From Q9m WM 6.1 to Saga?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by SgtTurtle, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SgtTurtle

SgtTurtle New Member

From Q9m WM 6.1 to Saga?

Okay, I have searched this forum thoroughly and read all of the posts on this topic, but want to know more.

I have a Q9m with the WM 6.1 ROM and extended battery. I love my Q. I have had it since November 2007. Not only do I like the functionality of the phone, but it also seems to be indestructible. My Q looks like it did the day I bought it. I have never had a phone hold up so well.

Enter the dilemma. I am eligible for a New Every Two credit next month. Of all the phones Verizon currently has, I am leaning towards the Saga. I handled a mock-up at my local store (they had phones to purchase, but no floor demo). If my Q9m died tomorrow, without hesitation, I would pick up a Saga.

The thing is, my Q9m is still going strong and I am still happy with it, although my eyes are beginning to wander. Do I pull the trigger on a new Saga, or do I wait?

If Verizon really unlocks the GPS, it would be a no brainer for me. Right now, though, on paper, I can't see that much more that the Saga offers that would be useful to me. In better economic times, the GSM radio would be enticing for international travel, but international travel is on hold right now for me. Wi-Fi is cool, but I have an unlimited data plan and live in a city with excellent coverage, so I am not sure of the true utility of that.

While money is an issue, between my $100 credit and my Verizon VIP discount, I would not really have to pay that much for the Saga. Probably less than $100 when it was all added up.

Am I missing something? Does the Saga offer something over my Q9m that I am not seeing? Should I stick it out and wait for 4G devices and/or WM 6.5? I realize posting in a Saga forum, I am going to get some biased results, but I want to hear all of the pros on upgrading the Q9m to the Saga.
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

there are quite a few saga/Q upgrade debates...look around! Im pretty darn slap happy with my saga..but I still say read all the threads that have been started before you!! =)
  3. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

I still say "if" VZW/Motorola would release the Nappy, these questions wouldn't even be posted. :) -Q
    (2 U from my Q9Nap)
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

SgtTurtle, i had the same dilema i loved my original Q i had even though it was very old and i even by passed my 2 year upgrade and gave it to my brothers phone so he could get a Q and get away from the LG he had. Than i found out about the saga which is exactly like the Q just with more features and everything, has the same keypad as the original q which i loved the keys how they werent too close or stuck together with rubber in between the keys, just a great touch to the Q so I never wanted to give that up, til i heard alot about the saga and how its just like the Q and it really is. I found out my brothers upgrade was a couple months ago since i gave him mine over the summer i used his and got the saga and i havent looked back.

The way i looked at it was if i dont like it I have 30 days to return the phone and well i didnt need that because i wont be returning this saga since it rocks :)

The wifi is great to have esp in an area where you may not have service (in my case my job we have no cell signal anywhere, but we have wireless so I just connect to that)

The optical Mouse is also a great addition to the phone esp since im a computer guy.

There are plenty of other threads out there about the phone with more detail written by eqbob which convinced me to get the saga in the first place, plus there is a posting from a member Not Storming switching from his storm to the saga.

Hope this helps.
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

are you like the napoleon's pimp or something?
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

It cracks me up every time I see a grown man refer to his phone as a "Nappy" :tounge:
  7. EQBob

EQBob New Member

This thread features a turtle, a frog and a dragonfly all talking to each other. Nature is truly wonderful <G>.

SgtTurtle - nobody can answer the question of what to do for you of course, except yourself. That being said, I think you're going to be waiting awhile if you do a holdout for 4G devices. I don't think Verizon's LTE service is due to even get tested for another year (?) and wide scale roll-out beyond metro areas is probably well beyond that. I don't follow the cell industry that closely, so I may be off on timeframes, but it certainly isn't imminently available.

I never had a Q beyond the original Q. I diddled with the 9m in the store, but hated the music centric stuff tossed on it. Not what *I* wanted a phone for. To *me*, the Saga is a perfect combination of a strong corporate mobile computing device that gives me email and basic editing capabilities (as needed), plus a fun platform for some games, Sudoku, browsing, my email accounts, etc. The combination of features, battery life, look, feel, keyboard, mouse, screen, etc, works for me. I like WinMo, I don't like Blackberry's. I detest the whole screen press routine of the Storm. Add in the flexibility of the platform and the ability to customize it and add programs to it almost without limitation, and it's what I chose. I'm (estactically) happy with it and wouldn't look back.

Again tho', those are my opinions and you'll have to decided for yourself what's important to you. If you have any specific questions, there are several folks here that can probably answer.

Bottom line is I use my Saga every day, and like it more every day.
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Haha well said bob, esp the top part about the animals all talking to one another.

I too if not understood by my posting up top will never look back at my Q and truely miss it, im happy i didnt play with the saga in store just because I'm not sure what i would have felt at the time, glad i ordered it online and got it shipped worse came to worse i shipped it back but this phone is not leaving my side thats for sure.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

The Q has a better screen for outside sunlight viewing but the Saga has more real estate. The speakers are better on the Q. Speaker phone on the Saga is poor. Q is tougher, less likely to do things on it's own and Q9 has a better keyboard. Camera is way better on the Saga. OS is arguably better (well more capable). I prefer the Q navigation except for web browsing. Actaully I rarely use the Saga in mouse mode. I leave it in nav mode to make it more Q-like.

Wifi is good for tethering. I don't use it for internet to AP. I use the EV. GPS is coming! Until then I use the Wifi to locate me. Works good. It will be the perfect phone when gps is open. I'll be a loyal VZW fan then.

GSM is a great bonus but not a deal maker.
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Hmmm....I think the speaker phone on the Saga is better and I think the screen sucks on both for reading in sunlight...on neither is it really possible <G>
  11. larsdennert

did you have a Q1 or Q9?
  12. EQBob

EQBob New Member

The original WinMo 5 black Q on Verizon.
  13. larsdennert

Yea the screen on the Q1&2 was pretty bad outside too. The Q9 had a much better screen with a light sensor. It was readable outside. The touch screen coating on the Saga doesn't help.