Garmin Mobile XT and Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by mtbron, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

I've been running these settings for a little while and it works quite well. The COM1 registry hack is just like what the modaco COM4 activator does, except it activates COM1. The COM4 worked only sporadically for me, but COM1 has worked very consistently. Garmin Mobile xt responds very well and google maps and wls acquire satellites even more quickly with COM1 settings over the intermediate drivers.
  2. bubi73

bubi73 New Member

Thx for the follow up. I was finally able to get it work. I did the suggested registry hack and after two reboots it took. For some reason though I don't need to fire up GM or GPS Test in order to start the chip. Garmin does it by itself, weird but wth.
  3. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

Wow, thats even better. I'm very interested in exactly what you did.
  4. bubi73

bubi73 New Member

Nothing really out of the ordinary. I followed lickwid's instructions on how to install the sw and used the registry hack for COM1 port for the internal GPS of the q9c. I really didn't deviate from the instructions at all. The version of Garmin XT Mobile I'm using is 4.10.40ws.
  5. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

It seems that the version that lickwid is referring to is garmin mobile xt with GPS 10. I suppose with that version and the COM1 registry hack, gpstest is not necessary and the garmin software can simply activate it itself.
  6. topaz420

topaz420 New Member

Is there any other high-profile company (like Garmin) that makes a GPS product that just works without tweaks/hacks?

I don't mind getting my hands dirty -- but I'd like to keep my Q9c in it's original configuration.

Thanks to anyone that can help!
  7. racingtoys

racingtoys New Member

yea i just installed everything and if you follow the directions but don't install the garmin 20 part then it seems to activate the gps without any need to run any other programs.
  8. lincrich

lincrich New Member

Findimg satellites with GM XT mobile

I had no problem finding the GPS, that is after setting the GPS intermediate driver to com4 via a registry hack. My problem was the uncertainty of finding satellites when I needded to use it, even when GPS Test found multiple satellites. Out of frustration, I bought a Holux M-1200 GPS receiver, very tiny, and no problems since.
  9. hetalakapadia

hetalakapadia Member

I followed the instructions as it, but for some reason i cannot fire up Garmin XT.

10. lunus

lunus New Member

Still no luck with Garmin xt

Ive tried the settings below and COM1 works for Google maps mobile and windows live search, but its not working for Garmin xt. Everytime i set the port on garmin xt to COM1, it says searching and then it shows GPS Intermediate Driver. any help, is there something im missing? :frown:

11. lunus

lunus New Member

i forgot to meantion that I also used GPS test to get the satellites up and running. and it shows i that i have 6-9.
  12. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

the version of garmin xt posted here is not the same version I installed. Is it ok for me to post a rapidshare link of some kind of the installer I used here?

~from my Q
  13. lunus

lunus New Member

I figured it might be the version is why i cannot get it to work. MisterTedster if you dont mind can you email me the rapidshare link. I will PM you my email address.

14. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

So long as the link is NOT for a cracked version of the software, you're probably OK posting it.
  15. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

16. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Under [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\]
    Is do any of you have a DWord named "IsEnabled" and, if so, what value is it set for? My Verizon Q9c has this value and it is set for "0". When I try to change it using Mobile Registry Editor, it says "access is denied".
  17. MisterTedster

MisterTedster New Member

On mine it is set to 1. Have you used htcunlock to unlock the registry already?

~from my Q
  18. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Thanks for the info. Although I had run the htcunlock, it took the AEconfig security removal tool to give me access.

I changed mine to 1 but that still hasnt gotten my GPS accessible by Windows Mobile.

Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your HKLM Registry so I can compare it to mine?
  19. krazydawg

krazydawg New Member

Do I need to purchase an 8 GB memory card if I plan on using Garmin? I haven't purchased one yet and I'm stuck between a 4 or 8 GB.

What size is everyone using to run Garmin + other apps?
  20. brada55306

brada55306 New Member

I can also verify that this works awesome.

Brad