Garmin Mobile 10

Discussion in 'Bluetooth' started by Mad_Q, May 23, 2007.

1. Mad_Q

Mad_Q New Member

Garmin Mobile 10

Just got the Garmin Mobile 10...Just want to say. I love the way it works.

Paired flawlessly with my Q and with the Garmin XT upgrade the screen stays lit when the Q is plugged in, in the car.

It's a very small unit and will also clip to your belt or backpack and can be used for general wanderings as well. I'll try it out this weekend during a camping trip.

Paired it last nite with my laptop as well...Works great.

Also, works with Google Maps, just need GPSCOM to change the COM port.
  2. mpr131

mpr131 New Member

Garmin Mobile 10

Mad_Q,

I've read a review where it states that you can't use all the features that come with the Mobile 10.

Quote from review:
    "Cons: this is more a problem with the phone than the GPS, the Motorola Q can not use the messaging feature of the Garmin software to send your location to others.
    The Mobil 10 does not work with Google Maps, smart2go, or live update without using a hack or gspcom.exe, and using either will interfere with the Garmin Mobile XT software"

Have you tried this yet? And do you think this might be carrier specific?

Thanks!
  3. joey301

joey301 New Member

I tried the Garmin Mobile

I had a little trouble getting it onto the Q. Adding maps is not intuitive and I have not found a way yet to verify exactly what maps I have loaded, or how to alter them.

After loading the softare, it finds a satellite easily and knows where I am. That is when the biggest problems start. The software on the phone is not easy to figure out. It needs a 'home' button or something like that. There are too many back and forth buttons to get to a feature and get to the right feature to do what you want to do when you want to do it. I tried a simple thing like planning a trip from one point to another. Then, I tried to find a city that is not on that particular route to add as a via point. If the city is not 'nearby' then the GPS says it does not exist. I guess I just find the software inflexible and limited. As I was learning this, my friend just purchased the Garmin 760 and the difference is amazing. I can see how the GM10 tries to keep the same features but having to go to a page to access the buttons loses the intuitiveness associated with the 760 where the feature and the page appear together. For example, if i want to see a map of my route, on the 760, the map button shows up on the route panel, but on the GM10, I have to go back to something called My data management, then my route, then show map...etc.
    But, the worst feature is the GM10 does not get me where I to go. It repeated told me to go in exactly the wrong direction. Several times, it told me to turn left on the interstate when there is no place to turn. Finally, I think street names are essential when giving directions, otherwise, you can end up in a parking lot instead of on a street.

Maybe someone can tell me ways to like this garmin better because the price was right.

Thanks
  4. tastesminty

tastesminty New Member

"Unable to Authenticate Garmin hardware" problem

I bought Garmin Mobile 10 (4.10.20ws) for my Sprint Q (MOL3 Q2-BP_C_06.2A.00R), only to find it incredibly difficult to get working consistently. The software would run and pair over bluetooth with the receiver, but would not talk to it - I got the message quoted in the title instead.

Now, funnily, if I did a master reset and reinstalled the software, it would operate for a few days - and then stop. The Garmin tech support staff ran out of ideas - they assured me no-one else with a Q had this issue. Eventually they sent me a replacement unit, which didn't help either.

So I decided to do some detective work myself, and compared the windows registry line-by-line between the working and broken versions. I found that something (system component or application) was deleting a Bluetooth serial driver entry (see below). Re-entering and re-booting solved the problem (at least for now!). I thought I'd write a post, just in case others were experiencing this maddening problem.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Active\61]
    "Hnd"=dword:00817910
    "Name"="COM1:"
    "Key"="Drivers\\BuiltIn\\BtSerial1"
    "BusParent"=dword:000331f0
    "InterfaceType"=dword:00000000
    "BusName"="BuiltIn_0_13_0"
  5. dfhawk60

dfhawk60 New Member

i would get this problem any time after running gpscom to assign a com port to the gps10 so that other software could use the gps10. assigning a com port would allow maps4gps, google maps, and others to use the garmin but kill garminxt by not allowing it to id the gps as a garmin unit. my best guess is that you are running a program that assigns the garmin a com port
  6. srivard99

srivard99 New Member

I just received my Garmin Mobile XT last night and from my initial tests it works beautifully. The only thing I find bothersome at the moment is how long it takes the phone and the GPS receiver to find each other, even if I have the Garmin device in my Paired devices list. I haven't tested much of the features yet but I'm certainly working on it. :)
  7. jaccsi

jaccsi New Member

Tastsminty.....
    I know this is a late post, but the problem still exists. In my case I think it was caused by
    using a GPS-ID tool to configure the registry. Inadvertently used "COM1" as the GPS-ID
    interface port. This may have been what trashed my BuiltIn\BtSerial1 registry key.
    Thanks for the post, it save my back side!