Full YouTube access on the Q ; It works

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by ermax, Aug 7, 2007.

1. relaxnow

relaxnow New Member

Tips:
    - Use MobileLeap or Skweezer to compress the content. These video sites use a lot of still video images which are a lot of content to download. I've found the following method works well for me. Goto www.skweezer.net, click settings, turn paging to "Off" and Save. Now try these links from your phone...

Youtube
    http://www.skweezer.net/s.aspx?q=www.youtube.com
  2. ermax

ermax New Member

I think I created more confusion with my directions then the original directions that required a PC. Sorry about that. If you use a PC to download the link in step2 and then copy it to your Q with ActiveSync you can then use File Manager on the Q to locate and launch the file.

I don't think anyone has been successful at doing it without a PC. It sounded good in theory but I guess I need to go back to the drawing boards.

I was also trying to consolidate both CABs into one CAB but haven't been able to pull that off yet. It would be cool to just have a single TCPMP-YouTubeEdition.cab wouldn't it? :)
  3. packpackard11

packpackard11 New Member

I did that but, when I navigated to the file and went to install it, it starts for a second then, it immediately popped up and said unsuccessful. I wonder if the file is being corrupted or something....but the file size is correct.....:gasp: odd.
  4. ermax

ermax New Member

Try downloading using this link:
    http://tinyurl.com/36ntkl
  5. ermax

ermax New Member

Ok.. I finally found the problem. Well.. two problems.

First problem was that for some reason when I used Comcast's web interface to upload the FlashVideoBundle.CAB file it would be 2 bytes bigger then the original file! I don't get this at all. Anyways, I tried useing FTP to upload the file and it worked. The file size is correct now.

Second problem. Comcast has their MIME Types messed up so when you try to download the file it would just show the file like it was a text file. I figured out how to trick Comcast's webserver into using the correct MIME Type by renaming the file to flash.exe.cab. I guess having exe in the filename makes the webserver serv it up as a binary file and not an ANSI file.

COMCAST!!! FIX THIS CRAP!!

..... uhm.. I don't think they can hear me. :)

Anyways, this link should work perfect:

I also modified the link in Step2 of my first post.

This should fix just about every problem people were having with Step2. Including the errors like, Installation unsuccessful and file not supported on this device.

Have fun guys!
  6. binder

binder New Member

i did this and it worked perfectly when my phone was connected to my computer. when it's not connected i'm only at 1x (normally around a 100kbps connection when i test it) and it never opened tcpmp. I think this is probably due to the lack of network speed.....i would think that TCPMP would at least open and youtube would just play slow, but that is not the case.
  7. ermax

ermax New Member

You did a soft reset right?
  8. miro

miro New Member

The comcast link for the second cab (the Flash) file produced an error on my Q.. "installation was unsuccessful." I re-downlaoded the file from rudeboy's page and it ran fine.

TCPMP/Youtube combo is now working great on my phone. For those of you with latency issues, I believe it's pretty much hit or miss. The first three vids I tried never came up, but then I watched one that was choppy, and two that were perfect. I am on EVDO in a larger metro area...

Two thumbs up here... hats off to everyone who has contributed! If someone can figure out how to get www.funnyordie.com to work then I will be all set.:wink:
  9. ermax

ermax New Member

Which Comcast link did you use? I fixed the problem with the original link that produced the error you are talking about. Well.. I was fixed for me anyways.. Mine originally gave that error too.

The working link is:

Is that the one you used?
  10. iannuzzi4

iannuzzi4 New Member

That worked!!

Thanks so much...much appreciated!

Gianni
  11. relaxnow

relaxnow New Member

What Is Evdo?

I never got a reply to the EVDO what is it? I am in San francisco, you tube is so slow and TCPMP
    Doesn't play the vid completely.
  12. ermax

ermax New Member

EvDO is a high speed data technology that runs over CDMA networks. CDMA is the technology that Verizon, Sprint and Alltel use.

There are basically 3 ways to do data over CDMA.

QNC, very old and slow. 14.4kbps. Very rarely would you have to fall back to QNC. It is completely impossible to run YouTube this way.

1xRTT, Almost available everywhere, it runs 144kbps but averages 80 - 100kbps. Still not fast enough for YouTube but getting close.

EvDO (EVolution Data Optimized), This is the newest data technology which runs 2.4Mbps and averages about 800kbps - 1200kbps.

There are different reversions of EvDO now. EvDO Rev0 is all the Q supports though. Rev0 = 2.4Mbps, RevA = 3.1Mpbs and soon Alltel and Sprint are moving to RevB which will run 4.7+Mbps.

If you go to the home screen on the Q and then look up at the top of the screen where the signal strength and all that are located you should see a 1X or EV icon. Should be just to the left of the signal meter.

You need to see the EV icon if you want to play YouTube videos.
  13. mileman03

mileman03 New Member

hey this was really helpful. funny video
  14. ermax

ermax New Member

From what I can tell, Verizon has EvDO service in SF. Strange, you should have no problems with YouTube's speed. Do you have an EV icon on the status bar? Maybe you have something else running on your phone that is hogging bandwidth. Or maybe Verizon's network blows in SF.
  15. jonsdad

jonsdad New Member

I can play the example above, but other clips aren't playing. It just freezes for while then nothing.
  16. ermax

ermax New Member

Sometimes TCPMP hangs and the only way to get it working again is to power cycle. There are some videos that just never play but so far I would say 75% of them work fine.
  17. Qtpiejuy

Qtpiejuy New Member

I got the same error. I was able to download the first file, but when I tried to download the 2nd one I get a screen full of code that comes up...any suggestions?
  18. relaxnow

relaxnow New Member

thanks..I have the EV icon and still tcmp is not working well
  19. Qtpiejuy

Qtpiejuy New Member

GOT IT!!! SWEET!!! Mine is working Fine!!
  20. Qtpiejuy

Qtpiejuy New Member

Thanks.:2cool: