Frustrated new Q9h user - intermittent Internet

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by racherb, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Very true indeed. But honestly, I do hard resets on my phone (why does this sound perverted?) every few months. It's like my spring cleaning. It cleans out the registry and any useless files left behind by uninstalled apps. But I'm a minimalist when it comes to keeping apps on my phone. I don't have much, I only keep the ones I use the most. Same goes for hacks. But, yeah you're right when it comes to finding the root cause of something, we don't learn from hard resets at all.
  2. racherb

racherb New Member

Unfortunately, I won't be travelling for Thanksgiving, but that is a good idea. I will be travelling to LA in the next week or so, but I was hoping to resolve this before then. Regarding how the phone "hangs," it simply never connects. E-mail always says "connecting," and the browsers never open a page. Sometimes they just show a white page and nothing else. Only a reboot will allow me to connect again, and even then, sometimes not.

Yup, I do have a micro SD card in there - a nice 8 GB one. I use the Rhapsody music service, and am able to play DRM-protected songs on the Q (if I sync with Windows Media Player). Another reason I don't want to switch to a Blackberry - I'll lose that ability.

-B
  3. racherb

racherb New Member

I'd be willing to try this, but I don't see a setting for this in the settings menu. What sub category is it under? Thanks again!

-Brian
  4. racherb

racherb New Member

Hmmm... This is really interesting. I think I'll give AT&T a call and see what they tell me. If this is the case, I'd be more interested in knowing when their upgrade will be finished. How dare they upgrade their network right when I get a new phone! :laugh2:
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

if it is sprint, it is under pcs vision. not sure if the other carriers have it. also check your network settings, mine is on automatic.

edit

i meant net guard.
  6. racherb

racherb New Member

Okay, on a slightly separate note, I also have one other annoying issue, and I'm wondering if it might be related to this problem. I sync my Q9h with two computers, and when I plug it into the sync computer of either machine, the Q9h is *sometimes* not recognized by Active Sync on the computer. The computer and device will both "beep" (indicating that a new USB device has been plugged in), and the charge icon will display on the phone. But the Active Sync icon will not turn green on the computer and nothing syncs. As with the network, only a reboot will solve this.

Could this problem be related? Do I have a bad phone? Is my software screwing me up? I've never had such issues with a new device. Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

-B
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

What's net guard? Is that to block data flow? I don't think Q9h's have it.
  8. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

not sure......
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Not related. I have to plug and unplug my usb several times, most of the time, to have a successful sync. Always syncs the first time when I use bt though. AS is the problem, not your phone.
  10. racherb

racherb New Member

I'm on AT&T and don't see such a setting anywhere. Also, I've been told NOT to set your network to automatic, and to use "Internet" or "WAP" as the type. Mine is currently set to WAP, which was the original setting.

-Brian
  11. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

i never set mine, it came set on automatic. dont know what it will hurt if you change it. at this point what do you have to loose.
  12. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

let me ramble on. if you are set to WAP and your internet is checking for a WAP version of a site and their isnt one, what will happen? i may be looking at this in the wrong way, maybe someone can shed some light.
  13. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

You don't need to go far. Just go to an AT&T store. All of them have repeaters aimed at them so they can show you what a great signal you'll be getting on your phone (while you are in the store).
  14. cindra

cindra Active Member

Hi Brian,
    Why are you using PocketMirror? Don't you use Outlook and ActiveSync/WMDC? I thought PocketMirror was to sync Palms with Outlook? That's the only thing that might messing with your settings/service, especially maybe email?

Anyone else have input on this?
  15. racherb

racherb New Member

Good question on the Pocket Mirror. I didn't *want* to have to use it, but I have multiple calendars in Outlook that I need to sync. Active Sync, by itself, only supports the primary calendar. This was my only solution, and when it works, it does work great.

-B