Garmin Mobile XT and Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by mtbron, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JMak

JMak New Member

Do I need to purchase anything to use the Garmin Mobile XT? I have seen some free downloads at the Garmin site but it's not clear if I have to pruchase something first.
  2. JMak

JMak New Member

So it seems I asked a dumb question. The answer appears to be that I have to purchase the SD card from Garmin and the dl any of the support files from Garmin. Right?

Ok, next question: Do I understand correctly that Garmin Mobile XT doesn't require you to be on your network in order to work? IE, If I am roaming or completely off the network I can still use the Garmin GPS?

Can I do that with WLS/gMM?
  3. lincrich

lincrich New Member

Garmin XT does not require a network connection just a built-in or external GPS receiver whereas WLS and Google maps require an internet connection. The SD card from Garmin contains the map (USA) and GPS software. No additional downloads are required unless you want to purchase maps for regions outside of the USA.
  4. JMak

JMak New Member

Thanks for the response. SO, I cannot use WLS or GMM to do mapping or get directions unless I'm on my provider's network? This seems useless then.

Anyone...is there a no-cost solution here for GPs when not on your provider's network?
  5. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Do you not have data while you're roaming? My SERO plan has unlimited roaming for data, so it's not an issue for me. I don't know about other plans/providers.
  6. JMak

JMak New Member

I have been able to connect to the internet while roaming. The problem is when I am in the upper peninsula of Michigan and not getting any service whatsoever. Other posters have suggested that I map the areas I am traveling to while on the network and then when I am off the network I might be able to view the maps and maybe get directions. We'll see.

It seems to me that there should be a way to storethe maps for WLS/GMM locally and then use the GPS when off the network.

In fact, while at home and switching to roamingin settings WLS won't even connect.
  7. lnh771

lnh771 New Member

I did everything same but still can not run GPS test or Garmin XT on my phone. I want to ask the people who already got it work which company are you in? Is it same Verizon which I am using? Thanks!!
  8. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

Garmin Mobile Xt does not know how to use intermediate drivers on the Q9c thereby necessitating the COM1 or COM4 hacks. The Verizon gps is disabled unless vznavigator is purchased, and it seems that progress on hacking the chip is coming to a halt.
  9. manuks

manuks New Member

I'm having issues with the Com1 hack.. i've tried numerous times to perform these registry hacks, and i'm getting no response from my updated garmin software.. also, after i perform these hacks (very slowly, step by step, to a t), my gmm and wls don't work either..

is there anyone in the boston area that has done this and would be willing to give it a shot for me?

i'll pay ya if you get it to work!
  10. albertts

albertts New Member

okay, i think i've gotten it to work. i'm on a sprint q 9c running windows mobile 6.1. SPECIFICALLY, STEP-BY-STEP this is what i did after a hard reset
    1. computer -> install Microsoft ActiveSync 4_5.msi
    2. unlock phone
    A. computer -> run HTCUnlock.exe
    B. mobile phone -> Accessories -> HTCUnlock
    3. computer -> install GPS Test
    4. computer -> Mobile Registry Editor
    A. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\
    change DriverInterface to COM1:
    B. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\
    change Prefix to COM
    C. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\
    change Index to 1
    if using another COM port number, change the index to match: i.e., COM3: and index 3
    D. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GenericGPSDriver\
    change CommPort to GDD0: (should be default for internal GPS port)
    5. mobile phone -> run GPS Test, set to COM1, allow to connect to internet

i went up to the helicopter landing pad of an eight-story hospital, and the phone transferred a little data (don't know how much or how much it cost me) and then gps test got 11 satellites on COM1 and got the longitude and latitude and everything worked fine after that. after restarting the phone it didn't seem to require the data connection anymore. i didn't allow internet explorer to connect but gps test got the latitude and longitude without prompting me for the connection. hope this is right and keeps working (crossing fingers).
  11. robotphood

robotphood New Member

So I've done it step by step and activated COM1 via the instructions on this thread instead of COM4. Garmin XT shows the bar icons at the top left corner but just the outline. Are the bars supposed to fill in solid colors? It doesn't seem to locate me, it just gets stuck on "awaiting better GPS accuracy". GPS Test doesn't seem to find anything either. Any advice?
  12. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

If you're still on WM6.0 then you can try playing with your gps values, although it should be ok with default values. Also, you can try doing the aGPS hack which requires you to know your msl number. Just google agps hack Q9c.

-from my Q9c
  13. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Forgot to mention I'm on WM6.1 (came with the phone). Does this make a difference?
  14. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

I find that my gps responds better in 6.1. Im assuming you're also using gpstest also right?

-from my q9c
  15. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Yes, tried GPS Test. I set COM1 then tried the activator for COM5, 3, and 4. In GPS Test I either see searching on COMX (something along those lines) or Looking for GPS Unit. As for Garmin, the outline of the bars show up but no satellites (stuck at "Searching for Satellites"). Is my GPS being recognized?
  16. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

I had a similar issue and I just did a hard reset.
    -from my Q9c
  17. robotphood

robotphood New Member

Hrm, might try that. I haven't customized my phone at all yet. Just migrated from a Q to this Q9c yesterday.
  18. robotphood

robotphood New Member

By the way, did you format your SD so you could reinstall Garmin? or overwrite?

UPDATE: I ended up doing a master reset. Reinstalling your (MisterTedster) rapidshare garmin installs and now it works on COM1 with the registry edits. I do have to activate the GPS with GPS Test though. However, it works perfectly. Thanks!

BTW, has anyone else gotten Garmin to activate the GPS without gpstest? A bit of a nuisance to start it everytime I want to fire up Garmin. I'll probably try just installing GPS 10 tomorrow. Hopefully it works and doesn't mess up my working Garmin.
  19. riot

riot New Member

i dont know how, but i dont have any need to use GPSTest or GoogleMaps or anything else to "activate" the GPS. once i installed garmin, i did the registry edit for com1, and as instructed used googlemaps to activate the GPS before i ran GarminXT, all worked. ever since, ive never had to run anything before GarminXT. It takes a minute to get the sattelites but it works on its own so no complaints here!!
  20. robotphood

robotphood New Member

I tried installing it different ways and I always have to use GPS Test. I used it around LA last night and it worked pretty well though. GPS Test took about 10-15 sec to activate the GPS and then Garmin works as soon as it turns on.

riot, did you do the aGPS hack?