Garmin Mobile XT and Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by mtbron, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

4gb is way more than eniugh for maps. the maps only take a few hundred mb at most.

~from my Q
  2. brada55306

brada55306 New Member

Hmm, I sorta got it to work, but how long should it take to search for satellites, also I'm having issues with it pulling up maps after I copy them to the SD card.
  3. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

Ive gotten it to work like that too, but COM1 is MUCH faster at acquiring satellites.

~from my Q
  4. GuyHersh

GuyHersh New Member

Which version are you using? I have it set up to use COM1 (on WM 6.1), and it still takes a few minutes to aquire sattilltes in Garmin, but only a few seconds in Google Maps.

Hmm.. actually, I'm using the version that you posted as well on the 4th page. Are you still using that version? I'm considering using the upgraded version in the first guide.
  5. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

I am still using the same version that I posted. I tried the other updated version and it didn't work for me. You may try it yourself, although the other version posted by lickwid may require the COM4 modaco hack, but you're gonna have severe battery drainage.
  6. blastboi

blastboi New Member

original...

anyone know the original settings before the regediting? i need to change it back since its not working for me...
  7. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

You really don't need to worry about setting everything back afaik. The hacks don't hurt your gpsid functionality, and I've yet to see any other effects of the hacks.
  8. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

This is awesome... pm me for quick instructions on getting Garmin Mobile XT to work WITH PURCHASED SOFTWARE, but without a Garmin GPS... I will not ever promote warez here... you bought the software and have an internal GPS or BT GPS that is not a Garmin unit, I will help you.

By the way... US Cellular Q9c's do NOT have built-in GPS capabilities, unless I'm missing something in the registry or drivers.

I am using a Holux 1000 GPS.... and dayum...
  9. BadBroncoBlues

BadBroncoBlues New Member

Hey Thanks for posting this. I was originally using the MoDaCo COM4 activator but hated how it killed my battery at an unreasonable rate.
    But I had a couple questions about your post if you dont mind me asking.

I have done a master reset on the phone.
    Ran the HTCunlock, restarted the phone
    Opened MobileRegistryEditor and tried to follow your steps, but under
    "
    [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice\]
    String name="DriverInterface"
    String value="COM1:"

DriverInterface is not a String or anything. Do I need to create this? On all the other steps you listed it was easy to change the registry values.

Also in other threads they have mentioned to unlock the GPS and make it aGPS does this effect weither or not your com1 hack will work? I have tried it both ways and still no luck.

Lastly, did you install everything else the way lickwid discussed. IE the GPS 10 then GPS 20.
    I already have Garmin Mobile XT so is the other stuff needed?

Thanks in advance
  10. BadBroncoBlues

I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write all this out an help others.
    I was curious is it needed to install the GPS 10 then GPS 20. I already have Garmin Mobile XT so is the 10 and 20 stuff needed?
    Also did this require you to unlock your GPS and enable it as aGPS?
  11. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

Yes, whatever value isnt already there needs to be created. I also have done the aGPS hack and it works just fine with the COM1 hack. It does seem to work much faster with the aGPS hack.

~from my Q
  12. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

I was under the impression that most phones had aGPS enabled for the most part, and it was the GPS function that we are trying to unlock... aGPS is just "assisted GPS" that uses Cell Phone Towers to triangulate your position, while GPS actually uses multiple satellites to do the same. When pairing aGPS with GPS, you get an even tighter lock on your position, though I've founf regular GPS to be quite sufficient in that regard.

If you have a GPS10 from Garmin, turn it on, connect to bluetooth, and install Garmin Mobile XT 10 and 20. Done... If you are using the internal GPS of your phone, you're on your own getting it to work with ComPort settings, but I'm sure many people can help you get the software set up after that.
  13. BadBroncoBlues

Thanks so much, and wow i didnt expect a response so soon.
  14. bluesneaky

bluesneaky New Member

Verizon 9c and the GPS?

So has anyone been able to make the Verizon 9c work on GPS test or any third party software besides Vz Navigator? I have tried the reg edits, added things that were not there and changed the ones that were, tried the Modoco com 4 activator, found the IsEnabled value Verizon adds and put it to 1 but still no luck.

If someone has gotten it to work on Verizon I would sure like to hear about it! I am so frustrated thinking it just isnt possible with the verizon 9c

Thanks all
  15. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

With my US Cellular 9c, if I do all of those hacks, it actually breaks the GPS function... then again, I am using an external GPS, because so far, no one has been able to figure out how to get the US Cellular GPS Hardware enabled. Dah well... This is still going to be interesting. I wish I had a Verizon phone to test on...

Have you tried installing Garmin Mobile XT and just use the default settings for comm ports while using all the other hacks?
  16. edlivian

edlivian New Member

I am having a problem to get garmin xt to use com1, everytime I do, it tries to access the bluetooth thats also on com1. How do I move bluetooth off com1?

I want to use com1 since my google maps aquires satelites much faster in forced com1.
  17. dragonriot

dragonriot New Member

I've heard, but this is not confirmed, that you can only have one device connected at a time, so what kind of device do you have connected to bluetooth when you are trying to use garmin XT?

Garmin is looking for a Garmin GPS device, and it will search bluetooth until it finds one unless you tell it to do something else. If you have US Cellular, you can't do much, as your bluetooth device will be your GPS... if you are Sprint or Verizon, you may be able to select Intermediate Driver in the Garmin Menu, and get it to stop using Com1, but then you have to apply all the GPS hacks that apply to your phone or carrier.
  18. edlivian

edlivian New Member

I have a sprint Q9C with aGPS hack enabled. I do not have bluetooth enabled in WM6.1, but when I disable the scanning in Garmin XT to select another com port, it lists Blutooth next to COM1. But when I change the registry settings to any other com port it still does not work, and google maps doesnt work either. How do I get bluetooth off com1 so it will work for Garmin?
  19. lickwid

lickwid New Member

I faintly remember running into this problem as well. Whenever I tried to get Garmin XT Mobile working, the Bluetooth would mysteriously turn on by itself.

I was never able to figure out what caused it, but if you follow my instructions in my earlier posts, you should be able to get it working. I'd recommend starting from scratch (hard reset), but you may get it working without one.
  20. CarNutInAZ

CarNutInAZ New Member

I would like to CONFIRM that this method works. I do have to run either google maps or gpstest first to kick-start the GPS, but it works.

Also, it seems that my GPS performance has improved when using COM 1. Google maps and Microsoft Live search seems to locate the sattelites a bit faster now.

A little piece of advice.... only load the maps you need onto your SD card. At first I loaded all of North America onto my SD card. When I launched Garmin, it would take quite a while to load because of the size of the map image. Now I only have Arizona, California, Colorado loaded.

- Jason

P.S. If anyone needs any help, let me know.