Frustrated new Q9h user - intermittent Internet

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by racherb, Nov 25, 2008.

1. racherb

racherb New Member

Frustrated new Q9h user - intermittent Internet

Hello Q9h users,

I recently purchased a Q9h to replace my aging Treo 700p. And while I love the faster 3G speeds that the Q offers, I find that my Internet connection is intermittent at best. Several times during the day, connectivity will simply stop for no reason, even though the little "3G" icon is still present in the corner (right above the bars). In the meantime, my e-mails aren't coming in (I've set my e-mail to check every 5 minutes), and I don't know it. Neither PIE nor Opera will connect either. I have to restart the phone to get Internet back, and even then, sometimes it won't solve the problem; I have to restart again immediately after that. I've already tried a Master Reset, but the problem returned after one day of use.

I'm getting really frustrated with this phone because I can't rely on it for e-mail. Is this a common problem with the Q9h? Are there any tricks to solving this issue? I'd appreciate any help, because I'm about to ditch this phone for something else. If the Internet worked, I'd be so happy, because I love all the other features...

-Brian
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard...

are you sure it's the Q and not the service ?
  3. racherb

racherb New Member

Thanks for your response! I see my "3G" icon on the top of my screen (both in the middle and the smaller "3G" icon above the bars), so I assume that means I have service. But the Internet service is still sporadic. In Opera, the device will simply hang while it states "looking up host" in the bottom. With e-mail, the phone will say "connecting" at the top, but never get any farther.

For example, the phone was working just 10 minutes ago as I accessed some links in Opera. I put the phone down and tested it again just 5 minutes later, and it no longer connected. So I had to restart it yet again, and then it worked again. I didn't move from my chair, so my signal strength should have been the same.

Is it possible that I have a defective phone? This thing worked so well for the first 10 days that I had it. Now it's driving me crazy!

-B
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

what more indicates if data transfer is possible (at least on the Q1/Q9c) is the 2 arrows.. even if my Q9c shows the 'EV' icon, it sometimes is still not possible to go on-line and/or get mail...

never the less, the internet/data on my Q is definitely not sporadic.. more the other way around.. no connection is sporadic.
  5. racherb

racherb New Member

Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean by the two arrows. And are you saying that your Internet connectivity also doesn't work sometimes? If so, how often?

Honestly, mine was rock solid (worked 8+ hours a day, checking e-mail every 5 minutes) for the first week or so that I had it. But now, I just can't count on it.

-B
  6. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

I can tell you from my experience with the Q9h. I NEVER get the 3G signal....that just because where i'm located. I drive 2hrs for a bigger city i'm good. Anyway, just for comparison, All i get here intown is the edge network. Really dont have problems. I've downloaded most my apps on the Q9h. I can sit at work and browse/post on everythingq all day on the Edge network. I use Twitter/facebook/dashwire/myspace/GPS on the Edge network. I get all my (imap)gmail on the Edge network...

When i see 2 icons. Its a "big E" and a little E above the bars.

BTW..3g is much better than Edge :) So I don't know you carrier or you location as far as good network connection. But if you have 3G...From my experiences with just Edge, you should be good. It really could be a phone or software issue..I've never had any problems with browsing on edge, unless i had a terrible signal. Edge network IMO is not bad at all.
  7. cindra

cindra Active Member

Welcome to Everything Q!

We hope you enjoy hanging around. :)
    Don't forget--There is a search area at the top of every page and "sticky" posts in different forums. Chances are your answer is already there.

This has been a canned, but very heartfelt, welcome. :tounge:

Hi Brian,
    I don't have the answer to your problem, but I don't think the Q9h has the arrow icons that the other Qs have. Sounds more like network problem than phone problem, though. I'd call AT&T and verify your settings and see what they have to say about it. Maybe you're in a fringe reception area. If the settings are good you'll still be in your return period to get a replacement.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Check to see if :

opera/menu/tools/settings/connections/[is set to "the internet or WAP" and the "automatically detect settings" is not checked]

pie/menu/tools/options/connections/[is set to "the internet or WAP" and the "automatically detect settings" is not checked]

and also, the 2 arrows discussed earlier is the equivalent to the small 3G, E, or G on top of the signal bars on our Q9h. So it is not your coverage if you see this and have a strong signal.
  9. racherb

racherb New Member

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies. Here are my responses so far:

I've check that my connection settings in PIE and Opera are correct (WAP and Automatic NOT checked). But I should also point out that my e-mail also works intermittently, and I don't believe such settings affect the e-mail app.

Also, I live in Seattle, so I know my signal strength should be good. Generally, I see a full four bars in the upper right corner, with a little "3G" over top of it. And I work downtown Seattle, so I generally get a very strong signal. But the problem persists when at work regardless.

As far as software installed, here's what I have: Dashwire, FakeCursor, FriendMobilizer, Fring, Google Maps, GPSID Settings, HandiTV, Kinoma FreePlay, Live Search, mDigger Reader, MusicID, Moto Q Flashlight, Papyrus, PdaNet, Pocket Mirror, Pocket Quicken, Resco Explorer, Resco Registry, RoboForm, Saman Smartphone Battery Meter, Skyfire, Skype, Smartphone Notes, Sprite Backup, TomTom 6, Total Commander, Weather Watcher, WorldMate Live, and Yahoo! Go. Would any of these cause my problem? Furthermore, is it possible to reset your phone to it's original settings (with no apps installed) like you can with a Palm device?

Again, thanks for all your responses. I still want this device to work, especially because my two favorite functions (TomTom and syncing with Rhapsody) DO work with this device! This is a work phone, and my company prefers Blackberries, in which case I'd give up those two functions on AT&T.

-B
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Two ways to do a hard reset.
    start/system tools/master clear [password: 000000 (six zeros)]
    or
    hold z+e+power bottons

Just make sure you back everything up first. Coz it erases everything.
  11. zelendel

zelendel Member

I think it has something to do with the network, as I have the same issues that you do and am kinda in the same area just way north of you. I have spoken with ATT and they tell me it is due to them upgrading the network.
  12. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

This works for some, Turn the roam guard off. Not sure if that has come up. Its in the settings menu.
    A master reset is a last resort and probably wont solve anything.
  13. I8qbert

I8qbert Active Member

sounds like a network issue and not a phone issue...+1 with dafoxs. master reset probally will not fix the network issue.
  14. Hexx

Hexx New Member

Probably not of much value but if you do happen to travel soon due to the Holiday or work, etc... perhaps you will see a difference... if so, definitely your local network... may be a proxy issue or a DNS issue (more likely). when you say it "hangs" do you mean it is trying to locate the next web page? Once it has found it does the download or rendering seem fairly good? If you are dealing with the between web pages issue that is different from the data speed you have once things are "locked in".

Best of luck.. I have found the Q9h 3G to be highly speedy (yes that is a technical term)

If you don't have a storage card I would get one... cheap really and you can get a lot of space... just put everything on it (original cab files, etc plus install as many apps as you can there).
  15. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Like i said the edge network is really decent for me her. But i still hate all you that have a constant 3G conn. when i head to Orlando on business, i just love it that i can get 3G.
  16. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

that is what I said. Someone prior said do a reset. that is why I said It wont help.
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

The op was the one who asked on how to the do a reset. No one suggested it.
  18. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Oke dokeeeeeee
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I know how much you hate the "R" word :tounge:.
  20. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Got that right. Its not a cure all. i would want to know the problem first so not to repeat it. I know now not to mess with those hidden system files.