saying "lost sat reception". But it does somewhat work. Oh and I've also done the aGPS hack. Anybody else have any luck with the q9c? Also, does the aGPS hack have to be reapplied each time you turn the phone on? Thanks!
  19. twtcad

twtcad New Member

I'm starting think that v5 of Garmin is buggie and I may revert back to v4 until a more stable version is released. Thank You for all the help!
  20. dkim36

dkim36 New Member

How in the world were you able to find a setting to use intermediate driver? I have garmin xt and when I click on that gps bar, it does not have any listing of using intermediate driver. Please help me understand how you got that. I have a motorola napoleon and the internal gps is active. it works great. Please let me know.